System Restore Crash

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by jel183\(UK\), Nov 24, 2004.

  1. jel183\(UK\)

    jel183\(UK\) Guest

    Friend of mine was having modem problems on her 'Tiny' XP Home machine... I
    attributed some of her problems to spyware etc. So I attempted to install
    Adaware and Spybot, both of which failed. My next line of attack was to try
    system restore back to a time when the modem was working ok. During the SR
    process the machine rebooted as far as the XP Home screen and then shut
    itself down. The machine now keeps restarting at this point. I have tried it
    in Safe Mode and LKGC both of which fail - in fact I have tried every
    option on the advanced options screen.

    I have considered a repair install but it is an OEM installation and the
    recovery disk only gives a factory reset option, which the tech guy said
    would wipe all the files. I cannot do this as she as some files on the HD
    whch have not been backed up (now she tells me!!!). My only option at the
    moment is to have the files recovered professionaly then to a factory reset.

    Could I try a repair install using an ordinary XP Home disk?

    OR is there anything else I could do...?

    --
    HTH - Any Advice Appreciated - Please Reply To Newsgroup Only

    jel183(UK)
    jel183\(UK\), Nov 24, 2004

  2. jel183\(UK\)

    10_4 Guest

    "jel183(UK)" <> wrote in message
    > Friend of mine was having modem problems on her 'Tiny' XP Home machine...

    > attributed some of her problems to spyware etc. So I attempted to install
    > Adaware and Spybot, both of which failed. My next line of attack was to

    try
    > system restore back to a time when the modem was working ok. During the SR
    > process the machine rebooted as far as the XP Home screen and then shut
    > itself down. The machine now keeps restarting at this point. I have tried

    it
    > in Safe Mode and LKGC both of which fail - in fact I have tried every
    > option on the advanced options screen.
    >
    > I have considered a repair install but it is an OEM installation and the
    > recovery disk only gives a factory reset option, which the tech guy said
    > would wipe all the files. I cannot do this as she as some files on the HD
    > whch have not been backed up (now she tells me!!!). My only option at the
    > moment is to have the files recovered professionaly then to a factory

    reset.

    > Could I try a repair install using an ordinary XP Home disk?
    >
    > OR is there anything else I could do...?
    >

    > --
    > HTH - Any Advice Appreciated - Please Reply To Newsgroup Only
    >
    > jel183(UK)

    First off, never try any OS type operation without doing a backup, even if
    it is someone else's machine.

    You have several options:

    Take the hard drive out of this machine and install it as a slave in another
    machine and backup the files to another media. Put it back into the
    original machine as the master (or cable select according to each machine's
    requirements) and run the restore. DO NOT FDISK the HDD! If it is an HP or
    the likes you will destroy the hidden partition and the Restore CDs will not
    work anymore.

    Put in an OS CD of the same version and SP and start the machine from the
    CD. Follow the screens to do an install (not a repair). Then when it gets
    to the final choice of repairing or installing the OS choose repair and
    follow the instructions. This may or may not fix your problem but should
    get into Windows so you can back up the said files.

    Either can be tricky and according to the state of the files on this HDD
    could fail totally.

    Good luck!
    10_4, Nov 24, 2004

  3. jel183\(UK\)

    gronod Guest

    there may be another way, if you can get hold of a copy of another browser,
    such as netscape, on a cd.(some may have been given away on various
    magazines)
    boot up in safe mode with cd support and command prompt.
    change directory to cd drive, then install netscape (or other browser)
    you may then be able to access your drive with data you need on, and also
    install adawre/spybot/antivirus software such as stinger from another cd and
    check the drive that way.

    I have used this process before to restore my grandaughters computer, when
    she said it would not boot up.
    and found over 1,000 files which needed removing, it worked fine then.
    Hope this is of some use
    grodon

    gronod, Nov 24, 2004
  4. jel183\(UK\)

    jel183\(UK\) Guest

    I found this and plan to give this a go before anything else !!

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304449

    jel183\(UK\), Nov 25, 2004
  5. jel183\(UK\)

    10_4 Guest

    "jel183(UK)" <> wrote in message
    > I found this and plan to give this a go before anything else !!
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304449
    >
    > --
    > HTH - Any Advice Appreciated - Please Reply To Newsgroup Only
    >
    > jel183(UK)
    >

    > "gronod" <> wrote in message
    > > there may be another way, if you can get hold of a copy of another
    > > browser,
    > > such as netscape, on a cd.(some may have been given away on various
    > > magazines)
    > > boot up in safe mode with cd support and command prompt.
    > > change directory to cd drive, then install netscape (or other browser)
    > > you may then be able to access your drive with data you need on, and

    also
    > > install adawre/spybot/antivirus software such as stinger from another cd
    > > and
    > > check the drive that way.
    > >
    > > I have used this process before to restore my grandaughters computer,

    when
    > > she said it would not boot up.
    > > and found over 1,000 files which needed removing, it worked fine then.
    > > Hope this is of some use
    > > grodon
    > >
    > > "jel183(UK)" <> wrote in message
    > >> Friend of mine was having modem problems on her 'Tiny' XP Home

    machine...
    > >> attributed some of her problems to spyware etc. So I attempted to

    install
    > >> Adaware and Spybot, both of which failed. My next line of attack was to

    > > try
    > >> system restore back to a time when the modem was working ok. During the
    > >> SR
    > >> process the machine rebooted as far as the XP Home screen and then shut
    > >> itself down. The machine now keeps restarting at this point. I have

    tried
    > > it
    > >> in Safe Mode and LKGC both of which fail - in fact I have tried every
    > >> option on the advanced options screen.
    > >>
    > >> I have considered a repair install but it is an OEM installation and

    the
    > >> recovery disk only gives a factory reset option, which the tech guy

    said
    > >> would wipe all the files. I cannot do this as she as some files on the

    HD
    > >> whch have not been backed up (now she tells me!!!). My only option at

    the
    > >> moment is to have the files recovered professionaly then to a factory

    > > reset.
    > >>
    > >> Could I try a repair install using an ordinary XP Home disk?
    > >>
    > >> OR is there anything else I could do...?
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> HTH - Any Advice Appreciated - Please Reply To Newsgroup Only
    > >>
    > >> jel183(UK)

    Very good information. Please let us know how it goes!

    Thanks!
    10_4, Nov 26, 2004