    I defragged both drives that are being used. What could be causing the problem?
    Thanks.
    , Nov 4, 2005

  2. On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 00:42:59 -0500, wrote:

    >My system seems to be sluggish the past few days. I notice it mostly with my
    >newsbrowser, and Paint Shop Pro. If I launch eight or ten binary files at once
    >from Forte Agent, they used to all snap open quickly in one session of Paint
    >Shop Pro. Now they open one by one, and take a few seconds each to open.
    >
    >System is a P-4 3.2Ghz processor, Windows XP Pro with 2Gb RAM. I put the second
    >Gb of RAM in last week and things were fine up until yesterday. The RAM is four
    >matched 512 modules from Kingston Technologies, and my ASUS mobo is rated for
    >the modules I bought.
    >
    >I defragged both drives that are being used. What could be causing the problem?
    >Thanks.

    Check the S.M.A.R.T status on your hdd's. my computer became sluggish
    and one day the hdd warned me saying reallocation sector checks were
    failing. Sure enough the drive died a few days later. Or you could be
    running hot. Check your fans.
    unluckylanding, Nov 4, 2005

  3. Guest

    On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 06:13:35 GMT, unluckylanding <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 00:42:59 -0500, wrote:
    >
    >>My system seems to be sluggish the past few days. I notice it mostly with my
    >>newsbrowser, and Paint Shop Pro. If I launch eight or ten binary files at once
    >>from Forte Agent, they used to all snap open quickly in one session of Paint
    >>Shop Pro. Now they open one by one, and take a few seconds each to open.
    >>
    >>System is a P-4 3.2Ghz processor, Windows XP Pro with 2Gb RAM. I put the second
    >>Gb of RAM in last week and things were fine up until yesterday. The RAM is four
    >>matched 512 modules from Kingston Technologies, and my ASUS mobo is rated for
    >>the modules I bought.
    >>
    >>I defragged both drives that are being used. What could be causing the problem?
    >>Thanks.

    >Check the S.M.A.R.T status on your hdd's. my computer became sluggish
    >and one day the hdd warned me saying reallocation sector checks were
    >failing. Sure enough the drive died a few days later. Or you could be
    >running hot. Check your fans.

    Thanks. What's the S.M.A.R.T. status of my hhd's? I have two WD SATA drives, one
    120Gb and a 200Gb. As for system temp, according to the sensor on my case, the
    internal temp is around 92F, CPU Temp is 100F. Doesn't seem too hot.
    , Nov 4, 2005
  4. On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 01:55:00 -0500, wrote:

    >On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 06:13:35 GMT, unluckylanding <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 00:42:59 -0500, wrote:
    >>
    >>>My system seems to be sluggish the past few days. I notice it mostly with my
    >>>newsbrowser, and Paint Shop Pro. If I launch eight or ten binary files at once
    >>>from Forte Agent, they used to all snap open quickly in one session of Paint
    >>>Shop Pro. Now they open one by one, and take a few seconds each to open.
    >>>
    >>>System is a P-4 3.2Ghz processor, Windows XP Pro with 2Gb RAM. I put the second
    >>>Gb of RAM in last week and things were fine up until yesterday. The RAM is four
    >>>matched 512 modules from Kingston Technologies, and my ASUS mobo is rated for
    >>>the modules I bought.
    >>>
    >>>I defragged both drives that are being used. What could be causing the problem?
    >>>Thanks.

    >>Check the S.M.A.R.T status on your hdd's. my computer became sluggish
    >>and one day the hdd warned me saying reallocation sector checks were
    >>failing. Sure enough the drive died a few days later. Or you could be
    >>running hot. Check your fans.

    >Thanks. What's the S.M.A.R.T. status of my hhd's? I have two WD SATA drives, one
    >120Gb and a 200Gb. As for system temp, according to the sensor on my case, the
    >internal temp is around 92F, CPU Temp is 100F. Doesn't seem too hot.

    cheap and easy way to find S.M.A.R.T readings is using Aida32.

