    If I click "cancel" twice then "my computer" and most progs still work but
    it's driving me nuts! Windows update is up to date by the way
    OS is 98SE. & pro is AMD 1200,

    Steffi, Sep 29, 2003

  2. Steffi

    Don Schmidt Guest

    It sounds like your computer has Windows 98 SE that was Updated from the
    Windows 98SE Update disk. The computer is probably asking for it to
    repair/replace some damaged or missing files.

    --
    Don
    Vancouver, USA, a great city in one of the 45+ countries in America!

    Don Schmidt, Sep 29, 2003

  3. Steffi

    Bruce Beck Guest

    "Steffi" <> wrote in

    > Every time I start to open "My computer" or go to start a
    > program I get a message saying windows installer is needed
    > and to insert "System Update Disk". I don't have - and
    > never have had - a "System update disk". I've tried
    > downloading Windows installer from the internet and I
    > installed that but it doesn't make any difference, I still
    > get the message. If I click "cancel" twice then "my
    > computer" and most progs still work but it's driving me
    > nuts! Windows update is up to date by the way OS is 98SE. &
    > pro is AMD 1200,

    It's sound like you might have been hit by a virus. I just deal
    with one and was getting a little box poping up saying:
    MSTASK32 has preformed a illegal opertion
    with to selection Close or Detail.
    From McAFee virus information webpage I found out it was the
    worm virus. by which my system is now free and clear of it.

    Bruce.

    Bruce Beck, Sep 29, 2003
  4. Steffi

    Shep© Guest

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 08:17:27 +0100, In this world we created "Steffi"
    <> wrote :

    >Every time I start to open "My computer" or go to start a program I get a
    >message saying windows installer is needed and to insert "System Update
    >Disk". I don't have - and never have had - a "System update disk". I've
    >tried downloading Windows installer from the internet and I installed that
    >but it doesn't make any difference, I still get the message.
    >If I click "cancel" twice then "my computer" and most progs still work but
    >it's driving me nuts! Windows update is up to date by the way
    >OS is 98SE. & pro is AMD 1200,

    http://tinyurl.com/p33m
    will help :p

    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    It's a G not a J in jmx to reply :)

    Shep©, Sep 29, 2003
  5. Steffi

    Steffi Guest

    "Shep©" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 08:17:27 +0100, In this world we created "Steffi"
    > <> wrote :
    >
    > >Every time I start to open "My computer" or go to start a program I get a
    > >message saying windows installer is needed and to insert "System Update
    > >Disk". I don't have - and never have had - a "System update disk". I've
    > >tried downloading Windows installer from the internet and I installed

    that
    > >but it doesn't make any difference, I still get the message.
    > >If I click "cancel" twice then "my computer" and most progs still work

    but
    > >it's driving me nuts! Windows update is up to date by the way
    > >OS is 98SE. & pro is AMD 1200,
    > >

    > http://tinyurl.com/p33m
    > will help :p
    >
    > HTH :)

    Thanks for the help but it's definitely not infected. Got a brand new, up to
    date, authentic Norton AV3 on and has been repeatedly checked.

    Steffi, Sep 30, 2003
  6. Steffi

    Steffi Guest

    Steffi, Sep 30, 2003
  7. Steffi

    Peter Guest

    Steffi <> wrote in message

    > "Shep©" <> wrote in message
    > > On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 08:17:27 +0100, In this world we created "Steffi"
    > > <> wrote :
    > >
    > > >Every time I start to open "My computer" or go to start a program I get

    > > >message saying windows installer is needed and to insert "System Update
    > > >Disk". I don't have - and never have had - a "System update disk". I've
    > > >tried downloading Windows installer from the internet and I installed

    > that
    > > >but it doesn't make any difference, I still get the message.
    > > >If I click "cancel" twice then "my computer" and most progs still work

    > but
    > > >it's driving me nuts! Windows update is up to date by the way
    > > >OS is 98SE. & pro is AMD 1200,
    > > >

    > > http://tinyurl.com/p33m
    > > will help :p
    > >
    > > HTH :)
    > >

    > Thanks for the help but it's definitely not infected. Got a brand new, up

    > date, authentic Norton AV3 on and has been repeatedly checked.

    Try a ScanReg first of all. If this reveals nothing unusual then try
    re-installing 98 SE with your system disk. Just install it over what you
    already have on your hard drive. It's possible a system file has been
    corrupted somewhere along the line, and this might fix the problem.

