    when he tried it on his machine, it showed to be 256 MB.

    How can I get the complete 256 MB?

    Thanks
    Shwetabh, Aug 19, 2006

  2. Shwetabh

    why? Guest

    On 19 Aug 2006 11:18:51 -0700, Shwetabh wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I have an old P III 500 MHz machine with intel 810 mobo. This

    www.google.com , some likely keywords to try

    http://www.google.com/search?q=intel 810 memory configuration

    The model make / model, memory types supported are?

    http://www.memoryx.net/pc6-11198.html

    >motherboard contains 2 RAM slots. Until recently, I used two 64 MB
    >SD-RAM modules and I used to get 128 MBs.
    >I recently decided to increase the RAM and brought a 256MB module. But,
    >on inserting the RAM module, my system detects it as 128 MB RAM. I
    >tries to put it in both the slots but still it shows me 128 MBs. I

    Oh wow an incompatiable module for the type of motherboard you have.

    Also notice your comment - two 64MB , it's a pair.

    >tried to put it in combination with my old 64 MB RAM and I get a total
    >of 192 MBs. I took the module to the vendor from whom I bought it, but

    Ah the old banks / per side / socket issue.

    >when he tried it on his machine, it showed to be 256 MB.

    The type of machine was? Bet you he didn't take it back as it works :)
    , swap it for 2 x 128 or any other help?

    >How can I get the complete 256 MB?

    The drawback of posting from Google, no ISP or country info, so take a
    hint.

    http://www.crucial.com/
    http://www.crucial.com/uk/

    follow the memory selection guide / run the system scanner.
    Once you have the part information / memory specs you should be able to
    look for a good price deal.

    Also see ,
    http://www.orcalogic-kingston.co.uk/

    >Thanks

    Me
    why?, Aug 19, 2006

  3. Shwetabh

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Shwetabh" <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I have an old P III 500 MHz machine with intel 810 mobo. This
    >motherboard contains 2 RAM slots. Until recently, I used two 64 MB
    >SD-RAM modules and I used to get 128 MBs.
    >I recently decided to increase the RAM and brought a 256MB module. But,
    >on inserting the RAM module, my system detects it as 128 MB RAM. I
    >tries to put it in both the slots but still it shows me 128 MBs. I
    >tried to put it in combination with my old 64 MB RAM and I get a total
    >of 192 MBs. I took the module to the vendor from whom I bought it, but
    >when he tried it on his machine, it showed to be 256 MB.
    >
    >How can I get the complete 256 MB?
    >
    >Thanks

    Many motherboards from that era only supported RAM modules of 128 mb
    maximum. Check the documentation for your specific motherboard model
    or post the make, model, and revision number of the motherboard back
    here.

    Also your new 256 mb is likely to be PC133 high density (single sided)
    SDRAM. In many boards designed for PC100 SDRAM these high density
    modules are only recognized as half of their capacity, which is what
    your system is doing. In that circumstance the solution is to replace
    the 256 mb module with either a low density (double sided) PC133
    module or with a PC100 module.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."
    Ron Martell, Aug 19, 2006
  4. Shwetabh

    Shwetabh Guest

    why? wrote:
    > On 19 Aug 2006 11:18:51 -0700, Shwetabh wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >I have an old P III 500 MHz machine with intel 810 mobo. This

    > www.google.com , some likely keywords to try
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=intel 810 memory configuration
    >
    > The model make / model, memory types supported are?
    >
    > http://www.memoryx.net/pc6-11198.html
    >
    > >motherboard contains 2 RAM slots. Until recently, I used two 64 MB
    > >SD-RAM modules and I used to get 128 MBs.
    > >I recently decided to increase the RAM and brought a 256MB module. But,
    > >on inserting the RAM module, my system detects it as 128 MB RAM. I
    > >tries to put it in both the slots but still it shows me 128 MBs. I

    > Oh wow an incompatiable module for the type of motherboard you have.
    >
    > Also notice your comment - two 64MB , it's a pair.
    >
    > >tried to put it in combination with my old 64 MB RAM and I get a total
    > >of 192 MBs. I took the module to the vendor from whom I bought it, but

    > Ah the old banks / per side / socket issue.
    >
    > >when he tried it on his machine, it showed to be 256 MB.

    > The type of machine was? Bet you he didn't take it back as it works :)
    > , swap it for 2 x 128 or any other help?
    >
    > >How can I get the complete 256 MB?

