    Firewall running since I plugged this thing in and Spysweeper also runs. I
    have about 80% left on the c drive, this machine is about two months old,
    3200 amd processor running XP.
    slownut, Sep 15, 2004

  2. slownut

    slownut Guest

    i also will mention that with Win Task Manger open, when this happens the
    CPU Usage percentage that is on the bottom of the applications tab shoots up
    to 100%

    "slownut" <> wrote in message
    > About every 30sec-1 min my tower will make a sound like a car downshifting
    > and my mouse pointer will lagg until the tower "upshifts" and sounds

    normal

    slownut, Sep 15, 2004

  3. slownut

    °Mike° Guest

    Is this your antivirus scanning during slack periods?
    Try disconnecting from the net and temporarily disable
    your antivirus, and any scheduled tasks you have set,
    to see if the same thing occurs. Also close all other
    applications and tasks, one by one, if you have to,
    until you can identify the culprit, or rule out software.

    On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 20:44:14 GMT, in
    <yQ12d.226937$>
    slownut scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Sep 15, 2004
  4. "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > Is this your antivirus scanning during slack periods?
    > Try disconnecting from the net and temporarily disable
    > your antivirus, and any scheduled tasks you have set,
    > to see if the same thing occurs. Also close all other
    > applications and tasks, one by one, if you have to,
    > until you can identify the culprit, or rule out software.
    >

    > On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 20:44:14 GMT, in
    > <yQ12d.226937$>
    > slownut scrawled:
    >
    >>i also will mention that with Win Task Manger open, when this happens the
    >>CPU Usage percentage that is on the bottom of the applications tab shoots
    >>up
    >>to 100%
    >>

    >>"slownut" <> wrote in message
    >>> About every 30sec-1 min my tower will make a sound like a car
    >>> downshifting
    >>> and my mouse pointer will lagg until the tower "upshifts" and sounds

    >>normal
    >>> again. Am i enfected with something? I have had Norton Anti Virus and
    >>> Firewall running since I plugged this thing in and Spysweeper also runs.
    >>> have about 80% left on the c drive, this machine is about two months
    >>> old,
    >>> 3200 amd processor running XP.
    >>>

    > --
    > Basic computer maintenance

    also, when you have this problem & the Task Manager open, click the
    "processes" tab, and click the "cpu" column heading. This will sort the
    running processes into order, so you can easily see which process is using
    up your resources the most.
    mentalguy2004, Sep 15, 2004
  5. slownut

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 21:53:09 GMT, in
    <9R22d.207$>
    mentalguy2004 scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Is this your antivirus scanning during slack periods?
    >> Try disconnecting from the net and temporarily disable
    >> your antivirus, and any scheduled tasks you have set,
    >> to see if the same thing occurs. Also close all other
    >> applications and tasks, one by one, if you have to,
    >> until you can identify the culprit, or rule out software.

    <snip>

    >also, when you have this problem & the Task Manager open, click the
    >"processes" tab, and click the "cpu" column heading. This will sort the
    >running processes into order, so you can easily see which process is using
    >up your resources the most.

    Please reply to the original poster; I do not have the problem.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Sep 15, 2004