    oh and to appease those in the group ... I have Mandrake and XP dual
    boot on the machine... and it worked sweetly for some time ... 'til I
    needed it...
    smf, Nov 14, 2005

  2. smf

    James West Guest

    check the Bios

    Init AGP first
    might have changed to PCI

    James

    James West, Nov 14, 2005

  3. smf

    smf Guest

    James West wrote:
    > check the Bios
    >
    > Init AGP first
    > might have changed to PCI
    >
    > James
    >
    > "smf" <time.enough***@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> So here's the deal .....
    >> I booted up my desktop - MSI k7T, Geforce4, gig of ram not much else ....
    >> and low and behold, no image on my lcd.
    >> So i pull out my video card ... fan is busted .... so okay .... replace
    >> with a new video card, operational in a friends machine... plug it in ...
    >> motherboard powers up, everything sounds good, no beep on start up, but
    >> still no image on the screen. It just tells me ..no video signal..
    >> I checked the screen by plugging it in (using the same cable) to my lappie
    >> ... no problem with the image then ... so back to the desktop....
    >> With everything powering up fine, fans, leds indicating power to the board
    >> ... I have looked really closely at the capacitors given thingy's problems
    >> in another thread, they 'look' okay, but maybe the innards are poked??
    >> I am running outta ideas now ....
    >> thanks for any advice ....
    >> oh and to appease those in the group ... I have Mandrake and XP dual boot
    >> on the machine... and it worked sweetly for some time ... 'til I needed
    >> it...

    i don't even get anything on screen to LOOK at the bios.......
    smf, Nov 14, 2005
  4. smf

    David Guest

    smf wrote:
    > James West wrote:
    >
    >> check the Bios
    >>
    >> Init AGP first
    >> might have changed to PCI
    >>
    >> James
    >>
    >> "smf" <time.enough***@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> So here's the deal .....
    >>> I booted up my desktop - MSI k7T, Geforce4, gig of ram not much else
    >>> .... and low and behold, no image on my lcd.
    >>> So i pull out my video card ... fan is busted .... so okay ....
    >>> replace with a new video card, operational in a friends machine...
    >>> plug it in ... motherboard powers up, everything sounds good, no beep
    >>> on start up, but still no image on the screen. It just tells me ..no
    >>> video signal..
    >>> I checked the screen by plugging it in (using the same cable) to my
    >>> lappie ... no problem with the image then ... so back to the desktop....
    >>> With everything powering up fine, fans, leds indicating power to the
    >>> board ... I have looked really closely at the capacitors given
    >>> thingy's problems in another thread, they 'look' okay, but maybe the
    >>> innards are poked??
    >>> I am running outta ideas now ....
    >>> thanks for any advice ....
    >>> oh and to appease those in the group ... I have Mandrake and XP dual
    >>> boot on the machine... and it worked sweetly for some time ... 'til I
    >>> needed it...

    > i don't even get anything on screen to LOOK at the bios.......

    Try another video card? Maybe a PCI one? Just to adjust the settings etc.
    David, Nov 14, 2005
  5. smf

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 06:58:08 +1300, smf <time.enough***@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >James West wrote:
    >> check the Bios
    >>
    >> Init AGP first
    >> might have changed to PCI
    >>
    >> James
    >>
    >> "smf" <time.enough***@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> So here's the deal .....
    >>> I booted up my desktop - MSI k7T, Geforce4, gig of ram not much else ....
    >>> and low and behold, no image on my lcd.
    >>> So i pull out my video card ... fan is busted .... so okay .... replace
    >>> with a new video card, operational in a friends machine... plug it in ...
    >>> motherboard powers up, everything sounds good, no beep on start up, but
    >>> still no image on the screen. It just tells me ..no video signal..
    >>> I checked the screen by plugging it in (using the same cable) to my lappie
    >>> ... no problem with the image then ... so back to the desktop....
    >>> With everything powering up fine, fans, leds indicating power to the board
    >>> ... I have looked really closely at the capacitors given thingy's problems
    >>> in another thread, they 'look' okay, but maybe the innards are poked??
    >>> I am running outta ideas now ....
    >>> thanks for any advice ....
    >>> oh and to appease those in the group ... I have Mandrake and XP dual boot
    >>> on the machine... and it worked sweetly for some time ... 'til I needed
    >>> it...

    >i don't even get anything on screen to LOOK at the bios.......

    Have you tried another monitor? Backlight failed?

    http://www.inventgeek.com/Projects/shorts/Page1.aspx
    GraB, Nov 15, 2005
  6. smf

    smf Guest

    <snip> <snip>

    i have tried a different monitor and a different cable - still the same
    effect...
    tried a PCI video card ... still no go ... board is not producing any
    video data, or at least pushing anything out to either a vga cable or a
    digital cable ... oh didnt transmit anything to a tv via the svideo port
    either.... <sighs>

