    programs.
    Any advice or solutions??
    .... thanks!
    SL, Nov 8, 2003

  2. On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 20:12:14 -0400, "SL" <> wrote:

    >I have win98 SE. Lately the computer seems to be running slower. I ran my
    >Norton Anti Virus...no viruses. I run system resourses and when I am not
    >running any programs the resourses meter keeps going down....slowly. It
    >starts at about 65% then trickles down to 60-50-40-30....thru the day. Then
    >a warning pops up saying 90 % of resourses in use, start shutting stuff
    >down. When i click on the system resourse meter, it is showing 40 - 50 % but
    >not 90% as the warning says...I know Norton is always running in some
    >capacity, but I have nothing else running in the task bar or in background
    >or whatever.... I shut everything i possibly could, but still this is
    >happening. No I dont have Kazza or any of those music download all the time
    >programs.
    > Any advice or solutions??
    >... thanks!

    SOMETHING is leaking resources. The perception that the computer is running
    slower is a red herring. Low resources do not make a computer run slower. The
    computer will run at the same speed until you get below about 10% free, and then
    it will freeze up or crash.

    What programs or internet aids have you installed in the past couple of months?

    BB
    BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com, Nov 8, 2003

  3. SL

    SL Guest

    Nothing that I can think of has been installed for internet aids. System is
    running at 56% right now, and the only thing running is email, and Norton
    Anti Virus.

    SL, Nov 8, 2003
  4. On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 21:05:29 -0400, "SL" <> wrote:

    >Nothing that I can think of has been installed for internet aids. System is
    >running at 56% right now, and the only thing running is email, and Norton
    >Anti Virus.

    Disable Norton and see if the problem still exists. 56% is no problem. 10% or
    lower is a problem.

    BB
    BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com, Nov 8, 2003
  5. SL

    Todd Howard Guest

    Get a progem called Spybot from www.downloads.com
    Run it and I bet it will find a lot of spyware crap on your machine....
    TH

    Todd Howard, Nov 8, 2003
  6. On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 00:44:23 -0500, "Todd Howard" <>
    wrote:

    >Get a progem called Spybot from www.downloads.com
    >Run it and I bet it will find a lot of spyware crap on your machine....
    >TH

    That's a good suggestion for anybody and everybody. Just make sure that you
    download the right program. There are several imitators with the word "spybot"
    in their name. The one to get is "Spybot Search & Destroy". Make sure to do the
    updates before running it for the first time.

    BB

    BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com, Nov 8, 2003
  7. SL

    SL Guest

    I downloaded and installed, That program found a lot of "CRAP" and now
    system is running better
    Currently System 70%
    Resources 70%
    GDI resources 84%
    Thanks!

    > On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 00:44:23 -0500, "Todd Howard"

    <>

    SL, Nov 8, 2003
  8. SL

    Trent© Guest

    On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 09:33:05 -0400, "SL"
    <> wrote:

    >I downloaded and installed, That program found a lot of "CRAP" and now
    >system is running better
    >Currently System 70%
    >Resources 70%
    >GDI resources 84%
    >Thanks!

    AdAware is much better...but glad you got the problem solved.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Nov 8, 2003
  9. SL

    Trent© Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Nothing that I can think of has been installed for internet aids. System is
    >running at 56% right now, and the only thing running is email, and Norton
    >Anti Virus.

    These are the only PROGRAMS running...and, actually, these are the
    only programs that you can SEE running.

    There's a lot of other stuff running that use system resources...your
    mouse, your Internet connection, etc.

    Its not just programs that use system resources.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Nov 8, 2003
  10. On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 10:46:44 -0500, Trent© <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 09:33:05 -0400, "SL"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>I downloaded and installed, That program found a lot of "CRAP" and now
    >>system is running better
    >>Currently System 70%
    >>Resources 70%
    >>GDI resources 84%
    >>Thanks!

    >AdAware is much better...but glad you got the problem solved.

