    ?

    Would be grateful for some advice.
    Robert

    Robert, Sep 24, 2003

  2. Robert

    trotsky Guest

    "Robert" <> wrote in message
    news:ngecb.9507$...
    > Hi, I have a a problem with Windows XP Home.
    > I need to restore my system to a date.
    > When I run restore,Windows shuts down and starts to restore the files,it
    > freezes at about 80% I have to turn the computer off. Why does restore

    fail
    > ?
    >
    > Would be grateful for some advice.
    > Robert

    If you can get windows running, run scandisk, try to UNDO the last updates
    of any software or any other last performed stupidity only you know of, try
    restore again, if it fails again, forget about that restorefile.
    Next time you think you have windows running properly, create a backup of a
    _restore.

    Why do you need to restore anyway?

    trotsky, Sep 24, 2003

  3. Robert

    Robert Guest

    I deleted a folder by accident and when I boot up I get an error ( cant find
    etc)
    Out of interest where is scandisk in Win XP ?
    Thanks
    Robert

    Robert, Sep 24, 2003
  4. Robert

    Patrick Guest

    Robert wrote:
    > I deleted a folder by accident and when I boot up I get an error (
    > cant find etc)
    > Out of interest where is scandisk in Win XP ?
    > Thanks
    > Robert

    It isn't!,
    XP dosn't use (or have) 'SCANDISK', instead it uses 'CHKDSK'
    To use CHKDSK; goto properties of drive (right-click drive, select
    Properties), select 'Tools' tab
    Press 'Check Now' button, you'll have a few options (full-check etc.,).
    If you are wanting to check the SystemDrive then you will be told that it
    can't be run right-away, but do you want to run it on next reboot, say Yes,
    (reboot if you want to do it now).

    Or CHKDSK can be run from a Command-Prompt, type at Command-Prompt;
    CHKDSK /? [Enter]

    Patrick, Sep 24, 2003