    I can't actually get into WIndows there is nothing I can do with startup
    options, checking the registry or any other Windows-based fix

    What can I do to diagnose/fix this problem?
    =?Utf-8?B?Zmx5YnkxMjM0?=, Jul 27, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Zmx5YnkxMjM0?=

    warpsix Guest

    flyby1234 wrote:
    > I have done a clean install of Win XP Pro 64 on a SATA RAID 1 using 2 Maxtor
    > 300 GB drives on an ASUS A8V mobo using the onboard Promise 378 controller
    > with fasttx2k drivers version 1039.
    >
    > The install went well until the final reboot, when at the point where
    > windows should start, the computer continually reboots. On subsequent reboots
    > I get the screen asking me if I want to start Windows normally, use Safemode,
    > last known config etc. All of these options results in another reboot. Since
    > I can't actually get into WIndows there is nothing I can do with startup
    > options, checking the registry or any other Windows-based fix
    >
    > What can I do to diagnose/fix this problem?

    Are you sure your using the promise controller and not plugged into the
    VIA controller by mistake, during the cpp other people had this issue
    but a double check of the plugs solved it for some people and there is a
    newer driver on planetamd.com "promise 378 x64 v1.0.1.41" you might
    want to give it a try.
    warpsix, Jul 27, 2005

  3. This is an indication of incorrect plug and play drivers being used. Several
    possibilities:
    1.) you are actually connected to the VIA RAID SATA plugs.
    2.) Your drivers are bad/corrupted
    3.) The version of drivers you have is not properly decorated.

    See our blog posts on F6 and PnP storage drivers for more information.

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 27, 2005
  4. The VIA RAID controller is above the Promise. I do not think Win XP would
    have recognized the drives if I had tried using the VIA controller with the
    Promise drivers. The 1039 drivers work, while the 1041 drivers generate an
    install error "fasttx2k.sys has caused an unexpected error (18) in line
    xxxx...". In any case, how do I change them without another install? If I use
    the repair utility I suppose I could dig them out and replace them with the
    1041 set. I presume they are in the system 32 directory. Also I will check
    your blog.

    thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?Zmx5YnkxMjM0?=, Jul 27, 2005
  5. Your easiest solution is to do a fresh or repair install with the drivers
    that work. Doesn't really make sense to do a repair install, since if I
    understood correctly, you never actually got in to Windows. Just redo the
    installation with the right drivers this time.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 27, 2005
  6. flyby1234 wrote:
    > I have done a clean install of Win XP Pro 64 on a SATA RAID 1 using 2 Maxtor
    > 300 GB drives on an ASUS A8V mobo using the onboard Promise 378 controller
    > with fasttx2k drivers version 1039.

    I had the same problem with the first test release. It possible that
    your drivers are not decorated. The decoration is not checked by the
    driver load in the installation system (F6), but it is checked when the
    real system boots. Theoretically there should be a legible warning
    message, but I guess it reboots to fast.

    So try to get more recent drivers, the decoration was introduced 6 month
    ago in late beta stage. Then you have to reinstall it.

    Thomas
    Thomas Steffen, Jul 27, 2005