System Process CPU Affinity on 64-bit O/S

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Ged, Apr 11, 2006.

  1. Ged

    Ged Guest

    Hi all

    Whilst working on a small project, I came across an issue with setting the
    cpu affinity for the "system" process on a 64-bit machine.
    Setting the CPU affinity to CPU 0 (or any single cpu on a multi cpu
    machine), windows will BSOD with "INVALID_AFFINITY_SET" error.

    Has anyone else come across this, or is willing to attempt to reproduce on
    their machine to confirm it ?

    Steps to reproduce :
    1. Start up task manager as as system user (use the "at" command).
    2. Right click on "system" process and select "Set Affinity..."
    3. Select 1 CPU and unselect the others.
    4. Sit back and wait - takes approx 20 - 60 seconds.

    NB The same thing can be reproduced from code by calling
    SetProcessAffinityMask.

    Hardware : DELL Precision 380
    O/S : Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition 64-bit (version 5.2 Build
    3790.srv03_sp1_rtm.050324-1447 : Service Pack 1)
    CPU : Intel Pentium D CPU 3.20GHz

    Bios setting : Dual Core = ON, Hyperthreading = ON

    Thanks

    Ged
    Ged, Apr 11, 2006

  2. Ged

    Peter Lawton Guest

    Strange, it works fine on my multi core AMD systems

    Peter Lawton

    Peter Lawton, Apr 12, 2006

  3. Ged

    Ged Guest

    Thanks for replying.

    I've managed to reproduce this on a different machine.
    Running XP 64 and 2K3 Ent Ed 64 with the same results.
    The new machine has an Intel Xeon under the hood.

    I'll see if I can find an AMD machine to test it on.
    Has anyone else seen this happen on an Intel machine ?

    Cheers

    Ged

    Ged, Apr 12, 2006
  4. Ged

    -nos1eep Guest

    It is further alleged that on or about Wed, 12 Apr 2006 11:46:00
    +0100, in microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general, the queezy keyboard
    of "Ged" <> spewed the following:

    |Thanks for replying.
    |
    |I've managed to reproduce this on a different machine.
    |Running XP 64 and 2K3 Ent Ed 64 with the same results.
    |The new machine has an Intel Xeon under the hood.
    |
    |I'll see if I can find an AMD machine to test it on.
    |Has anyone else seen this happen on an Intel machine ?

    AFAIK you cannot set affinity for system processes, my AMD x2 running
    x64 simply denies access. Have a root around this link.
    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/power/en/ps3q03_wsrm?c=us&cs=RC968571&l=en&s=hea
    --
    -nos1eep
    -nos1eep, Apr 13, 2006
  5. Ged

    Ged Guest

    Did you start task manager as the system account i.e. using the at command :

    at 11:20 /interactive "taskmgr.exe"

    ....but changing the time to something more suitable ?

    Just starting it as administrator won't allow you to change the affinity for
    "system". You will get an "Access is denied" message.
    Although, I can do it from code with no problems using
    SetProcessAffinityMask.

    Cheers for the link.
    I've had a look round it, but it seems to refer to Windows System Resource
    Manager for CPU affinity management.
    I can't find that on my Dell machine, so I'm assuming it is a Dell utility
    that needs to be installed.
    I cannot assume that it will be installed on any destination machines, so I
    cannot utilise it.
    Also, it doubt it would prevent me from setting the affinity via code.

    Cheers

    Ged

    Ged, Apr 13, 2006
  6. Hello,
    For Windows System Resource Manager you can start here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/downloads/winsrvr/wsrm.mspx

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    <From: "Ged" <>