System Restore and other system apps do not work

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Dan, Jun 12, 2008.

  1. Dan

    Dan Guest

    I am using Vista Ultimate x64 Build 6001 SP1.
    Intel® Core(TM)2 CPU 6700 @ 2.66GHz 2.66 GHz Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
    The behavior described below started suddenly, possibly after the
    installation of an update.
    Some of the symptoms are:

    When I click on System Restore I get (as expected) the dialog box “Windows
    needs your permission to continueâ€
    I click Continue. Apparently nothing happens.
    I repeat the above and I get the message “The System Restore wizard is
    already running.†However, it is not visible.

    Task Manager also remains invisible.

    When I click on “Turn Windows features on and off†the “Windows Featuresâ€
    box is displayed with “Please wait...†but nothing happens.

    When trying to uninstall an update, Windows Installer displays "Preparing to
    install..." and remains so forever. Click Cancel, after 10 min or so “Install
    server is not respondingâ€.

    At times Visual Studio and the Office 2007 programs go in No responding
    mode and I must reboot.

    When I shut down the computer "Logging off " is displayed until I use the
    hardware shut down button.

    Chkdsk found nothing wrong.

    Sfc /scannow doesn’t start; the cursor is blinking on the next line for ever.

    The same in Safe Mode.

    When I try to start from the DVD the Vista background is displayed with the
    mouse cursor but then nothing.

    Is there a way out?

    Thanks,
    Dan

    Dan, Jun 12, 2008

  2. Dan

    Carlos Guest

    Dan,
    Since you can't use system restore from within Windows, I would try it
    during boot.
    I mean, press F8 during boot and choose System Restore from there.
    What I still cannot understand is why do you also have issues when booting
    with the Vista DVD alone.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 12, 2008

  3. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Thanks for your message Carlos.
    I used System Restore during reboot. I am not sure it restored a previous
    version, anyway all the symptoms are still present.

    Not being able to reboot from the DVD is due possibly to a malware present
    in the system.

    Thanks,

    Dan, Jun 12, 2008
  4. Once an OS is installed on the hard drive the optical drive has to be set in
    the BIOS to be higher in the boot order than the harddrive in order to boot
    from a dvd. Check your boot order in the BIOS.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 12, 2008
  5. Dan

    Carlos Guest

    Dan,
    Already thought of that, but neither malware nor virus can prevent booting
    from the DVD because they are still not running.
    Colin's advice about boot sequence in BIOS is the first thing to look at.
    By the way, did you do any hardware changes lately?
    Can you unplug as many external devices as you can and then check again?
    Once you have solved the issue, I suggest you go for full backup setup.
    Software: Acronis True Image Home
    Media: External (USB) hard disk
    I do full Vista backups once a month after the second Tuesday (MSFT monthly
    updates) and it is really a life saver.
    I had to resort to it a couple of weeks back when my system started to give
    many errors after having experimented with video/audio decoders.
    Best of luck.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 12, 2008
  6. I do the full backup with ATI just before Patch Tuesday just in case an
    update will cause me issues that I cannot correct by uninstalling the
    offending update, but the same idea.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 12, 2008
  7. Dan

    Carlos Guest

    Well, I actually keep two backup copies.
    1.- A "pre-Tuesday" one, which is really the "post-Tuesday" of last month.
    This is the one I keep "outside" the computer in an external drive.
    2.- A "post-Tuesday" one, of the current month.
    This one is kept "inside" the computer in a dedicated partition.
    So, after Patch Tuesday, I first push the "inside" copy "outside", deleting
    the old one and then create an "inside" backup of the current state.

    Better safe than sorry.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 12, 2008