    Anyone any ideas from this brief description and anaylysis?

    Thanks
    Robert

    Rv!, Aug 9, 2004

  2. Rv!

    Stuart Guest

    Rv! wrote:

    > A brief post due to time. Any help appreciated.
    >
    > My system (gigabyte GA7n400L, Athlon 2.6, 256Mb)
    > has a problem, not likely to be software.
    >
    > The PC stutters every second or two. This happens under all OS software.
    > Tested a new 2K, XPPro and Linux. Sound will click and stop for a split
    > second while the mouse will stagger. It's pretty annoying as it makes the
    > machine unuseable for sound or video. This has just started happening.
    >
    > Anyone any ideas from this brief description and anaylysis?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Robert

    Does this only happen when you are playing multimedia? Update your
    motherboard, graphics and soundcard drivers and check for conflicts
    between any of your hardware devices in device manager.

    If it is happening all the time (whether running multimedia or not) then
    follow the next bit:-

    Your power supply could be dying or it may be poor cooling. Easiest
    thing to check first is the cooling, are all the fans running okay? Keep
    the side off for a while and clean the fans if they are really dusty, if
    it keeps doing the same thing then it is probably the power supply.

    Even though I suggested cleaning the fans it is still most likely your
    power supply is failing and just not providing you with a clean supply.

    Stuart

    Stuart, Aug 9, 2004

  3. Rv!

    Jerry G. Guest

    Check to see what is running in the background. Investigate the error logs,
    if your operating system has such.

    It is possible that something in the background is using a lot of resources.
    Use the resource monitor to investigate the resources.

    Also check for any Trojan, Adware, or viruses running in the background. If
    the machine was running properly before, and this is a new fault, then there
    was definitely a change somewhere. It is also possible that you installed a
    new software that has some operation, or replaced some system files that are
    causing errors.

    If the power supply is failing, this can also attribute to some erratic
    operation, but not usually to what you are describing here. I have also seen
    defective disk drives, and RAM's cause erratic operation.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ==========================

    Jerry G., Aug 9, 2004
  4. Rv!

    Rv! Guest

    "Stuart" <> wrote in message

    > Does this only happen when you are playing multimedia? Update your
    > motherboard, graphics and soundcard drivers and check for conflicts
    > between any of your hardware devices in device manager.

    The problem is present during all operations when it is happening. That
    sounds an odd
    statement but it seem to be noticable even during thr first stages of W2K
    start up, ie the
    first sweeping line.

    > If it is happening all the time (whether running multimedia or not) then
    > follow the next bit:-

    > Your power supply could be dying or it may be poor cooling. Easiest
    > thing to check first is the cooling, are all the fans running okay? Keep
    > the side off for a while and clean the fans if they are really dusty, if
    > it keeps doing the same thing then it is probably the power supply.

    I think I will borrow a PSU from work and try it out with this. I've got a
    scope and
    can check the supply in-situ but not got round to this yet.

    > Even though I suggested cleaning the fans it is still most likely your
    > power supply is failing and just not providing you with a clean supply.

    The machine has plenty of fans as I tend to leave the machine on 24/7. The
    Athlon2.6 CPU runs at around 55c and the case is at 33c right now. There are
    two
    intake fans and two output pans on the case(plus PSU=3). The two intake fans
    run
    over the 3x HDD and these run at about 31c.

    -----
    I certainly feel it is hardware related as it happens under all OS's tested.
    Trying the PSU first is a fair option, and one I will to tomorrow.

    Thanks
    Robert

    Rv!, Aug 9, 2004
  5. Rv!

    Rv! Guest

    "Jerry G." <> wrote in message
    > Check to see what is running in the background. Investigate the error

    logs,
    > if your operating system has such.
    >
    > It is possible that something in the background is using a lot of

    resources.
    > Use the resource monitor to investigate the resources.
    > Also check for any Trojan, Adware, or viruses running in the background.

    If
    > the machine was running properly before, and this is a new fault, then

    there
    > was definitely a change somewhere. It is also possible that you installed

    > new software that has some operation, or replaced some system files that

    are
    > causing errors.

    I don't think this can be the case as it happens under three tested OS's as
    default.

    > If the power supply is failing, this can also attribute to some erratic
    > operation, but not usually to what you are describing here. I have also

    seen
    > defective disk drives, and RAM's cause erratic operation.

    I think it's more likely to be this. Time to borrow kit from work and start
    substituting!

    Thanks for the input, I'm sure I will post back if I find it! :)

    Robert

    Rv!, Aug 9, 2004
  6. Rv!

    Rv! Guest

    Earlier I wrote...
    > A brief post due to time. Any help appreciated.
    >
    > My system (gigabyte GA7n400L, Athlon 2.6, 256Mb)
    > has a problem, not likely to be software.
    >
    > The PC stutters every second or two. This happens under all OS software.
    > Tested a new 2K, XPPro and Linux. Sound will click and stop for a split
    > second while the mouse will stagger. It's pretty annoying as it makes the
    > machine unuseable for sound or video. This has just started happening.

    ----------
    Thanks for the replies to the original post. I've investigated slightly
    further now...

    Well, The PSU is OK as I've swapped out a 450w unit and the problem
    persists.
    I've scoped the main power rails and they're as clean as to be expected from
    an SMPSU!
    I've not yet gone the memory or processor swap out as they're simply not
    available to swap.

    The problem feel like it's an interrupt going wrong, an regular-ish jitter
    particularly noticable
    on video and sound but also on general mouse movement. Because this happens
    with different
    HDD's and different OS's (new install; no drivers and with drivers) Im
    certainly predicting a
    hardware problem rather than software. I wish it was software as I'd happily
    re-install, hardware
    is another game due to the cost of "guessing" the parts to replace!

    Robertv!

    Rv!, Aug 11, 2004