    > The drawback of posting from Google, no ISP or country info, so take a
    > hint.
    >
    > http://www.crucial.com/
    > http://www.crucial.com/uk/
    >
    > follow the memory selection guide / run the system scanner.
    > Once you have the part information / memory specs you should be able to
    > look for a good price deal.
    >
    > Also see ,
    > http://www.orcalogic-kingston.co.uk/
    >
    > >Thanks

    > Me

    Hi,
    Thanks for the quick reply. I had earlier bought a 256 MB PC 133 RAM
    Module and on inserting it in the RAM slot, it was detected by the
    system as 256 MB. But since it was causing system crashes, I got it
    replaced with the current module which is showing 128 MB. My mobo model
    number is i810-NS363 if it helps. What should I do to get the full RAM?
    Do u think it would be helpful to get another 256 MB module and put
    them in pair to get 256+256?

    Thanks
    Shwetabh, Aug 20, 2006
  5. Shwetabh

    Plato Guest

    Shwetabh wrote:

    > I have an old P III 500 MHz machine with intel 810 mobo. This
    > motherboard contains 2 RAM slots. Until recently, I used two 64 MB
    > SD-RAM modules and I used to get 128 MBs.
    > I recently decided to increase the RAM and brought a 256MB module. But,
    > on inserting the RAM module, my system detects it as 128 MB RAM. I

    Your motherboard may only support 128 sticks/slot. Check your
    motherboard specs.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Aug 20, 2006
  6. Shwetabh

    why? Guest

    On 19 Aug 2006 21:00:59 -0700, Shwetabh wrote:

    >why? wrote:
    >> On 19 Aug 2006 11:18:51 -0700, Shwetabh wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hi,
    >> >I have an old P III 500 MHz machine with intel 810 mobo. This

    <snip>

    >> >motherboard contains 2 RAM slots. Until recently, I used two 64 MB
    >> >SD-RAM modules and I used to get 128 MBs.
    >> >I recently decided to increase the RAM and brought a 256MB module. But,
    >> >on inserting the RAM module, my system detects it as 128 MB RAM. I
    >> >tries to put it in both the slots but still it shows me 128 MBs. I

    <snip>

    >> Ah the old banks / per side / socket issue.

    >> >when he tried it on his machine, it showed to be 256 MB.

    >> The type of machine was? Bet you he didn't take it back as it works :)
    >> , swap it for 2 x 128 or any other help?

    <snip>

    >> http://www.crucial.com/
    >> http://www.crucial.com/uk/

    <snip>

    >> >Thanks

    >> Me

    Bottom posting with no snipping is worse when basic information needed
    the 1st time is now provided :)

    >Hi,
    >Thanks for the quick reply. I had earlier bought a 256 MB PC 133 RAM
    >Module and on inserting it in the RAM slot, it was detected by the
    >system as 256 MB. But since it was causing system crashes, I got it

    So that was on it's own or with 1 of the 64MB modules?

    >replaced with the current module which is showing 128 MB. My mobo model
    >number is i810-NS363 if it helps. What should I do to get the full RAM?

    It may if it was the only time that chipset is used, but I can't see any
    other identifying marks on the mobo -

    SG-810BAT3 11/15/2000-i810-NS363-6A69MV39C-00 i810 ICW W195BH
    clockgen

    SG-810MATX3 11/15/2000-i810-NS363-6A69MV39C-00 i810 4MB ICW W195BH
    clockgen

    SG-810MATX3 09/01/2001-i810-NS363-6A69MV3FC-00 i810 2MB ICW W195BH
    clockgen

    SG-810AD 11/15/2000-i810-NS363-6A69MV39C-00 i810 ICW W195BH
    clockgen

    So maybe it's a Super Grace mobo?

    http://www.motherboard.cz/mb/sg/SG-810BAT3.htm

    Now there's a thing, what do I suggest you do...... maybe try the
    Crucial Memory scanner utility mentioned earlier.

    >Do u think it would be helpful to get another 256 MB module and put
    >them in pair to get 256+256?

    Not until -

    you try a memory scanner / Crucial / Kingston memory selection giudes.

    check the mobo manual.