    I found a working d/l link here:
    http://www.freedownloads.be/downloaddetail/353-AIDA32
    unluckylanding, Nov 4, 2005
  5. Sarah Guest

    "unluckylanding" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 01:55:00 -0500, wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 06:13:35 GMT, unluckylanding
    >><>
    >>wrote:

    >>>Check the S.M.A.R.T status on your hdd's. my computer became sluggish
    >>>and one day the hdd warned me saying reallocation sector checks were
    >>>failing. Sure enough the drive died a few days later. Or you could be
    >>>running hot. Check your fans.

    >>Thanks. What's the S.M.A.R.T. status of my hhd's? I have two WD SATA
    >>drives, one
    >>120Gb and a 200Gb. As for system temp, according to the sensor on my case,
    >>the
    >>internal temp is around 92F, CPU Temp is 100F. Doesn't seem too hot.

    > cheap and easy way to find S.M.A.R.T readings is using Aida32.
    >
    > I found a working d/l link here:
    > http://www.freedownloads.be/downloaddetail/353-AIDA32

    I think that we can reasonably assume that their reported file size isn't
    accurate.
    Sarah, Nov 4, 2005
  6. On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 23:28:17 +1030, "Sarah" <> wrote:

    >"unluckylanding" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 01:55:00 -0500, wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 06:13:35 GMT, unluckylanding
    >>><>

    >>>Thanks. What's the S.M.A.R.T. status of my hhd's? I have two WD SATA
    >>>drives, one
    >>>120Gb and a 200Gb. As for system temp, according to the sensor on my case,
    >>>the
    >>>internal temp is around 92F, CPU Temp is 100F. Doesn't seem too hot.

    >> cheap and easy way to find S.M.A.R.T readings is using Aida32.
    >>
    >> I found a working d/l link here:
    >> http://www.freedownloads.be/downloaddetail/353-AIDA32
    >>

    >I think that we can reasonably assume that their reported file size isn't
    >accurate.

    lol File Size: 3450.00 mb. I think they meant 3.45 MB. I didn't catch
    that.
    unluckylanding, Nov 5, 2005
  7. Guest

    Some ideas:
    - The increased memory is not matching the virtual memory (My computer,
    propierties, advanced, performance, settings, advanced, change). Make
    the paging file double of RAM and set it on the hard disk where the OS
    is not.
    - Run: Start, run, MSCONFIG. It may be that recently some bug is
    running on the background eating up resources. Check each item under
    Startup.
    , Nov 5, 2005
  8. Guest

    On 4 Nov 2005 17:19:11 -0800, wrote:

    >Some ideas:
    >- The increased memory is not matching the virtual memory (My computer,
    >propierties, advanced, performance, settings, advanced, change). Make
    >the paging file double of RAM and set it on the hard disk where the OS
    >is not.
    >- Run: Start, run, MSCONFIG. It may be that recently some bug is
    >running on the background eating up resources. Check each item under
    >Startup.

    Okay, I went through the steps in your first paragraph and found that the
    settings were for the C drive, which currently has 11.3Gb available space, and
    the initial size was 2046 and max size was 4092.

    So I changed to the F drive which currently has 79.4Gb available, and used the
    same settings, initial of 2046 and max of 4092.

    However, now I notice that both drives show the same settings. So how do I know
    which drive is being used for the paging file?

    Does this sound like the right thing to have done? Thanks.
    , Nov 5, 2005
  9. Pat Guest

    On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 09:01:31 -0500, wrote:

    >On 4 Nov 2005 17:19:11 -0800, wrote:
    >
    >>Some ideas:
    >>- The increased memory is not matching the virtual memory (My computer,
    >>propierties, advanced, performance, settings, advanced, change). Make
    >>the paging file double of RAM and set it on the hard disk where the OS
    >>is not.
    >>- Run: Start, run, MSCONFIG. It may be that recently some bug is
    >>running on the background eating up resources. Check each item under
    >>Startup.