    Specifics, please. What makes AdAware better? The fact that they don't update
    their definitions as often, or the fact that they miss so many things that
    Spybot Search & Destroy picks up?

    I used to use AdAware, but found that if I ran Spybot Search & Destroy after
    running AdAware, it would pick up a lot of stuff that AdAware completely missed.

    I have heard some people say they "liked" adaware" but not one had EVER claimed
    it was even slightly better than Spybot, much less "much better" as you claim.

    BB
    BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com, Nov 8, 2003
  11. SL

    Michael-NC Guest

    wrote:

    > >On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 09:33:05 -0400, "SL"
    > ><> wrote:
    > >
    > >>I downloaded and installed, That program found a lot of "CRAP" and now
    > >>system is running better
    > >>Currently System 70%
    > >>Resources 70%
    > >>GDI resources 84%
    > >>Thanks!

    > >AdAware is much better...but glad you got the problem solved.
    > >

    > Specifics, please. What makes AdAware better? The fact that they don't

    update
    > their definitions as often, or the fact that they miss so many things that
    > Spybot Search & Destroy picks up?
    >
    > I used to use AdAware, but found that if I ran Spybot Search & Destroy

    after
    > running AdAware, it would pick up a lot of stuff that AdAware completely

    missed.

    > I have heard some people say they "liked" adaware" but not one had EVER

    claimed
    > it was even slightly better than Spybot, much less "much better" as you

    claim.

    > BB

    Captain Surreptitious will never answer questions like that. It would be
    like taking off his mask!
    Michael-NC, Nov 9, 2003
  12. SL

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    > I used to use AdAware, but found that if I ran Spybot Search & Destroy
    > after running AdAware, it would pick up a lot of stuff that AdAware
    > completely missed.

    The reverse is completely true. Run spybot, then run adaware and see what
    spybot didn't get.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    DeMoN LaG, Nov 9, 2003
  13. SL

    Michael-NC Guest

    The reverse of your experience is true of my own experience. Spybot found
    things Adaware didn't.

    For best results, run both.

    Michael-NC, Nov 9, 2003
  14. SL

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Michael-NC" <> wrote in news:2thrb.103792
    $:

    > The reverse of your experience is true of my own experience. Spybot found
    > things Adaware didn't.
    >
    > For best results, run both.

    That is what I was saying. Spybot misses some things (or doesn't think
    they are a threat), and AdAware does the same

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 9, 2003
  15. SL

    Talc Ta Matt Guest

    >For best results, run both.

    This is the best bet. I also run HijackThis, but that program isn't for
    dummies.
    Talc Ta Matt, Nov 9, 2003
  16. On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 02:08:31 -0000, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

    >BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com wrote in
    >
    >> I used to use AdAware, but found that if I ran Spybot Search & Destroy
    >> after running AdAware, it would pick up a lot of stuff that AdAware
    >> completely missed.

    >The reverse is completely true. Run spybot, then run adaware and see what
    >spybot didn't get.

    Trent states unequivocaly that AdAware is FAR better. Do you agree? I have run
    AdAware after running spybot, and it found far less additional items than what
    Spybot found when running the reverse sequence.

    BB
    BinaryBillTheSailor@Sea++.com, Nov 9, 2003
  17. SL

    Trent© Guest

    On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 02:06:50 GMT, "Michael-NC"
    <> wrote:

    >Captain Surreptitious will never answer questions like that. It would be
    >like taking off his mask!

    I don't respond to dead guys...especially a dead guy that was a prick
    when he was alive.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Nov 9, 2003
  18. SL

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    > Trent states unequivocaly that AdAware is FAR better. Do you agree? I
    > have run AdAware after running spybot, and it found far less
    > additional items than what Spybot found when running the reverse
    > sequence.

    I think they are both around the same, I've never seen a major difference
    between what they find, like it isn't as though one finds Gator and the
    other doesn't, it's like one thinks the Alexa thing in IE is a spyware
    device and the other doesn't.

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 9, 2003