SYSTEM PASSWORD

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Notan, Nov 17, 2005.

  1. Notan

    Notan Guest

    Jean Guilfoyle wrote:

    > I have forgotten a password that I set up on my laptop.
    >
    > When booting up the computer I get a black screen with the word "password"
    > and a prompt _.

    If it's a hard drive password, you're screwed. There are no backdoors.

    Notan
    Notan, Nov 17, 2005

  2. Notan

    Notan Guest

    Notan wrote:

    > Jean Guilfoyle wrote:
    > >
    > > I have forgotten a password that I set up on my laptop.
    > >
    > > When booting up the computer I get a black screen with the word "password"
    > > and a prompt _.

    > If it's a hard drive password, you're screwed. There are no backdoors.

    By the way, check your system clock and time zone... They're off by ~3 hours!

    Notan
    Notan, Nov 17, 2005

  3. Notan

    DavidPostill Guest

    In article <>, on Wed, 16 Nov 2005 18:24:36 -0700, Notan wrote:

    | Jean Guilfoyle wrote:
    | >
    | > I have forgotten a password that I set up on my laptop.
    | >
    | > When booting up the computer I get a black screen with the word "password"
    | > and a prompt _.
    |
    | If it's a hard drive password, you're screwed. There are no backdoors.

    Hmmph. Guess you've never heard of google then.

    <http://www.google.com/search?q=hard+drive+password+recovery>

    Third entry is:

    <http://www.hddrecovery.com.au/Hard-drive-password-recovery.htm>

    Perhaps you should do some research next time before posting inaccuracies ...
    --
    DavidPostill
    DavidPostill, Nov 17, 2005
  4. Notan

    Notan Guest

    DavidPostill wrote:

    > In article <>, on Wed, 16 Nov 2005 18:24:36 -0700, Notan wrote:
    >
    > | Jean Guilfoyle wrote:
    > | >
    > | > I have forgotten a password that I set up on my laptop.
    > | >
    > | > When booting up the computer I get a black screen with the word "password"
    > | > and a prompt _.
    > |
    > | If it's a hard drive password, you're screwed. There are no backdoors.
    >
    > Hmmph. Guess you've never heard of google then.
    >
    > <http://www.google.com/search?q=hard+drive+password+recovery>
    >
    > Third entry is:
    >
    > <http://www.hddrecovery.com.au/Hard-drive-password-recovery.htm>
    >
    > Perhaps you should do some research next time before posting inaccuracies ...

    I assumed that the OP didn't want to pay a small fortune for access.

    Have you ever dealt with any of these companies, first hand?

    Notan
    Notan, Nov 17, 2005
  5. Notan

    DavidPostill Guest

    In article <>, on Wed, 16 Nov 2005 19:11:08 -0700, Notan wrote:

    | DavidPostill wrote:

    | > |
    | > | If it's a hard drive password, you're screwed. There are no backdoors.
    | >
    | > Hmmph. Guess you've never heard of google then.
    | >
    | > <http://www.google.com/search?q=hard+drive+password+recovery>
    | >
    | > Third entry is:
    | >
    | > <http://www.hddrecovery.com.au/Hard-drive-password-recovery.htm>
    | >
    | > Perhaps you should do some research next time before posting inaccuracies ...
    |
    | I assumed that the OP didn't want to pay a small fortune for access.

    Please qualify your statement next time then. Something along the lines of
    "There are no backdoors unless you want to pay large amounts of money" would
    do the trick.

    | Have you ever dealt with any of these companies, first hand?

    No. What is the relevance of your question?
    --
    DavidPostill
    DavidPostill, Nov 17, 2005
  6. I have forgotten a password that I set up on my laptop.

    When booting up the computer I get a black screen with the word "password"
    and a prompt _.

    Can anyone help me.
    Jean Guilfoyle, Nov 17, 2005
  7. Notan

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 02:03:38 GMT, DavidPostill <>
    wrote:

    ><http://www.hddrecovery.com.au/Hard-drive-password-recovery.htm>

    Although its cheaper than the previous data recovery services offered
    where you send the drive away, using that involves setting up a
    seperate machine to basically hack the password on the drive.

    Its certainly OK for someone experienced in PC repairs, but for an
    average inept user with a laptop its not really a solution.

    A couple of years ago I got a drive protected with a password, the
    option was to replace it, as the data was all backed up anyway.
    I recently received the 2.5 to 3.5 adaptor so can have a go at
    breaking into it as an exercise, having studied the manual and
    ATA specs carefully. Its a long term project.

    The pay-per-recover model is interesting, but not to me as a
    buyer.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Nov 17, 2005
  8. Notan

    V.B. Guest

    18:24:36 -0700, Notan wrote:

    "password"
    > | > |

    backdoors.

    > | > Hmmph. Guess you've never heard of google then.
    > | >
    > | > <http://www.google.com/search?q=hard+drive+password+recovery>
    > | >
    > | > Third entry is:
    > | >
    > | > <http://www.hddrecovery.com.au/Hard-drive-password-recovery.htm>
    > | >
    > | > Perhaps you should do some research next time before posting

    inaccuracies ...

    > | I assumed that the OP didn't want to pay a small fortune for access.
    >
    > Please qualify your statement next time then. Something along the lines of
    > "There are no backdoors unless you want to pay large amounts of money"

    would
    > do the trick.
    >
    > | Have you ever dealt with any of these companies, first hand?
    >
    > No. What is the relevance of your question?
    > --
    > DavidPostill

    Down, boys!!
    V.B., Nov 17, 2005