System IRQ's

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jerry G., Jul 31, 2004.

  1. Jerry G.

    Jerry G. Guest

    I am looking at my system in both system information, and in the computer
    properties.

    I cannot see the following IRQ's: 3, 5, 7, 11, and 17. I am very
    curious to know why Windows did not assign them, and doubled up others to be
    shared?

    The second thing is that I cannot seem to figure out what USB device is on
    what USB Universal Host Controller. Each controller has a set of ports in
    association with it. I found the Host Controller addresses.

    What I want to do in the end, is to determine exactly which USB device is in
    which port when viewing it in the System Hardware Properties.

    It turns out that one of the USB Host Controllers is being shared in IRQ
    with the ATA hard drive. Another Host Controller is being shared with a
    modem. There is another one that is being shared with the video display.

    I have an HP 4670 Scanner, and it is giving loss of communications problems
    because of the IRQ sharing. I found this out after doing a lot of searching.
    To get around that, I used the USB Host Controller that in shared with the
    least demand. This was the one that is shared with the modem. The scanner
    was now, only failing to communicate once in a while.

    To resolve the issue, I added an active USB hub to act as a type of buffer.
    It actually is slowing down the USB communications. With this approach, the
    scanner seems to be working for now. I tried it many times over the coarse
    of the evening, and it has not failed yet.

    What I am looking for, is if someone would have an explanation for this???

    --

    Jerry G.
    ==========================

    Jerry G., Jul 31, 2004

  2. Jerry G.

    Linda Guest

    15 is the highest IRQ number.

    --
    Hmmm, they've got internet on computers now. - Homer Simpson

    Linda, Jul 31, 2004

  3. Jerry G.

    Grinder Guest

    Jerry G. wrote:
    > I am looking at my system in both system information, and in the computer
    > properties.
    >
    > I cannot see the following IRQ's: 3, 5, 7, 11, and 17. I am very
    > curious to know why Windows did not assign them, and doubled up others to be
    > shared?
    >
    > The second thing is that I cannot seem to figure out what USB device is on
    > what USB Universal Host Controller. Each controller has a set of ports in
    > association with it. I found the Host Controller addresses.
    >
    > What I want to do in the end, is to determine exactly which USB device is in
    > which port when viewing it in the System Hardware Properties.
    >
    > It turns out that one of the USB Host Controllers is being shared in IRQ
    > with the ATA hard drive. Another Host Controller is being shared with a
    > modem. There is another one that is being shared with the video display.
    >
    > I have an HP 4670 Scanner, and it is giving loss of communications problems
    > because of the IRQ sharing. I found this out after doing a lot of searching.
    > To get around that, I used the USB Host Controller that in shared with the
    > least demand. This was the one that is shared with the modem. The scanner
    > was now, only failing to communicate once in a while.
    >
    > To resolve the issue, I added an active USB hub to act as a type of buffer.
    > It actually is slowing down the USB communications. With this approach, the
    > scanner seems to be working for now. I tried it many times over the coarse
    > of the evening, and it has not failed yet.
    >
    > What I am looking for, is if someone would have an explanation for this???

    I won't pretend that I have a comprehensive view of this either. Here
    is some dated information, however, for what it's worth:

    http://members.bellatlantic.net/~mrscary/devenum.htm

    Grinder, Jul 31, 2004
  4. Jerry G.

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Linda" <1> wrote in news:s1GOc.24505$K53.7584@news-
    server.bigpond.net.au:

    > 15 is the highest IRQ number.

    No, Windows 2000/XP can assign virtual IRQs. Example from the computer I'm
    in front of:

    IRQ 18 - ATI Capture Card
    IRQ 19 - GF4 Ti4400
    IRQ 20 - 2 10/100 NICs (a 3com and an nVidia), 2 nVidia audio devices, a
    firewire controller, 2 USB controllers, and the PCI to USB controller.

    There are only 15 /physical/ IRQs

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    DeMoN LaG, Jul 31, 2004
  5. Linda wrote:
    > 15 is the highest IRQ number.

    BWAHAHAHAHAAH!!! You fuckwitted, top-posting slut. I have IRQ's up to 24.

    Xolak the gladiatorial, Jul 31, 2004
  6. Jerry G.

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Xolak the gladiatorial wrote:
    > Linda wrote:
    >> 15 is the highest IRQ number.

