    temporary internet files?
    If this is all there is, it seems like a rip-off.

    Rob, A+

    Magnum, Nov 9, 2003

  2. Magnum

    RussS Guest

    Possibly more than a few just do that. When we do it (not advertised) we do
    a whole bunch more. As our rates are $90 hr I think $80-$00 is about right.

    RussS, Nov 9, 2003

  3. Magnum

    hootnholler Guest

    Hey Magnum,

    I guess it's like most things in life when it comes to repairs. It depends
    on how much it is worth to you, and what type of person is doing the work.
    For example, I started out in industrial trades, and to me, a $600 brake job
    on a car is money out the window. Although, to an Aunt Edna, this is well
    worth the cost... unless Edna is Mrs. Goodwrench ;-)

    As Russ and Barry mentioned, there are quite a few different areas of
    'tune-ups'. To me, if I were to do this for a customer, I would open the
    case, clean it up, move wiring for airflow, etc... then check their hardware
    for any defects by inspection and software. Then, depending on their
    operating system, would do some general cleaning and possibly some 'tweaks'
    to optimize performance. Plus, it pays to know your customer. As Barry
    pointed out, if this person is a 'legit' user of comptuers, uses for
    financial records, etc... wiping cookies could be a bad idea. Run adaware
    and spybot, plus a good trojan scanner After that, suggest some good
    security ideas.. If the user is a proficient user of pr0n, you bet I'd
    delete history and cookies, then run the programs, and suggest the best
    antivirus there is at the time...

    I guess to summarize, it depends on the service. It always pays to try and
    do the best for the customer, and the customer should do their best to see
    that they are getting the services that they require. Remember, the only
    dumb question there is, is the one that is never asked!

    Hoot

    hootnholler, Nov 9, 2003
  4. Magnum

    Geoff Guest

    Magnum wrote:
    > I've seen service companies offer System Tune-Ups for $80-$100+.
    > Is there anything else involved in a "tune-up" other than removing
    > spy-ware with Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware and deleting cookies and
    > temporary internet files?
    > If this is all there is, it seems like a rip-off.
    >
    > Rob, A+

    yup, thats all there is too it
    personaly i'd add some other stuff like defrag, scandisk with surface scan,
    bin off spyware, do antivirus scan

    ain't the IT industry great
    value for money if ever i saw it !
    :)

    Geoff, Nov 9, 2003
  5. On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 05:03:06 GMT, Barry Watzman
    <> wrote:

    >Mostly, it's a rip-off.
    >
    >You would want to CLEAN out the computer, physically. The amount of
    >dust in a PC after just 6-12 weeks can be amazing, especially ones that
    >sit on the floor.
    >
    >Remove adware, yes, and do a virus scan and defrag the hard drive. I
    >would NOT remove cookies, however. I've seen cases were people logged
    >onto their bank or stockbroker, the cookie made it automatic. Remove
    >the cookie and they need a userid and password. Many of the people
    >didn't even know that they HAD a userID and password, and of the rest,
    >they knew that they had one, but not what it was. When you killed the
    >cookie, they were screwed.

    Very good observation... :)

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Nov 10, 2003