    After installing System Mechanic Professional my computer slowed down so
    much that I had to delete it. Win xp.pro
    Anyone else have this problem ?

    A Petro, Jun 11, 2011

  2. A Petro snuck on to your hard drive to scribble:
    > After installing System Mechanic Professional my computer slowed down so
    > much that I had to delete it. Win xp.pro
    > Anyone else have this problem ?

    You kind of left out what System Mechanic was, but with minimal
    guessing and searching, I see it is a System Optimization program.

    As with most Optimizers, the program settings directly affect your
    computer's performance. A tweak in the wrong direction can slow your
    system down.

    Supposedly with your program you can restore your computer to the way
    it was under the SafetyNet tab using an Undo function.

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "What do you mean?" he said. "Do you wish me a good morning, or mean
    that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel
    good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?"
    -Gandalf, after Bilbo Baggins says "Good Morning"

    James D Andrews, Jun 11, 2011

  3. A Petro

    Paul Guest

    A Petro wrote:
    > After installing System Mechanic Professional my computer slowed down so
    > much that I had to delete it. Win xp.pro
    > Anyone else have this problem ?

    The very first question would be, why did you need that program ?

    The computer is actually pretty good at organizing itself.

    *******

    If you have a specific technical issue, it should be addressed as such,
    rather than "applying a bandaid". If you use bandaid programs, your
    computer could end up more screwed up than before, and then you'll
    need to reinstall the OS.

    For example, if you told me your hard drive seemed slow to load
    programs, I'd point you at this. This is a "measurement" program
    and not a bandaid. The first step to any problem, is gathering evidence.

    http://www.hdtune.com/files/hdtune_255.exe

    You can upload a screenshot of the benchmark results to a site like this.

    http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/6982/hdtunebenchmark500gbst3.png

    This is an older drive, and looks healthy. The slope to the
    curve, is caused by the diameter of the magnetic material, as the
    head moves from an outer to an inner track. The older drives
    had slightly slower transfer performance

    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/6494/hdtunebenchmarkst380011.png

    When you see a "flat line" in one of those graphs, it either means
    the hard drive is in PIO mode, the drive could be on a USB bus,
    or the drive type could be SSD (which doesn't rotate).

    Another measurement tool is Task Manager. It shows things
    using CPU cycles. If a program "goes crazy", then you may be
    able to tell which program is causing the problem. You can
    reach Task Manager by using control-alt-delete, or by right
    clicking the task bar.

    You can get a separate program to display that info as well, such
    as Process Explorer. And you can take a screenshot of what you see,
    and post a link to it later, to get help.

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

    *******

    I would never load System Mechanic. I would never use a
    Registry Cleaner. If I was that desperate for a high
    performing system, I would reinstall the OS and all programs
    again. A clean start, can make a big difference.

    When someone complains their computer is slow, the first
    question we ask is "what aspect of the computer operation is
    slow". We need the details, to make any progress. Sometimes,
    the problem can be purely hardware related, like a hard drive
    that is going bad, in which case, no amount of bandaids would
    make any difference.

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 11, 2011
  4. A Petro

    Kele Guest

    I've used System Mechanic. I never have it start with Windows or run
    anything automatically, however. Only my antivirus prog gets to run all the
    time... a necessary evil.

    Kele, Jun 12, 2011
  5. A Petro

    Mikethekiwi Guest

    I've used System Mechanic as well, I didn't like it and won't use it now.

    Like Kele, I also have ruthlessly trimmed and configured my software and have the minimum number of programs start with Windows.

    Mikethekiwi

    Mikethekiwi, Jun 13, 2011