  1. Andy Petro

    Andy Petro Guest

    Anybody tried System Mechanic. Should I get it ?
    Andy Petro, Jun 12, 2013

  2. Andy Petro

    Paul Guest

    Andy Petro wrote:

    > Anybody tried System Mechanic. Should I get it ?

    What is attractive about the feature set ?

    You already have half of that installed on your system now.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Mechanic

    The trick to products like this, is finding
    reviews on the web (by real customers), that
    are not sponsored by the company writing the software.
    If the software is trashing computers, you'll figure
    it out soon enough.

    For example here, look through the customer reviews,
    avoid all the $0.50 reviews (reviews filed by paid
    reviewers), find a review where the customer is
    pissed off. Average customer rating here is 3 of 5 stars.

    http://download.cnet.com/System-Mechanic-Free/3000-18512_4-10030183.html

    I wouldn't know anything about a product like this,
    because I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. If the
    company cannot explain, in plain English, what it is
    actually doing for me, I'm not installing it.

    *******

    Another point about stuff like this. Product "suites" are
    hardly ever a good idea.

    If you need a Registry Cleaner, buy just a Registry Cleaner.
    If you need a Defragmenter, buy just a Defragmenter.
    If you need a Firewall, just buy a Firewall tool.
    If you need SpyWare Protection, get a product that gives you just that.
    If you need AntiVirus Protection, buy an AV product (not a suite)

    By doing it that way, one "suite" will not interact with
    another "suite" in unexpected ways.

    The trend of these companies, is to sell product
    suites, like pumping water into a steak to make
    it weigh more, so you pay more for it. And it's up
    to you to battle this trend, with focused purchases
    of just the tool you need.

    This is one reason I have Imgburn on my machine, to
    burn a CD or DVD, whereas I would not think of buying
    a current version of Nero (100MB+ software suite). It's
    obscene how much junk you get from suites.

    If the product advertising won't tell you want
    parts of your computer it will be messing with,
    you don't want it on your computer. And if it does
    tell you, and gives details, there is a good chance
    you can find a standalone product that does the
    same thing.

    Paul
    Paul, Jun 12, 2013