    >Thanks

    Me
    why?, Aug 20, 2006
  7. Shwetabh

    Jerry Attic Guest

    Ron Martell <> said in

    > "Shwetabh" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>I have an old P III 500 MHz machine with intel 810 mobo. This
    >>motherboard contains 2 RAM slots. Until recently, I used two 64 MB
    >>SD-RAM modules and I used to get 128 MBs.
    >>I recently decided to increase the RAM and brought a 256MB module. But,
    >>on inserting the RAM module, my system detects it as 128 MB RAM. I
    >>tries to put it in both the slots but still it shows me 128 MBs. I
    >>tried to put it in combination with my old 64 MB RAM and I get a total
    >>of 192 MBs. I took the module to the vendor from whom I bought it, but
    >>when he tried it on his machine, it showed to be 256 MB.
    >>
    >>How can I get the complete 256 MB?
    >>
    >>Thanks

    > Many motherboards from that era only supported RAM modules of 128 mb
    > maximum. Check the documentation for your specific motherboard model
    > or post the make, model, and revision number of the motherboard back
    > here.
    >
    > Also your new 256 mb is likely to be PC133 high density (single sided)
    > SDRAM. In many boards designed for PC100 SDRAM these high density
    > modules are only recognized as half of their capacity, which is what
    > your system is doing. In that circumstance the solution is to replace
    > the 256 mb module with either a low density (double sided) PC133
    > module or with a PC100 module.

    Or maybe, just maybe, that old P III only recognizes low desnity PC 133
    RAM. The high density stuff will oinly show up as 128 megs and is *not*
    backward compatible with PC100.

    Neener

    Jerry
    Jerry Attic, Aug 21, 2006
  8. Shwetabh

    Shwetabh Guest

    I checked with the vendor who says that my motherboard supports Double
    Density RAMs. It is being detected as 256 MBs on Everest, but not by
    the system. Infact, the system has stopped detecting the RAM completely
    now :( I am at a loss about what I should do about it.
    Earlier when I had bought the PC, there was a single PC100 64 MB RAM
    module.
    Later I got myself another 64 MB RAM module, this time a PC133. They
    worked well for quite a long time and even do so today, but I decided
    to increase the RAM to 256+64=320 MB. BTW, both the 64 MB RAMs are
    DIMM.
    Yesterday, the PC stopped detecting the 256 MB module altogether. I
    tried to put it in both slots but it still woouldnt be detected.
    Finally I had to plug in the old trusted 64+64 MB modules.
    Please let me know of the technical info needed to resolve this problem
    and I shall try my best to get it.

    Regards

    Shwetabh, Aug 21, 2006
  9. Shwetabh

    Shwetabh Guest

    I checked the specs... it supports 256 MB sticks/slot.

    Shwetabh, Aug 21, 2006
  10. Shwetabh

    Shwetabh Guest

    why? wrote:
    > On 19 Aug 2006 11:18:51 -0700, Shwetabh wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >I have an old P III 500 MHz machine with intel 810 mobo. This

    > www.google.com , some likely keywords to try
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?q=intel 810 memory configuration
    >
    > The model make / model, memory types supported are?
    >
    > http://www.memoryx.net/pc6-11198.html
    >
    > >motherboard contains 2 RAM slots. Until recently, I used two 64 MB
    > >SD-RAM modules and I used to get 128 MBs.
    > >I recently decided to increase the RAM and brought a 256MB module. But,
    > >on inserting the RAM module, my system detects it as 128 MB RAM. I
    > >tries to put it in both the slots but still it shows me 128 MBs. I

    > Oh wow an incompatiable module for the type of motherboard you have.
    >
    > Also notice your comment - two 64MB , it's a pair.

    Well, it's a pair now but when I bought it 6 years back, it had a
    single PC 100 64 MB stick.

    > >tried to put it in combination with my old 64 MB RAM and I get a total
    > >of 192 MBs. I took the module to the vendor from whom I bought it, but

    > Ah the old banks / per side / socket issue.
    >
    > >when he tried it on his machine, it showed to be 256 MB.

    > The type of machine was? Bet you he didn't take it back as it works :)
    > , swap it for 2 x 128 or any other help?

    His machine was a pretty banged up PIII but his mobo had 3 RAM slots.
    Also, the RAM I bought was a replacement for a defective 256 MB module
    which was detected properly by the system as 256 MB. So I doubt that I
    should put 2 x 128 MB for 256 MB.

    Shwetabh, Aug 21, 2006