    Thank you!

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0539-2, 09/29/2005
    Tested on: 9/30/2005 10:09:20 AM

    Breck Fontaine, Sep 30, 2005

  2. Breck Fontaine

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Breck Fontaine wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am using Mozilla Firefox 1.0.7 with Windows XP Pro. Sometimes when
    > browsing the internet using Firefox my computer system will reboot. It
    > seems to happen most when I click a link on a webpage to another
    > webpage and also happens when just browing online. I have scanned my
    > system for a virus or spyware with numerous programs (Panda Active
    > Scan, Avast, Spybot, and Ad-Aware) but have found nothing. Is this a
    > new bug within Firefox or just a fluke? Any help or advice would be
    > appreciated.

    I would first try running in Safe Mode to determine if the problem is
    caused by some extension you installed. Next I'd try a new profile and
    see if that cures the problem. I have no such problem with FF 1.0.7 on
    Win XP Home or Pro.

    > Thank you!
    >

    > ---
    > Virus Database (VPS): 0539-2, 09/29/2005
    > Tested on: 9/30/2005 10:09:20 AM

    Please correct your signature delimiter. It should be two dashes and a
    space as in mine below. More info:
    http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_sigtag.html

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Sep 30, 2005

  3. Breck Fontaine

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 10:09:20 -0400, in message
     <>, Breck Fontaine wrote:

    > I am using Mozilla Firefox 1.0.7 with Windows XP Pro. Sometimes when
    > browsing the internet using Firefox my computer system will reboot. It
    > seems to happen most when I click a link on a webpage to another
    > webpage and also happens when just browing online. I have scanned my
    > system for a virus or spyware with numerous programs (Panda Active
    > Scan, Avast, Spybot, and Ad-Aware) but have found nothing. Is this a
    > new bug within Firefox or just a fluke? Any help or advice would be
    > appreciated.

    Most likely a buggy device driver or display driver on your system.
    Update the drivers in your OS, or use only 'signed' drivers.

    My old PC at work would lock up or reboot when following some links.
    No such problem on my new PC at work, nor ever on my home PC.
    I reckoned that the old work PC's display driver was sometimes
    crashing when trying to display some images.

    Also, go to newsgroup netscape.public.mozilla.general and read this thread:

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Change is inevitable. Progress is optional.

    Ralph Fox, Sep 30, 2005
  4. Breck Fontaine

    gwtc Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:

    > Breck Fontaine wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I am using Mozilla Firefox 1.0.7 with Windows XP Pro. Sometimes when
    >> browsing the internet using Firefox my computer system will reboot. It
    >> seems to happen most when I click a link on a webpage to another
    >> webpage and also happens when just browing online. I have scanned my
    >> system for a virus or spyware with numerous programs (Panda Active
    >> Scan, Avast, Spybot, and Ad-Aware) but have found nothing. Is this a
    >> new bug within Firefox or just a fluke? Any help or advice would be
    >> appreciated.

    > I would first try running in Safe Mode to determine if the problem is
    > caused by some extension you installed. Next I'd try a new profile and
    > see if that cures the problem. I have no such problem with FF 1.0.7 on
    > Win XP Home or Pro.
    >
    >> Thank you!
    >>

    >> ---
    >> avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
    >> Virus Database (VPS): 0539-2, 09/29/2005
    >> Tested on: 9/30/2005 10:09:20 AM
    >>

    > Please correct your signature delimiter. It should be two dashes and a
    > space as in mine below. More info:
    > http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_sigtag.html

    Again, Ed, I think that sig is coming from the senders ISP, email
    provider, and/or antivirus program. But then I could be wrong.

    gwtc, Sep 30, 2005
  5. Breck Fontaine

    Ed Mullen Guest

    gwtc wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >
    >> Breck Fontaine wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I am using Mozilla Firefox 1.0.7 with Windows XP Pro. Sometimes when
    >>> browsing the internet using Firefox my computer system will reboot. It
    >>> seems to happen most when I click a link on a webpage to another
    >>> webpage and also happens when just browing online. I have scanned my
    >>> system for a virus or spyware with numerous programs (Panda Active
    >>> Scan, Avast, Spybot, and Ad-Aware) but have found nothing. Is this a
    >>> new bug within Firefox or just a fluke? Any help or advice would be
    >>> appreciated.