    >Okay, I went through the steps in your first paragraph and found that the
    >settings were for the C drive, which currently has 11.3Gb available space, and
    >the initial size was 2046 and max size was 4092.
    >
    >So I changed to the F drive which currently has 79.4Gb available, and used the
    >same settings, initial of 2046 and max of 4092.
    >
    >However, now I notice that both drives show the same settings. So how do I know
    >which drive is being used for the paging file?
    >
    >Does this sound like the right thing to have done? Thanks.

    There is no way you need 2 to 4 GB of swapfile space (unless you are a
    rocket scientist, maybe). With 1 gig of memory, set it at 100 meg min
    and no max. In fact you might get by with less than this.

    The more ram you have the less swapfile you need. Someone said to make
    the swapfile double the amount of ram. This makes no sense. If you had,
    say, 32 meg of ram that'd mean a 64 meg swapfile for a total of 96 meg
    of virtual memory (ram plus swap space). With, say, 1 gig of ram then
    you'd have an 2 gig swapfile for 3 gig of virtual memory. You can see
    how out of balanced this is. With 32 meg of ram the system might need
    250 or more megabyte of page file. With 1 gig it might not need any.

    A simple test is to let Windows control the virtual memory. Open up the
    system monitor applet and add the "Memory Manager: Swapfile in use"
    item. Open up every thing you might ever have open at one time and
    monitor the swapfile usage. Note the usage and set the swapfile minimum
    just over this by, say, 20 meg. With 1 gig ram the swapfile may never be
    used. In that case, set it at 100 meg min and forget it.

    --
    Pat
    Pat, Nov 5, 2005
  10. Guest

    On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 08:19:04 -0800, Pat <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 09:01:31 -0500, wrote:
    >
    >>On 4 Nov 2005 17:19:11 -0800, wrote:
    >>
    >>>Some ideas:
    >>>- The increased memory is not matching the virtual memory (My computer,
    >>>propierties, advanced, performance, settings, advanced, change). Make
    >>>the paging file double of RAM and set it on the hard disk where the OS
    >>>is not.
    >>>- Run: Start, run, MSCONFIG. It may be that recently some bug is
    >>>running on the background eating up resources. Check each item under
    >>>Startup.

    >>Okay, I went through the steps in your first paragraph and found that the
    >>settings were for the C drive, which currently has 11.3Gb available space, and
    >>the initial size was 2046 and max size was 4092.
    >>
    >>So I changed to the F drive which currently has 79.4Gb available, and used the
    >>same settings, initial of 2046 and max of 4092.
    >>
    >>However, now I notice that both drives show the same settings. So how do I know
    >>which drive is being used for the paging file?
    >>
    >>Does this sound like the right thing to have done? Thanks.

    >There is no way you need 2 to 4 GB of swapfile space (unless you are a
    >rocket scientist, maybe). With 1 gig of memory, set it at 100 meg min
    >and no max. In fact you might get by with less than this.
    >
    >The more ram you have the less swapfile you need. Someone said to make
    >the swapfile double the amount of ram. This makes no sense. If you had,
    >say, 32 meg of ram that'd mean a 64 meg swapfile for a total of 96 meg
    >of virtual memory (ram plus swap space). With, say, 1 gig of ram then
    >you'd have an 2 gig swapfile for 3 gig of virtual memory. You can see
    >how out of balanced this is. With 32 meg of ram the system might need
    >250 or more megabyte of page file. With 1 gig it might not need any.
    >
    >A simple test is to let Windows control the virtual memory. Open up the
    >system monitor applet and add the "Memory Manager: Swapfile in use"
    >item. Open up every thing you might ever have open at one time and
    >monitor the swapfile usage. Note the usage and set the swapfile minimum
    >just over this by, say, 20 meg. With 1 gig ram the swapfile may never be
    >used. In that case, set it at 100 meg min and forget it.

