    This has been identified in a friend's machine - running ME, poor sod.

    Ta.

    Wyn

    Wyn, May 20, 2004

  2. Wyn

    Rider Guest

    "Wyn" <> wrote in message
    news:FsTqc.3113$...
    > For the life of me I can't remember how to remove a copy of a virus in
    > system restore.
    >
    > This has been identified in a friend's machine - running ME, poor sod.
    >
    > Ta.
    >
    > Wyn

    You need to turn system restore off, then tun the virus scan. Then turn
    restore back on after its clean.

    Rider

    Rider, May 20, 2004

  3. Wyn

    Wyn Guest

    Rider wrote:
    > "Wyn" <> wrote in message
    >> For the life of me I can't remember how to remove a copy of a virus
    >> in system restore.
    >>
    >> This has been identified in a friend's machine - running ME, poor
    >> sod.
    >>
    >> Ta.
    >>
    >> Wyn
    >>

    > You need to turn system restore off, then tun the virus scan. Then
    > turn restore back on after its clean.
    >
    > Rider

    Thanks. I thought it might have to be started in safe mode or some such.

    Wyn

    Wyn, May 20, 2004
  4. Wyn

    Dogg Guest

    On Thu, 20 May 2004 12:54:12 +1200, "Wyn" <> wrote:

    >For the life of me I can't remember how to remove a copy of a virus in
    >system restore.
    >
    >This has been identified in a friend's machine - running ME, poor sod.
    >
    >Ta.
    >
    >Wyn

    I suggest laughing and pointing.

    Dogg, May 20, 2004
  5. Wyn

    PseUDO Guest

    Wyn wrote:

    > For the life of me I can't remember how to remove a copy of a virus in
    > system restore.
    >
    > This has been identified in a friend's machine - running ME, poor sod.
    >
    > Ta.
    >
    > Wyn

    Right click on the C: drive in either My Computer or Windows Explorer,
    then choose properties , then choose Disk Cleanup then "More Options"
    and in there choose to remove all but the latest restore point, that
    should fix the problem.

    PseUDO

    PseUDO, May 20, 2004
  6. Wyn

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Rider wrote:
    > "Wyn" <> wrote in message
    >> For the life of me I can't remember how to remove a copy of a virus
    >> in system restore.
    >>
    >> This has been identified in a friend's machine - running ME, poor
    >> sod.
    >>
    >> Ta.
    >>
    >> Wyn
    >>

    > You need to turn system restore off, then tun the virus scan. Then
    > turn restore back on after its clean.

    Doesn't hurt to do a defrag before you re-enble SR.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, May 20, 2004
  7. Wyn

    Wyn Guest

    Dogg wrote:
    > On Thu, 20 May 2004 12:54:12 +1200, "Wyn" <> wrote:
    >
    >> For the life of me I can't remember how to remove a copy of a virus
    >> in system restore.
    >>
    >> This has been identified in a friend's machine - running ME, poor
    >> sod.
    >>
    >> Ta.
    >>
    >> Wyn
    >>

    > I suggest laughing and pointing.

    Doesn't work, I've tried it. I've threatened to slit his throat if he
    opens another attachment. :)

    Wyn, May 20, 2004
  8. Wyn

    Wyn Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Rider wrote:
    >> "Wyn" <> wrote in message
    >>> For the life of me I can't remember how to remove a copy of a virus
    >>> in system restore.
    >>>
    >>> This has been identified in a friend's machine - running ME, poor
    >>> sod.
    >>>
    >>> Ta.
    >>>
    >>> Wyn
    >>>

    >> You need to turn system restore off, then tun the virus scan. Then
    >> turn restore back on after its clean.

    > Doesn't hurt to do a defrag before you re-enble SR.

    I had spent enough time with him. He had been away for a week and as
    soon as he got home he rushed in to d/load all his emails. He couldn't
    work out why they took three *hours* to d/load.

    Could it be because he had four copies of Netsky and one of Sobig?

    Jeez I was lucky I didn't get anything. He has my address in his address
    book.

    But defrag? :) Get rid of all those .bak, .tmp, files etc first? No
    thanks.

    This is the sort of guy who expects the computer to know what he wants
    and to do his thinking for him.

    Wyn, May 20, 2004
  9. Wyn

    Wyn Guest

    PseUDO wrote:
    > Wyn wrote:
    >
    >> For the life of me I can't remember how to remove a copy of a virus
    >> in system restore.
    >>
    >> This has been identified in a friend's machine - running ME, poor
    >> sod.
    >>
    >> Ta.
    >>
    >> Wyn
    >>

    > Right click on the C: drive in either My Computer or Windows Explorer,
    > then choose properties , then choose Disk Cleanup then "More Options"
    > and in there choose to remove all but the latest restore point, that
    > should fix the problem.

    Did it through Control Panel/System etc. The file was in _Restore/Temp
    and all the temp files disappeared when the computer was reset.

    Wyn

    Wyn, May 20, 2004