    >> I would first try running in Safe Mode to determine if the problem is
    >> caused by some extension you installed. Next I'd try a new profile
    >> and see if that cures the problem. I have no such problem with FF
    >> 1.0.7 on Win XP Home or Pro.
    >>
    >>> Thank you!
    >>>

    >>> ---
    >>> avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
    >>> Virus Database (VPS): 0539-2, 09/29/2005
    >>> Tested on: 9/30/2005 10:09:20 AM
    >>> avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2004 ALWIL Software.
    >>>

    >> Please correct your signature delimiter. It should be two dashes and
    >> a space as in mine below. More info:
    >> http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_sigtag.html
    >>

    > Again, Ed, I think that sig is coming from the senders ISP, email
    > provider, and/or antivirus program. But then I could be wrong.

    Probably right. So, as in the other case, all the OP has to do is
    construct a valid sig to be inserted before the junk and it will be
    stripped out in subsequent replies. Or find an option in Avast to turn
    off the automatic signature insertion. I did a quick look on avast.com
    and I think that is possible.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Oct 1, 2005
  6. Thanks for all the help. I will try to see about the drivers for my
    graphics card but I don't think anything new has been released. I am
    running a nVidia GeForce FX5200 128mg card. The reboots only happen
    with Firefox and not Internet Explorer.

    On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 10:09:20 -0400, Breck Fontaine
    <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I am using Mozilla Firefox 1.0.7 with Windows XP Pro. Sometimes when
    >browsing the internet using Firefox my computer system will reboot. It
    >seems to happen most when I click a link on a webpage to another
    >webpage and also happens when just browing online. I have scanned my
    >system for a virus or spyware with numerous programs (Panda Active
    >Scan, Avast, Spybot, and Ad-Aware) but have found nothing. Is this a
    >new bug within Firefox or just a fluke? Any help or advice would be
    >appreciated.
    >
    >Thank you!
    >

    >---
    >avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
    >Virus Database (VPS): 0539-2, 09/29/2005
    >Tested on: 9/30/2005 10:09:20 AM
    >avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2004 ALWIL Software.
    >

    >---
    >avast! Antivirus: Inbound message clean.
    >Virus Database (VPS): 0539-2, 09/29/2005
    >Tested on: 9/30/2005 10:09:38 AM
    >avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2004 ALWIL Software.

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0539-2, 09/29/2005
    Tested on: 9/30/2005 11:02:29 PM

    Breck Fontaine, Oct 1, 2005
  7. Breck Fontaine

    gwtc Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >> Ed Mullen wrote:

    >>> I would first try running in Safe Mode to determine if the problem is
    >>> caused by some extension you installed. Next I'd try a new profile
    >>> and see if that cures the problem. I have no such problem with FF
    >>> 1.0.7 on Win XP Home or Pro.

    >>> Please correct your signature delimiter. It should be two dashes and
    >>> a space as in mine below. More info:
    >>> http://mozilla.edmullen.net/moz_sigtag.html
    >>>

    >> Again, Ed, I think that sig is coming from the senders ISP, email
    >> provider, and/or antivirus program. But then I could be wrong.

    > Probably right. So, as in the other case, all the OP has to do is
    > construct a valid sig to be inserted before the junk and it will be
    > stripped out in subsequent replies. Or find an option in Avast to turn
    > off the automatic signature insertion. I did a quick look on avast.com
    > and I think that is possible.

    Sorry Ed, but I just tried it with Netscape Webmail and Yahoo. I
    added the sig delimiter to the end of my message, and their tag
    line/sig file wouldn't get stripped when I replied to the test
    message. Then I tested it with a sig file and it still didn't work.

    gwtc, Oct 1, 2005
  8. I installed Deer Park 1.5 Beta version and the problem does not happen
    now.

