    using it. It sometimes goes to blue screen when using but not real often.
    Any help appreciated.
    Thanks, Steve

    Stephen, Jun 24, 2005

  2. Stephen

    Nunz Guest

    As you do not provide enough information, may be your boot sector might be
    damaged just fix it with the xp cd

    Nunz, Jun 25, 2005

  3. Stephen

    birdman Guest

    I would assume, even if it is not, that your main hard drive is failing.
    Random system crashes, even when the computer is idling, is a prime symptom
    of hard drive failure.
    Do you recall any unusual clicking sounds?
    Failures due to faulty ROM chips and overheating usually, but not always,
    occur during specific uses of the computer, such as playing demanding 3d
    games or video editing.
    If you can, immediately back up any and all important data files onto CD or
    other media.
    There are programs you can download to test the drive: I would back it up
    before even trying any of these. The drive manufacturers have these posted
    on their web sites. However even these programs will not always identify a
    drive early in its death throes.

    birdman, Jun 25, 2005
  4. Stephen

    Mark Mandell Guest

    "Stephen" <> wrote in message
    > My computer(athlon xp1900 )keeps going to black screen with the message:
    > pxe-E53 no boot filename received. pxe-mof exiting Intel pxe rom. Disk
    > boot failure, insert system disk. Only way it reboots is if I shut it down
    > completely then turn it back on. even pressing reset won't reboot it.
    > Help!! what's going on. This happens many times throughout the day when
    > I'm not using it. It sometimes goes to blue screen when using but not real
    > often. Any help appreciated.
    > Thanks, Steve

    Knowing precisely what that blue screen message says would certainly help
    but I'd agree that the hard drive might be(to quote Dick Cheney about the
    insurgents in Iraq)in its "last throes." Besides using the hard drive
    manufacturer's testing program you could use the XP CD Recovery Console and
    then the command "chkdsk /r"(without the quotation marks, however).

    Mark Mandell, Jun 25, 2005