    CC

    Peter, Sep 30, 2003
  8. Steffi

    Shep© Guest

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 07:12:46 +0100, In this world we created "Steffi"
    <> wrote :

    >"Shep©" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 08:17:27 +0100, In this world we created "Steffi"
    >> <> wrote :
    >>
    >> >Every time I start to open "My computer" or go to start a program I get a
    >> >message saying windows installer is needed and to insert "System Update
    >> >Disk". I don't have - and never have had - a "System update disk". I've
    >> >tried downloading Windows installer from the internet and I installed

    >that
    >> >but it doesn't make any difference, I still get the message.
    >> >If I click "cancel" twice then "my computer" and most progs still work

    >but
    >> >it's driving me nuts! Windows update is up to date by the way
    >> >OS is 98SE. & pro is AMD 1200,
    >> >

    >> http://tinyurl.com/p33m
    >> will help :p
    >>
    >> HTH :)
    >>

    >Thanks for the help but it's definitely not infected. Got a brand new, up to
    >date, authentic Norton AV3 on and has been repeatedly checked.

    Not infected maybe but damaged maybe :/
    Registry Repair Tool
    http://a64.g.akamai.net/7/64/2015/2003-09-18-15-/download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/undo.reg

    This site has tools, but there may be a long download delay:
    https://www.europe.f-secure.com/v-descs/swen.shtml

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    It's a G not a J in jmx to reply :)

    Shep©, Sep 30, 2003
  9. Steffi

    Buffalo Guest

    "Steffi" <> wrote in message

    > "Shep> Thanks for the help but it's definitely not infected. Got a brand

    new, up to
    > date, authentic Norton AV3 on and has been repeatedly checked.

    Did this problem start just after you installed or uninstalled any program,
    including Norton?
    Try downloading, installing, UPDATING, and running these free programs:

    AdAware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://security.kolla.de/

    Spyware Blaster

    Buffalo, Sep 30, 2003
  10. Steffi

    Mark F. Guest

    Don Schmidt <_address> wrote in message
    > It sounds like your computer has Windows 98 SE that was Updated from

    the
    > Windows 98SE Update disk. The computer is probably asking for it to
    > repair/replace some damaged or missing files.
    >

    > --
    > Don
    > Vancouver, USA, a great city in one of the 45+ countries in America!

    It doesn't matter which "type" of CD you use as long as it is the same
    version (e.g., Win98, Win98SE). Both types are full OEM with all files
    and I have used both types for full installations. When the upgrade
    prompts you for a previous copy insert the other version in the CDROM
    drive and point to that drive. This person may have a preloaded OS and
    there may be a bulk installation disk(s) with the OS and drivers, games,
    extras, that came with the PC. Compaq's have these "all in one" CD's.
    Some preloaded systems have the entire Win98 cab set on the hard drive.

    I would start with a registry restore in DOS first from the startup
    diskette.

    Mark F., Oct 3, 2003
  11. Steffi

    Mark F. Guest

    Steffi <> wrote in message
    > Every time I start to open "My computer" or go to start a program I

    get a
    > message saying windows installer is needed and to insert "System

    Update
    > Disk". I don't have - and never have had - a "System update disk".

    I've
    > tried downloading Windows installer from the internet and I installed

    that
    > but it doesn't make any difference, I still get the message.
    > If I click "cancel" twice then "my computer" and most progs still work

    but
    > it's driving me nuts! Windows update is up to date by the way
    > OS is 98SE. & pro is AMD 1200,

    I am thinking registry or system file corruption. If you do not have a
    Windows 98 CD, look on your hard drive for a folder marked "Win98" or
    the like. There will be a bunch of .cab files. Some preloaded PC's have
    the entire OS on the hard drive so that you can make an install disk. If
    you do not have a Windows 98 startup diskette you can use one created
    from any computer running Windows 98.

    If you have a Windows startup diskette reboot the computer in DOS mode
    (A:\>) with it and run "scanreg /fix" on the DOS command line. See if
    that helps.

    Here are the options for ScanReg:
    /? for help
    /restore to restore from a previous backup (choose a backup)
    /fix to repair the registry
    /backup to create a new backup copy

    You can also restore damaged system files by extracting them from the
    cab files. This is done using the extract.exe.

    Here is the syntax for extracting:

    EXTRACT [/Y] [/A] [/D | /E] [/L dir] cabinet [filename ...]
    EXTRACT [/Y] source [newname]
    EXTRACT [/Y] /C source destination

    cabinet - Cabinet file (contains two or more files).
    filename - Name of the file to extract from the cabinet. Wild cards
    and
    multiple filenames (separated by blanks) may be used.
    source - Compressed file (a cabinet with only one file).
    newname - New filename to give the extracted file. If not supplied,
    the
    original name is used.
    /A Process ALL cabinets. Follows cabinet chain starting in
    first
    cabinet mentioned.
    /C Copy source file to destination (to copy from DMF disks).
    /D Display cabinet directory (use with filename to avoid
    extract).
    /E Extract (use instead of *.* to extract all files).
    /L dir Location to place extracted files (default is current
    directory).
    /Y Do not prompt before overwriting an existing file.

    HTH (c:

    Mark F., Oct 3, 2003