System Restore

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Global_Killa, Jun 2, 2004.

  1. Global_Killa

    Global_Killa Guest

    Hey all,
    Just wondering what system restore does? I've never used it and I have
    it running. Is it worth having it active?

    When you restore your computer, does this affect all changes that have been
    made to the system after this point?
    Will files such as pictures, movies, applications, etc, that have been added
    to the system be affected by restoring?

    Also download programs, will they be affected?
    Applications that have been installed, will they be removed or corrupted
    because files will be removed by restoring?

    Thanks,

    --
    Global_Killa

    http://punkthenation.tk

    Global_Killa, Jun 2, 2004

  2. Global_Killa

    Thor Guest

    "Global_Killa" <> wrote in message
    > Hey all,
    > Just wondering what system restore does? I've never used it and I have
    > it running. Is it worth having it active?

    It restores the registry, and many critical system files to a previous
    state. It's worth having it active on WindowsXP, because it is pretty
    reliable. The system restore in WinME is trouble-prone, and a resource hog
    IMHO, and I always ran WinME with it disabled.

    > When you restore your computer, does this affect all changes that have

    been
    > made to the system after this point?
    > Will files such as pictures, movies, applications, etc, that have been

    added
    > to the system be affected by restoring?

    User files should remain unaffected.

    > Also download programs, will they be affected?

    no they shouldn't be.

    > Applications that have been installed, will they be removed or corrupted
    > because files will be removed by restoring?

    files aren't removed by system restore. But, if a program was installed
    after a checkpoint date that the system is restored to, it may have to be
    re-installed to make it functional. for example, if you installed a calendar
    program on May 25th, and you had a problem on the 30th, and you used system
    restore to roll the system back to the last checkpoint which was made on May
    24th, you may have to reinstall that calendar program to make it functional.
    It's files will be on the drive, but the registry entries might be gone,
    because the registry is restored to a previous date along with many system
    files. The registry as it now stands would be missing the entries, because
    it is in a state prior to when the program was installed. Lastly, as an FYI,
    any files in the "my documents" folder, no matter what type they are, are
    completely untouched by system restore. It is considered a "safe" folder. By
    and large, however, you needn't worry. System restore isn't supposed to roll
    back or delete user files.

    Thor, Jun 2, 2004

  3. Global_Killa

    Global_Killa Guest

    Thanks for the info.

    --
    Global_Killa

    http://punkthenation.tk

    Global_Killa, Jun 2, 2004
  4. Global_Killa

    ProfGene Guest

    System restor should be used when the computer stops booting or has major
    insurmountable problems. it does change the settings and sometimes programs
    no longer work unless they are resintalled or setup again. You should never
    do the hard drive preparation restore unless the other doesn't work because
    it wipes out everything on the hard drive.

    ProfGene, Jun 3, 2004