    Thanks. Where do I find the system monitor applet?
    , Nov 5, 2005
  11. Pat Guest

    On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 17:56:24 -0500, wrote:

    >On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 08:19:04 -0800, Pat <> wrote:
    >

    >>There is no way you need 2 to 4 GB of swapfile space (unless you are a
    >>rocket scientist, maybe). With 1 gig of memory, set it at 100 meg min
    >>and no max. In fact you might get by with less than this.
    >>
    >>The more ram you have the less swapfile you need. Someone said to make
    >>the swapfile double the amount of ram. This makes no sense. If you had,
    >>say, 32 meg of ram that'd mean a 64 meg swapfile for a total of 96 meg
    >>of virtual memory (ram plus swap space). With, say, 1 gig of ram then
    >>you'd have an 2 gig swapfile for 3 gig of virtual memory. You can see
    >>how out of balanced this is. With 32 meg of ram the system might need
    >>250 or more megabyte of page file. With 1 gig it might not need any.
    >>
    >>A simple test is to let Windows control the virtual memory. Open up the
    >>system monitor applet and add the "Memory Manager: Swapfile in use"
    >>item. Open up every thing you might ever have open at one time and
    >>monitor the swapfile usage. Note the usage and set the swapfile minimum
    >>just over this by, say, 20 meg. With 1 gig ram the swapfile may never be
    >>used. In that case, set it at 100 meg min and forget it.

    >Thanks. Where do I find the system monitor applet?

    It should be in the system tools menu of the start menu. At least it is
    on my system.

    --
    Pat
    Pat, Nov 6, 2005
  12. Guest

    On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 20:17:00 -0800, Pat <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 17:56:24 -0500, wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 08:19:04 -0800, Pat <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>There is no way you need 2 to 4 GB of swapfile space (unless you are a
    >>>rocket scientist, maybe). With 1 gig of memory, set it at 100 meg min
    >>>and no max. In fact you might get by with less than this.
    >>>
    >>>The more ram you have the less swapfile you need. Someone said to make
    >>>the swapfile double the amount of ram. This makes no sense. If you had,
    >>>say, 32 meg of ram that'd mean a 64 meg swapfile for a total of 96 meg
    >>>of virtual memory (ram plus swap space). With, say, 1 gig of ram then
    >>>you'd have an 2 gig swapfile for 3 gig of virtual memory. You can see
    >>>how out of balanced this is. With 32 meg of ram the system might need
    >>>250 or more megabyte of page file. With 1 gig it might not need any.
    >>>
    >>>A simple test is to let Windows control the virtual memory. Open up the
    >>>system monitor applet and add the "Memory Manager: Swapfile in use"
    >>>item. Open up every thing you might ever have open at one time and
    >>>monitor the swapfile usage. Note the usage and set the swapfile minimum
    >>>just over this by, say, 20 meg. With 1 gig ram the swapfile may never be
    >>>used. In that case, set it at 100 meg min and forget it.

    >>Thanks. Where do I find the system monitor applet?

    >It should be in the system tools menu of the start menu. At least it is
    >on my system.

    I have a System Information choice in the System Tools, but see no system
    monitor. Windows XP Pro here.
    , Nov 6, 2005
  13. Pat Guest

    On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 10:04:30 -0500, wrote:

    >On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 20:17:00 -0800, Pat <> wrote:

    >>>Thanks. Where do I find the system monitor applet?

    >>It should be in the system tools menu of the start menu. At least it is
    >>on my system.

    >I have a System Information choice in the System Tools, but see no system
    >monitor. Windows XP Pro here.

    I don't know diddly about XP but try Start>Run and type in "sysmon"
    without quotes and hit OK. If it on your system with that name it should
    run. It's possible MS dropped it in XP. They do some strange things :).

    --
    Pat
    Pat, Nov 7, 2005