    I have a backup of the drivers file from before the problem, but am at a
    loss as to how to get system restore to function (really monitor) the drive.
    Any ideas?
    John Barnes, Jun 11, 2006

  2. Have you tried removing the Device through Device Manager, restart the
    system and see if it redetects the drive? Click Start > Control Panel >
    System > Hardware (tab) > Device Manager > expand DVD/CD-ROM Drives > right
    click the optical drive thats giving you problems, click uninstall and
    restart the system.
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 11, 2006

  3. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    Yes. Tried that and tried uninstalling and using the add hardware. Get 'a
    problem occurred during hardware .....' and still have the restore problem
    which is my main concern. Thanks.

    John Barnes, Jun 11, 2006
  4. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    No one with any ideas on how to get System Restore (which shows 'monitoring'
    in System Properties) to actually create a restore file that can be used to
    restore to a prior time (shows that the drive being monitored will NOT be
    restored [due to not being monitored or connected])?
    The drive is the system (and boot) drive, so it cannot be safely removed,
    and if unplugged should start monitoring on boot-up again. It hasn't been
    unplugged since installed, though.

    John Barnes, Jun 14, 2006