System Restore Settings (Drive Usage)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Morgi3, Aug 20, 2007.

  1. Morgi3

    Morgi3 Guest

    Hi,

    To reduce the max amount of space system restore uses I reset the reg
    key at:

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore
    \DiskPercent=3

    To 3 as you can see, so my slider for System Restore shows use 3% max
    of the drive.

    My drive is 74.5 gb. When I check the size properties of "c:\System
    Volume Information" is shows as:

    Size: 6.29gb
    Size on Disk: 3.36gb

    Can anyone explain this? Does the "size" show larger as this is
    uncompressed, but it's really only taking 3.36gb up? Also, 3% of
    74.5gb should be more like 2.2gb - can anyone help explain this? Did I
    adjust the wrong registry key?

    Thanks.
    Morgi3, Aug 20, 2007

  2. Morgi3

    Guest

    Morgi3 <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >To reduce the max amount of space system restore uses I reset the reg
    >key at:
    >
    >HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore
    >\DiskPercent=3
    >
    >To 3 as you can see, so my slider for System Restore shows use 3% max
    >of the drive.
    >
    >My drive is 74.5 gb. When I check the size properties of "c:\System
    >Volume Information" is shows as:
    >
    >Size: 6.29gb
    >Size on Disk: 3.36gb
    >
    >Can anyone explain this? Does the "size" show larger as this is
    >uncompressed, but it's really only taking 3.36gb up? Also, 3% of
    >74.5gb should be more like 2.2gb - can anyone help explain this? Did I
    >adjust the wrong registry key?

    Dunno :)

    Disable system restore to delete all restore directories, (reboot)
    then re enable, that might take the changes.

    You might look at ERUNT
    if space is a problem (or you want a better restore).

    --

    Blue-Footed Boobies
    http://images.livescience.com/images/ig33_darwin_boobies_02.jpg

  3. Morgi3

    WhzzKdd Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Morgi3 <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>To reduce the max amount of space system restore uses I reset the reg
    >>key at:
    >>
    >>HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore
    >>\DiskPercent=3
    >>
    >>To 3 as you can see, so my slider for System Restore shows use 3% max
    >>of the drive.
    >>
    >>My drive is 74.5 gb. When I check the size properties of "c:\System
    >>Volume Information" is shows as:
    >>
    >>Size: 6.29gb
    >>Size on Disk: 3.36gb
    >>
    >>Can anyone explain this? Does the "size" show larger as this is
    >>uncompressed, but it's really only taking 3.36gb up? Also, 3% of
    >>74.5gb should be more like 2.2gb - can anyone help explain this? Did I
    >>adjust the wrong registry key?

    > Dunno :)
    >
    > Disable system restore to delete all restore directories, (reboot)
    > then re enable, that might take the changes.
    >
    > You might look at ERUNT
    > http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
    > if space is a problem (or you want a better restore).
    >
    > Blue-Footed Boobies
    > http://images.livescience.com/images/ig33_darwin_boobies_02.jpg

    Your sig really makes me wonder why the feet are blue - what possible
    evolutionary scenario produced that? <g>
    WhzzKdd, Aug 20, 2007
  4. Morgi3

    meerkat Guest

    > <> wrote in message
    >> Morgi3 <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>To reduce the max amount of space system restore uses I reset the reg
    >>>key at:
    >>>
    >>>HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore
    >>>\DiskPercent=3
    >>>
    >>>To 3 as you can see, so my slider for System Restore shows use 3% max
    >>>of the drive.
    >>>
    >>>My drive is 74.5 gb. When I check the size properties of "c:\System
    >>>Volume Information" is shows as:
    >>>
    >>>Size: 6.29gb
    >>>Size on Disk: 3.36gb
    >>>
    >>>Can anyone explain this? Does the "size" show larger as this is
    >>>uncompressed, but it's really only taking 3.36gb up? Also, 3% of
    >>>74.5gb should be more like 2.2gb - can anyone help explain this? Did I
    >>>adjust the wrong registry key?

    >> Dunno :)
    >>
    >> Disable system restore to delete all restore directories, (reboot)
    >> then re enable, that might take the changes.
    >>
    >> You might look at ERUNT
    >> http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
    >> if space is a problem (or you want a better restore).
    >>
    >> Blue-Footed Boobies
    >> http://images.livescience.com/images/ig33_darwin_boobies_02.jpg

    > Your sig really makes me wonder why the feet are blue - what possible
    > evolutionary scenario produced that? <g>

    They adopted it from Elvis with his `blue suede shoes`.
    Good for picking up the `chicks` %> ).
    meerkat, Aug 20, 2007
  5. Morgi3

    Morgi3 Guest

    Thanks for the quick replies guys.

    I understand your point about cleaning up the SR points, but shouldn't
    Windows be intelligent enough to do this for me?>

    E.g. I reset 12% of disk space use to 3% and it should then and there
    delete the oldest RP's in that 9% I've reduced it by, or as new ones
    are created delete an old one??

    Do you know more about the exact working, is this second suggestion a
    possibility?
    Morgi3, Aug 20, 2007
  6. Morgi3

    meerkat Guest

    "Morgi3" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > To reduce the max amount of space system restore uses I reset the reg
    > key at:
    >
    > HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore
    > \DiskPercent=3
    >
    > To 3 as you can see, so my slider for System Restore shows use 3% max
    > of the drive.
    >
    > My drive is 74.5 gb. When I check the size properties of "c:\System
    > Volume Information" is shows as:
    >
    > Size: 6.29gb
    > Size on Disk: 3.36gb
    >
    > Can anyone explain this? Does the "size" show larger as this is
    > uncompressed, but it's really only taking 3.36gb up? Also, 3% of
    > 74.5gb should be more like 2.2gb - can anyone help explain this? Did I
    > adjust the wrong registry key?

    To reduce SR percent, you should...
    Rt/click My Computer/Properties/System Restore/Settings.
    Not play with the Registry.
    meerkat, Aug 20, 2007
  7. Morgi3

    Guest

    Morgi3 <> wrote:

    >Thanks for the quick replies guys.
    >
    >I understand your point about cleaning up the SR points, but shouldn't
    >Windows be intelligent enough to do this for me?>

    No.

    >E.g. I reset 12% of disk space use to 3% and it should then and there
    >delete the oldest RP's in that 9% I've reduced it by, or as new ones
    >are created delete an old one??
    >
    >Do you know more about the exact working, is this second suggestion a
    >possibility?

    The best place to ask (about system restore) is
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
    There is an MPV who frequents that group ,that's spaciality is System
    Restore.
    --

    Egypt discovers what may be oldest human footprint
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070820/sc_nm/egypt_antiquities_dc_1
  8. Morgi3

    Guest

    , Aug 20, 2007
  9. Morgi3

    Guest

    , Aug 20, 2007
  10. Morgi3

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "meerkat" <> wrote in message

    > "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
    >> <> wrote in message

    >>> Dunno :)
    >>>
    >>> Disable system restore to delete all restore directories, (reboot)
    >>> then re enable, that might take the changes.
    >>>
    >>> You might look at ERUNT
    >>> http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
    >>> if space is a problem (or you want a better restore).
    >>>
    >>> Blue-Footed Boobies
    >>> http://images.livescience.com/images/ig33_darwin_boobies_02.jpg

    >> Your sig really makes me wonder why the feet are blue - what possible
    >> evolutionary scenario produced that? <g>
    >>

    > They adopted it from Elvis with his `blue suede shoes`.
    > Good for picking up the `chicks` %> ).

    LOL! Maybe I oughta look for a pair for myself <g>

    WhzzKdd, Aug 21, 2007