    I have pulled it out and looked more closely at the board .... maybe
    there is a capacitor that has bulged - its lifted kinda off the board a
    little .. not flat like the others ......
    I figure I'll have a go at replacing the capacitor ... if it doesn't
    work then, well, guess its new motherboard time...
    damned thing ....
    thanks folks for yer input :)
    much obliged
    smf, Nov 15, 2005
  7. smf wrote:
    > So here's the deal .....
    > I booted up my desktop - MSI k7T, Geforce4, gig of ram not much else
    > .... and low and behold, no image on my lcd.
    > So i pull out my video card ... fan is busted .... so okay .... replace
    > with a new video card, operational in a friends machine... plug it in
    > ... motherboard powers up, everything sounds good, no beep on start up,
    > but still no image on the screen. It just tells me ..no video signal..
    > I checked the screen by plugging it in (using the same cable) to my
    > lappie ... no problem with the image then ... so back to the desktop....
    > With everything powering up fine, fans, leds indicating power to the
    > board ... I have looked really closely at the capacitors given thingy's
    > problems in another thread, they 'look' okay, but maybe the innards are
    > poked??
    > I am running outta ideas now ....
    > thanks for any advice ....
    > oh and to appease those in the group ... I have Mandrake and XP dual
    > boot on the machine... and it worked sweetly for some time ... 'til I
    > needed it...

    how much stuff (including the video card) do you need to rip out until it goes
    beep ?

    what happens with the old video card in the machine ?

    is the reset line/switch stuck ?

    any disk activity ?

    got a spare mobo ?

    does the new video card still work in other machines ?
    Mark Robinson, Nov 15, 2005
  8. smf

    smf Guest

    > how much stuff (including the video card) do you need to rip out until
    > it goes beep ?

    once i remove the video card it'll beep

    > what happens with the old video card in the machine ?

    same as with the new vid card - says no video input on the screen

    > is the reset line/switch stuck ?

    nope - triple checked it

    > any disk activity ?

    yep - boots nicely - all fans and everything works - and hard disks boot up

    > got a spare mobo ?

    borrowing one from work tomorrow

    > does the new video card still work in other machines ?

    yes, thanks gawd...... would have been upset if I fried it in the machine :)

    thanks muchly :)
    Sue

    smf, Nov 15, 2005
  9. smf wrote:
    >> how much stuff (including the video card) do you need to rip out until
    >> it goes beep ?

    > once i remove the video card it'll beep
    >
    >> what happens with the old video card in the machine ?

    > same as with the new vid card - says no video input on the screen
    >
    >> is the reset line/switch stuck ?

    > nope - triple checked it
    >
    >> any disk activity ?

    > yep - boots nicely - all fans and everything works - and hard disks boot up
    >
    >> got a spare mobo ?

    > borrowing one from work tomorrow
    >
    >> does the new video card still work in other machines ?

    > yes, thanks gawd...... would have been upset if I fried it in the
    > machine :)

    agp cards are particularly fussy about being well seated in their sockets.

    look closely at the sockets and clear any crap out of them.

    there's also stuff about agp speed incompatibilities

    some video cards stop giving output if they don't have a full complement of
    voltages. much of the rest of the computer will cope quite well without the
    plus and minus 12 volt rails (your serial ports might stop working) but they
    are commonly used for the analog output electronics on the video card. the
    minus 5 V is probably only used by the video card if at all. a quick poke with
    a volt meter at the power supply header on the motherboard may be fun

    might be worth trying a pci video card in it
    Mark Robinson, Nov 15, 2005
  10. smf

    thingy Guest

    smf wrote:
    > So here's the deal .....
    > I booted up my desktop - MSI k7T, Geforce4, gig of ram not much else
    > .... and low and behold, no image on my lcd.
    > So i pull out my video card ... fan is busted .... so okay .... replace
    > with a new video card, operational in a friends machine... plug it in
    > ... motherboard powers up, everything sounds good, no beep on start up,
    > but still no image on the screen. It just tells me ..no video signal..
    > I checked the screen by plugging it in (using the same cable) to my
    > lappie ... no problem with the image then ... so back to the desktop....
    > With everything powering up fine, fans, leds indicating power to the
    > board ... I have looked really closely at the capacitors given thingy's
    > problems in another thread, they 'look' okay, but maybe the innards are
    > poked??
    > I am running outta ideas now ....
    > thanks for any advice ....
    > oh and to appease those in the group ... I have Mandrake and XP dual
    > boot on the machine... and it worked sweetly for some time ... 'til I
    > needed it...

    none swolen?

    if the fan is busted the gpu could have cooked.

    got a cheap pci card hanging about?

    check your ram, take it out and out it back.

    check the capacitors on the motherboard MSI is a problem make.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Nov 15, 2005
  11. smf

    smf Guest

    <snip>

    > none swolen?
    >
    > if the fan is busted the gpu could have cooked.
    >
    > got a cheap pci card hanging about?
    >
    > check your ram, take it out and out it back.
    >
    > check the capacitors on the motherboard MSI is a problem make.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    I can't see any that are swollen - but one looks a little dodgy in that
    it is not seated against the motherboard flush like the others .... I'm
    thinking this one has gone ....
    I am gonna try replacing it .... if I bugger the board .. .well.... I
    guess its not working now anyway....
    damned boards....
    had a look on the site you linked to thingy ... and sure enough ... this
    board is one that has problems...
    thanks for your help folks
    :)
    Sue