    Thanks for any help!
    --
    jt in Cat town

    =?Utf-8?B?VGlsbGVlag==?=, Jul 12, 2006

  2. Check for overheating. Clean the databunnies out of the exhaust vents.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 12, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?VGlsbGVlag==?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 19:47:01 -0700, Tilleej
    <> wrote:

    >after an initial period of about 20 min. my system freezes for about 10
    >seconds every 40 to 65 seconds, i.e. mouse, keyboard, screen. After 10 sec's
    >it all returns to normal. After 1 hr of use, freezing occurs quicker, with
    >the same 10sec down time. The only other symptom is the CD writer locks
    >up(tray won't open/close) and is not recognized as a drive on My Computer.

    Maybe it's a faulty CD-writer. Windows can't handle bad CD-media really
    well, and tends to freeze, while vigorously trying to read the data of the
    drive. Have you maybe got a CD in the drive? If I'm not mistaken, Windows
    automatically polls CD/DVD-drives, and if the CD is bad, or is good, but
    the reader is bad, I imagine such a thing like freezing can happen.
    So I would suggest to disconnect the CD-drive to see if that solves the
    problem.

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Jul 12, 2006
  4. * Jud Hendrix:

    > Maybe it's a faulty CD-writer. Windows can't handle bad CD-media really
    > well, and tends to freeze, while vigorously trying to read the data of the
    > drive.

    Almsot right except that it's not Windows who can't handle it but some
    drives which just hang themselves away and (which is the real problem)
    also the complete IDE channel they're connected to which usually results
    in a frozen system.

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Jul 12, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?VGlsbGVlag==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    So if he disconnects the drive, the problem should go away. If so, replace
    the drive.

    John Barnes, Jul 12, 2006
  6. yes. But also, just cleaning the drive (and the whole system) is likely to
    improve the problem.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 12, 2006
  7. Thanks, we'll see if it helps.
    --
    jt in Cat town

    =?Utf-8?B?VGlsbGVlag==?=, Jul 14, 2006
  8. what does this cleaning include? I just took 40psi to the whole cabinet.

    --
    jt in Cat town

    =?Utf-8?B?VGlsbGVlag==?=, Jul 14, 2006
  9. That should clean out the dust pretty well. How's your hay fever? :)

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 14, 2006
  10. =?Utf-8?B?VGlsbGVlag==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    If disconnecting solved your problem, cleaning involves removing the drive
    and installing a new one. The new ones are too cheap to spend much time
    trying to get an old one to work. Unless you have nothing better to do with
    your time. Double check any SATA connections before you close up. They can
    become loose and Windows will downgrade your transfer mode without warning.
    Has happened a couple of times for me.

    John Barnes, Jul 14, 2006
  11. If that improved the situation, and you've done the reseating cables thing,
    great. But if it shows up again, get a new drive. Given the cost ot these
    things...

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 14, 2006
  12. I almost agree. But if blowing it out (or better, vacuuming it out) actually
    fixes it for some significan't period of time, then buying a new one seems a
    bit over reacting. Especially since there's too much waste in the world as
    it is. But I wouldn't spend all that much time trying to fix it, for sure.
    Given the current costs.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 14, 2006
  13. Thanks to all, looks like the DVD drive was the culprit.
    --
    jt in Cat town

    =?Utf-8?B?VGlsbGVlag==?=, Jul 17, 2006