    restore could not restore to the date chosen please try another date...I
    have tried about 15 different dates and keep getting the same result....Any
    ideas??? Thanks...Jim

    Jimi, May 16, 2006

  2. Jimi

    synex Guest

    "Jimi" <> said in
    news::

    > hello... I am running windows XP.
    > Whenever my computer starts to bug out or acts strangely, I go to
    > my
    > system restore and restore the computer to an earleir time. My outlook
    > express is freezing up and at times I can't open my mail. I know that
    > if I could restore the computer to an ealier time this problem would
    > go away. The problem I am having is that the system restore will not
    > work no matter what date I choose (Have tried several). I get a
    > message stating that system restore could not restore to the date
    > chosen please try another date...I have tried about 15 different dates
    > and keep getting the same result....Any ideas??? Thanks...Jim

    That System Restore sucks and doesn't work?

    synex, May 16, 2006

  3. Jimi

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > hello... I am running windows XP.
    > Whenever my computer starts to bug out or acts strangely, I go to my
    > system restore and restore the computer to an earleir time. My outlook
    > express is freezing up and at times I can't open my mail. I know that if I
    > could restore the computer to an ealier time this problem would go away. The
    > problem I am having is that the system restore will not work no matter what
    > date I choose (Have tried several). I get a message stating that system
    > restore could not restore to the date chosen please try another date...I
    > have tried about 15 different dates and keep getting the same result....Any
    > ideas??? Thanks...Jim

    You're not going to like this, but it's time to rebuild your system and
    then secure it so that you don't get into this problem again.

    So, if you have a CD burner, burn your documents and important papers to
    CD-R.

    Now, make sure you have your Windows XP CD/Restore Media, make sure you
    have SP2 downloaded and burned to a CD (if your XP media doesn't already
    have it), and then download a quality antivirus scanner that works in
    real time.

    If you're not on dial-up, get at least a cheap NAT Router, sometimes
    they are mistakenly called a firewall, and make sure that it's working
    before you start - this will keep you protected while you reinstall
    Windows and get updates.

    Now, if you've never installed Windows you might want to do a little
    google research first, but, if you can get your computer to boot from
    the CD without going into windows, then you should be able to delete
    everything and reinstall from scratch. This is a long process, but, you
    might want to do this so that you get a known-working system to start
    over with - all your files will be deleted if you do this, so make sure
    this is the path you want to take before you start.

    There is also a method called a "Repair/Reinstall" that can work with
    some versions of Windows XP based on if your CD is Full OEM or Retail or
    other, just not one of those Vendor Restore CD's that gives no options.
    The repair reinstall method won't erase all your files, but it doesn't
    fix all the problems either.

    So, after you get the computer working with the new Windows XP installed
    on it, make sure that you DO NOT BROWSE THE WEB or FETCH EMAIL before
    installing the antivirus software and not before installing all the
    Windows updates.

    Now, see if you can get a cheap external USB drive, something about the
    same (or larger) than your computer hard-drive, make a NT Backup to the
    external drive - this will let you restore to this point when you have
    this problem again (most people use a tape drive, but USB External
    Drives are also workable, and cheaper).

    Windows XP restore points are not something I find that works as a
    backup method in most cases.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos, May 16, 2006
  4. Jimi

    Vanguard Guest

    "Jimi" <> wrote in message
    > hello... I am running windows XP.
    > Whenever my computer starts to bug out or acts strangely, I go to
    > my system restore and restore the computer to an earleir time. My
    > outlook express is freezing up and at times I can't open my mail. I
    > know that if I could restore the computer to an ealier time this
    > problem would go away. The problem I am having is that the system
    > restore will not work no matter what date I choose (Have tried
    > several). I get a message stating that system restore could not
    > restore to the date chosen please try another date...I have tried
    > about 15 different dates and keep getting the same result....Any
    > ideas??? Thanks...Jim

    System Restore is, well, a *SYSTEM* restore (and not a full restore at
    that). It is not a data restore, or configuration restore, or
    application restore. It restore the *system* files, the registry, and a
    few of the MS Office stuff but it won't do squat for Outlook Express
    (except for the registry stuff). System Restore is *NOT* a replacement
    for doing backups (images if you want to restore to snapshots) or
    logical backups (to only give you file backups). Either you can use
    disk/partition imaging software, like Ghost or TrueImage, or you can use
    incremental imaging software, like RestoreIT (not familiar with GoBack),
    to return your hard disk to the same state it was in before.

    Have you tried restoring the system cached files by running System File
    Checker (run "sfc /?" for options). That will restore the system files
    from the DLLCACHE folder or, if not there, from your install CD. I
    doubt it will specifically fix Outlook Express. You could also try
    reinstalling IE (which includes OE).

    How big are your .dbx files (i.e., the message store files) for OE?
    WHEN does OE freeze? Maybe it is busy compacting your message store
    files (it does that on exit). It will also sometimes do that when you
    switch to or select a different group (it's doing something with its
    database files but which isn't the compacting process).

    Post replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.

    Vanguard, May 16, 2006
  5. On Mon, 15 May 2006 19:56:54 -0600, "Jimi" <>
    wrote:

    > hello... I am running windows XP.
    > Whenever my computer starts to bug out or acts strangely, I go to my
    >system restore and restore the computer to an earleir time. My outlook
    >express is freezing up and at times I can't open my mail. I know that if I
    >could restore the computer to an ealier time this problem would go away. The
    >problem I am having is that the system restore will not work no matter what
    >date I choose (Have tried several). I get a message stating that system
    >restore could not restore to the date chosen please try another date...I
    >have tried about 15 different dates and keep getting the same result....Any
    >ideas??? Thanks...Jim

    Firstly System Restore (SR) is flaky in that it is totally unreliable
    and will fail without warning. To provide a 'backup' for the Registry
    use ERUNT.

    WRT your problem, to 'repair' SR you need first to disable it, then
    reboot. You will 'lose' all previous Restore Points but they are
    'lost' already. Now re-enable SR and select only the bootable
    partition. Enabling SR on partitions other than the bootable
    partition is useless and may give rise to problems. SR should now be
    restored to a functioning condition until next time it crashes.

    Edward W. Thompson, May 16, 2006
  6. Jimi

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Jimi" <> wrote:

    > hello... I am running windows XP.
    > Whenever my computer starts to bug out or acts strangely, I go to my
    >system restore and restore the computer to an earleir time. My outlook
    >express is freezing up and at times I can't open my mail. I know that if I
    >could restore the computer to an ealier time this problem would go away. The
    >problem I am having is that the system restore will not work no matter what
    >date I choose (Have tried several). I get a message stating that system
    >restore could not restore to the date chosen please try another date...I
    >have tried about 15 different dates and keep getting the same result....Any
    >ideas??? Thanks...Jim

    See MVP Bert Kinney's System Restore pages:
    http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html

    If none of the current restore points are available then very often
    the only fix is to disable System Restore, reboot the computer, and
    then turn System Restore back on again. You will loose all of your
    existing restore points but new ones created from now on should be
    usable.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --