System reboot loading DVD into drive.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by PC, Dec 5, 2005.

  1. PC

    PC Guest

    Greetings all.

    Equipment:
    Athlon 2800/1GB/ 2 x 80GB SATA Raid array/ Windows XP rest is a pretty
    normal 'box'
    DVD drive is a LG GSA4163B DVD +- R/RW/RAM.

    Symptoms:
    * Start with a DVD RAM disk in the drive & the system gets to the boot
    screen and immediately reboots (& loops continuously)
    *No DVD RAM disk in the drive and the system boots normally & works all day
    no problems.
    *With the system running normally, open the drive and insert a DVD RAM disk
    and the system immediately reboots and loops as before. Opening the drive
    allows a normal boot to proceed.
    * CMOS is set to HD boot only (SATA)

    DVD RAM disks have been checked on another PC, work 100% read and write.
    Heat does not appear to be an issue (CPU at 37 degrees)
    System has been working fine for some months.

    I've never had this sort of fault before.
    System can only be worked on after hours so any pointers to it's likely
    cause would be greatly appreciated.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Dec 5, 2005

  2. PC

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 00:00:00 +1300, "PC" <> wrote:

    >Greetings all.
    >
    >Equipment:
    >Athlon 2800/1GB/ 2 x 80GB SATA Raid array/ Windows XP rest is a pretty
    >normal 'box'
    >DVD drive is a LG GSA4163B DVD +- R/RW/RAM.
    >
    >Symptoms:
    >* Start with a DVD RAM disk in the drive & the system gets to the boot
    >screen and immediately reboots (& loops continuously)
    >*No DVD RAM disk in the drive and the system boots normally & works all day
    >no problems.
    >*With the system running normally, open the drive and insert a DVD RAM disk
    >and the system immediately reboots and loops as before. Opening the drive
    >allows a normal boot to proceed.
    >* CMOS is set to HD boot only (SATA)
    >
    >DVD RAM disks have been checked on another PC, work 100% read and write.
    >Heat does not appear to be an issue (CPU at 37 degrees)
    >System has been working fine for some months.
    >
    >I've never had this sort of fault before.
    >System can only be worked on after hours so any pointers to it's likely
    >cause would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    >Cheers
    >Paul.

    Try turning off auto-insert notification and see what happens. Is it
    any DVD-RAM disc?

    GraB, Dec 5, 2005

  3. PC

    PC Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 00:00:00 +1300, "PC" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Greetings all.
    >>
    >>Equipment:
    >>Athlon 2800/1GB/ 2 x 80GB SATA Raid array/ Windows XP rest is a pretty
    >>normal 'box'
    >>DVD drive is a LG GSA4163B DVD +- R/RW/RAM.
    >>
    >>Symptoms:
    >>* Start with a DVD RAM disk in the drive & the system gets to the boot
    >>screen and immediately reboots (& loops continuously)
    >>*No DVD RAM disk in the drive and the system boots normally & works all
    >>day
    >>no problems.
    >>*With the system running normally, open the drive and insert a DVD RAM
    >>disk
    >>and the system immediately reboots and loops as before. Opening the drive
    >>allows a normal boot to proceed.
    >>* CMOS is set to HD boot only (SATA)
    >>
    >>DVD RAM disks have been checked on another PC, work 100% read and write.
    >>Heat does not appear to be an issue (CPU at 37 degrees)
    >>System has been working fine for some months.
    >>
    >>I've never had this sort of fault before.
    >>System can only be worked on after hours so any pointers to it's likely
    >>cause would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >>Cheers
    >>Paul.
    >>

    > Try turning off auto-insert notification and see what happens. Is it
    > any DVD-RAM disc?

    Thanks for the thought Grab, it happens on several RAM disks.
    I'll check the auto insert, but somehow I don't think that's it given the
    way it reboots at startup well before the OS gets going.
    Kinda feeling more & more like a hardware fault to me.

    Paul.

    PC, Dec 5, 2005
  4. PC

    Rider Guest

    "PC" <> wrote in message
    > Greetings all.
    >
    > Equipment:
    > Athlon 2800/1GB/ 2 x 80GB SATA Raid array/ Windows XP rest is a pretty
    > normal 'box'
    > DVD drive is a LG GSA4163B DVD +- R/RW/RAM.
    >
    > Symptoms:
    > * Start with a DVD RAM disk in the drive & the system gets to the boot
    > screen and immediately reboots (& loops continuously)
    > *No DVD RAM disk in the drive and the system boots normally & works all
    > day no problems.
    > *With the system running normally, open the drive and insert a DVD RAM
    > disk and the system immediately reboots and loops as before. Opening the
    > drive allows a normal boot to proceed.
    > * CMOS is set to HD boot only (SATA)
    >
    > DVD RAM disks have been checked on another PC, work 100% read and write.
    > Heat does not appear to be an issue (CPU at 37 degrees)
    > System has been working fine for some months.
    >
    > I've never had this sort of fault before.
    > System can only be worked on after hours so any pointers to it's likely
    > cause would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Paul.

    Sad power supply maybe?

    Rider

    Rider, Dec 5, 2005
  5. PC

    Andrew Guest

    PC wrote:
    > Greetings all.
    >
    > Equipment:
    > Athlon 2800/1GB/ 2 x 80GB SATA Raid array/ Windows XP rest is a pretty
    > normal 'box'
    > DVD drive is a LG GSA4163B DVD +- R/RW/RAM.
    >
    > Symptoms:
    > * Start with a DVD RAM disk in the drive & the system gets to the boot
    > screen and immediately reboots (& loops continuously)
    > *No DVD RAM disk in the drive and the system boots normally & works all day
    > no problems.
    > *With the system running normally, open the drive and insert a DVD RAM disk
    > and the system immediately reboots and loops as before. Opening the drive
    > allows a normal boot to proceed.
    > * CMOS is set to HD boot only (SATA)
    >
    > DVD RAM disks have been checked on another PC, work 100% read and write.
    > Heat does not appear to be an issue (CPU at 37 degrees)
    > System has been working fine for some months.
    >
    > I've never had this sort of fault before.
    > System can only be worked on after hours so any pointers to it's likely
    > cause would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Paul.

    Ive had this before... i replaced the drive and all was well

    Andrew, Dec 5, 2005
  6. PC

    PC Guest

    Results : Was "System reboot loading DVD into drive."

    "PC" <> wrote in message
    > Greetings all.
    >
    > Equipment:
    > Athlon 2800/1GB/ 2 x 80GB SATA Raid array/ Windows XP rest is a pretty
    > normal 'box'
    > DVD drive is a LG GSA4163B DVD +- R/RW/RAM.
    >
    > Symptoms:
    > * Start with a DVD RAM disk in the drive & the system gets to the boot
    > screen and immediately reboots (& loops continuously)
    > *No DVD RAM disk in the drive and the system boots normally & works all
    > day no problems.
    > *With the system running normally, open the drive and insert a DVD RAM
    > disk and the system immediately reboots and loops as before. Opening the
    > drive allows a normal boot to proceed.
    > * CMOS is set to HD boot only (SATA)
    >
    > DVD RAM disks have been checked on another PC, work 100% read and write.
    > Heat does not appear to be an issue (CPU at 37 degrees)
    > System has been working fine for some months.
    >
    > I've never had this sort of fault before.
    > System can only be worked on after hours so any pointers to it's likely
    > cause would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Paul.

    Turned out to be the Power Supply, Voltages all ok but the extra load with a
    DVD in the drive was enough to make the PS fall over.
    New PS fixed it.

    Thanks to all.

    Paul.

    PC, Dec 18, 2005
  7. PC

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Re: Results : Was "System reboot loading DVD into drive."

    PC wrote:
    > "PC" <> wrote in message
    >> Greetings all.
    >>
    >> Equipment:
    >> Athlon 2800/1GB/ 2 x 80GB SATA Raid array/ Windows XP rest is a
    >> pretty normal 'box'
    >> DVD drive is a LG GSA4163B DVD +- R/RW/RAM.
    >>
    >> Symptoms:
    >> * Start with a DVD RAM disk in the drive & the system gets to the
    >> boot screen and immediately reboots (& loops continuously)
    >> *No DVD RAM disk in the drive and the system boots normally & works
    >> all day no problems.
    >> *With the system running normally, open the drive and insert a DVD
    >> RAM disk and the system immediately reboots and loops as before.
    >> Opening the drive allows a normal boot to proceed.
    >> * CMOS is set to HD boot only (SATA)
    >>
    >> DVD RAM disks have been checked on another PC, work 100% read and
    >> write. Heat does not appear to be an issue (CPU at 37 degrees)
    >> System has been working fine for some months.
    >>
    >> I've never had this sort of fault before.
    >> System can only be worked on after hours so any pointers to it's
    >> likely cause would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >> Paul.
    >>

    > Turned out to be the Power Supply, Voltages all ok but the extra load
    > with a DVD in the drive was enough to make the PS fall over.
    > New PS fixed it.
    >
    > Thanks to all.

    Thanks for posting the outcome, much appreciated. Not enough people do that.

    Cheers, and Merry Christmas.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Dec 18, 2005
  8. PC

    PC Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > PC wrote:
    >> "PC" <> wrote in message
    >>> Greetings all.
    >>>
    >>> Equipment:
    >>> Athlon 2800/1GB/ 2 x 80GB SATA Raid array/ Windows XP rest is a
    >>> pretty normal 'box'
    >>> DVD drive is a LG GSA4163B DVD +- R/RW/RAM.
    >>>
    >>> Symptoms:
    >>> * Start with a DVD RAM disk in the drive & the system gets to the
    >>> boot screen and immediately reboots (& loops continuously)
    >>> *No DVD RAM disk in the drive and the system boots normally & works
    >>> all day no problems.
    >>> *With the system running normally, open the drive and insert a DVD
    >>> RAM disk and the system immediately reboots and loops as before.
    >>> Opening the drive allows a normal boot to proceed.
    >>> * CMOS is set to HD boot only (SATA)
    >>>
    >>> DVD RAM disks have been checked on another PC, work 100% read and
    >>> write. Heat does not appear to be an issue (CPU at 37 degrees)
    >>> System has been working fine for some months.
    >>>
    >>> I've never had this sort of fault before.
    >>> System can only be worked on after hours so any pointers to it's
    >>> likely cause would be greatly appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>> Paul.
    >>>

    >> Turned out to be the Power Supply, Voltages all ok but the extra load
    >> with a DVD in the drive was enough to make the PS fall over.
    >> New PS fixed it.
    >>
    >> Thanks to all.

    > Thanks for posting the outcome, much appreciated. Not enough people do
    > that.
    >
    > Cheers, and Merry Christmas.
    > --
    > ~misfit~