    have Win 98 installed.
    I can use Scan Disc with Virus system running.

    , Aug 10, 2003

  2. trout Guest

    wrote:

    > Need advice,In order to use Disc Fragmenter I have go safe mode.I can
    > only get 80% of program in system disc.I have turned of my Virus
    > program as I am told
    > that there is somethig else running.It does not help I
    > have Win 98 installed.
    > I can use Scan Disc with Virus system running.

    Perhaps this free program might help:
    EndItAll 2: <http://home.ptd.net/~don5408/toolbox/enditall/>
    --
    "Helps to find, and close all unnecessary running programs."

    trout, Aug 10, 2003

  3. Unk Guest

    On 9 Aug 2003 17:50:57 -0700, wrote:
    >Need advice,In order to use Disc Fragmenter I have go safe mode.I can only get 80%
    >of program in system disc.I have turned of my Virus program as I am told
    >that there is somethig else running.It does not help I
    >have Win 98 installed.
    >I can use Scan Disc with Virus system running.

    Make sure you disabled the screen saver and task scheduler. Actually, the
    the safe mode is a perfectly acceptable way to defrag because no drivers
    were loaded which could cause a disk write and a defrag restart.

    You also might want to try the newer 32bit Version 4.90.3000
    that comes with Windows ME. It is fully compatible with Win 95/98/98SE.
    http://www.absey-vine.co.uk/software/defrag.exe
    http://www.sandylee.net/downloads/winme_defrag.exe

    Another way is to download & run "EndItAll", a program that can
    kill everything but systray and explorer, then run defrag.
    ftp://ftp.mgul.ac.ru/pub/Win/Tools/ProcView/EndItAll2.zip
    http://colormar.no-ip.com/freew/Utils/EndItAll2.zip
    http://home.ptd.net/~don5408/toolbox/enditall/

    Another possible cause:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q229154

    Defragmenter Troubleshooting (Some nice tips here)
    http://www.sandylee.net/computers/defrag.html
    http://www.bootdisk.com/protips.htm#failsafe

    Unk

    Unk, Aug 10, 2003
  4. Jeremy Moss Guest

    What's the brand name of your disk defragmenter?

    Jeremy Moss, Aug 11, 2003