    Thanks!

    On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 23:02:29 -0400, Breck Fontaine
    <> wrote:

    >Thanks for all the help. I will try to see about the drivers for my
    >graphics card but I don't think anything new has been released. I am
    >running a nVidia GeForce FX5200 128mg card. The reboots only happen
    >with Firefox and not Internet Explorer.
    >

    >On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 10:09:20 -0400, Breck Fontaine
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>I am using Mozilla Firefox 1.0.7 with Windows XP Pro. Sometimes when
    >>browsing the internet using Firefox my computer system will reboot. It
    >>seems to happen most when I click a link on a webpage to another
    >>webpage and also happens when just browing online. I have scanned my
    >>system for a virus or spyware with numerous programs (Panda Active
    >>Scan, Avast, Spybot, and Ad-Aware) but have found nothing. Is this a
    >>new bug within Firefox or just a fluke? Any help or advice would be
    >>appreciated.
    >>
    >>Thank you!
    >>

    >>---
    >>avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
    >>Virus Database (VPS): 0539-2, 09/29/2005
    >>Tested on: 9/30/2005 10:09:20 AM
    >>avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2004 ALWIL Software.
    >>

    >>---
    >>avast! Antivirus: Inbound message clean.
    >>Virus Database (VPS): 0539-2, 09/29/2005
    >>Tested on: 9/30/2005 10:09:38 AM
    >>avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2004 ALWIL Software.
    >>

    >---
    >avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
    >Virus Database (VPS): 0539-2, 09/29/2005
    >Tested on: 9/30/2005 11:02:29 PM
    >avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2004 ALWIL Software.
    >

    >---
    >avast! Antivirus: Inbound message clean.
    >Virus Database (VPS): 0539-2, 09/29/2005
    >Tested on: 9/30/2005 11:02:48 PM
    >avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2004 ALWIL Software.

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0539-3, 09/30/2005
    Tested on: 10/2/2005 7:18:32 PM

    Breck Fontaine, Oct 3, 2005
  9. Breck Fontaine

    Ed Mullen Guest

    gwtc wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >
    >> gwtc wrote:

    >>> Again, Ed, I think that sig is coming from the senders ISP, email
    >>> provider, and/or antivirus program. But then I could be wrong.

    >> Probably right. So, as in the other case, all the OP has to do is
    >> construct a valid sig to be inserted before the junk and it will be
    >> stripped out in subsequent replies. Or find an option in Avast to
    >> turn off the automatic signature insertion. I did a quick look on
    >> avast.com and I think that is possible.
    >>

    > Sorry Ed, but I just tried it with Netscape Webmail and Yahoo. I added
    > the sig delimiter to the end of my message, and their tag line/sig file
    > wouldn't get stripped when I replied to the test message. Then I tested
    > it with a sig file and it still didn't work.

    If I recall correctly, sig stripping only works in newsgroups, not email.
    Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Oct 3, 2005
  10. Ed Mullen wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >> Ed Mullen wrote:

    >>> Probably right. So, as in the other case, all the OP has to do is
    >>> construct a valid sig to be inserted before the junk and it will be
    >>> stripped out in subsequent replies. Or find an option in Avast to
    >>> turn off the automatic signature insertion. I did a quick look on
    >>> avast.com and I think that is possible.
    >>>

    >> Sorry Ed, but I just tried it with Netscape Webmail and Yahoo. I
    >> added the sig delimiter to the end of my message, and their tag
    >> line/sig file wouldn't get stripped when I replied to the test
    >> message. Then I tested it with a sig file and it still didn't work.

    > If I recall correctly, sig stripping only works in newsgroups, not email.
    > Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

    Ed, I think it works quite well in mail, as long as long as "start my
    reply before the quote" is selected. If "above the quote" is selected,
    the delimiter is not inserted, since that would remove the quote.\

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 3, 2005