    > BWAHAHAHAHAAH!!! You fuckwitted, top-posting slut. I have IRQ's up to
    > 24.

    No, you've got to listen properly to the nice man, that's *IQ*, not IRQ.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 31, 2004
  7. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Xolak the gladiatorial wrote:
    >> Linda wrote:
    >>> 15 is the highest IRQ number.

    >> BWAHAHAHAHAAH!!! You fuckwitted, top-posting slut. I have IRQ's up to
    >> 24.

    > No, you've got to listen properly to the nice man, that's *IQ*, not
    > IRQ.

    You know, that lame was just so fucking lame and just so fucking obvious I
    concluded that there would not be a fuckwit on the entire planet who would
    go within a fucking mile of it, yet there you are.

    Wirg the Giblet-impairer, Jul 31, 2004
  8. Jerry G.

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Wirg the Giblet-impairer wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Xolak the gladiatorial wrote:
    >>>
    >>> BWAHAHAHAHAAH!!! You fuckwitted, top-posting slut. I have IRQ's up
    >>> 24.

    >> No, you've got to listen properly to the nice man, that's *IQ*, not
    >> IRQ.

    > You know, that lame was just so fucking lame and just so fucking
    > obvious I concluded that there would not be a fuckwit on the entire
    > planet who would go within a fucking mile of it, yet there you are.

    LOL. Shows just how right your conclusions can be.

    BTW, I'm sure you missed at least two opportunities to fit 'fucking' in that
    post, maybe more.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 31, 2004
  9. ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Wirg the Giblet-impairer wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:

    >>> No, you've got to listen properly to the nice man, that's *IQ*, not
    >>> IRQ.

    >> You know, that lame was just so fucking lame and just so fucking
    >> obvious I concluded that there would not be a fuckwit on the entire
    >> planet who would go within a fucking mile of it, yet there you are.

    > LOL. Shows just how right your conclusions can be.

    It more reflects your lameness.

    Darryl Grandspear-Socklecheck, Jul 31, 2004
  10. Jerry G.

    Chaos Master Guest

    Jerry G. caused an illegal operation in module
    <cef7lp$bev$> at and will be closed:
    > I am looking at my system in both system information, and in the computer
    > properties.
    >
    > I cannot see the following IRQ's: 3, 5, 7, 11, and 17. I am very
    > curious to know why Windows did not assign them, and doubled up others to be
    > shared?

    Same problem here... my modem is sharing IRQ with nothing (it seems) but it
    still says the IRQ is shared!

    > To resolve the issue, I added an active USB hub to act as a type of buffer.
    > It actually is slowing down the USB communications. With this approach, the
    > scanner seems to be working for now. I tried it many times over the coarse
    > of the evening, and it has not failed yet.
    >
    > What I am looking for, is if someone would have an explanation for this???

    Check the BIOS to see if the IRQ setup is configured to be automatical, and if
    there's 'Assign IRQ for VGA' enabled. I've had similar problems with my modem
    (slow connection, blue screen)

    []s
    --
    Chaos MasterĀ®, posting from Brazil. REPLY TO GROUP!
    MSN: http://marreka.no-ip.com

    Chaos Master, Jul 31, 2004
  11. Jerry G.

    Michael-NC Guest

    This pertains more to win98 but may provide some help.

    There are 16 IRQs (15 usable) in a computer system. Here is a typical
    assignment of these IRQs:

    IRQ 0 System- System Timer
    IRQ 1 System- Keyboard
    IRQ 2 System- Cascadeable PIC (programmable interrupt controller), controls
    IRQ 8-15
    IRQ 3 System- Serial Port (COM 2 and COM4)
    IRQ 4 System - Serial Port (COM 1 and COM3)
    IRQ 5 Available- General Adapter Use
    IRQ 6 System- Diskette Controller
    IRQ 7 System- Printer 1
    IRQ 8 System- CMOS Real-time clock
    IRQ 9 Available- General Adapter Use
    IRQ 10 Available- General Adapter Use
    IRQ 11 Available- General Adapter Use
    IRQ 12 System- Mouse Port
    IRQ 13 System- Math Co-processor (even though this is built into the CPU, it
    still uses an IRQ)
    IRQ 14 System- Hard Disk Controller
    IRQ 15 Available- General Adapter Use

    As you can see, there are five (5) IRQs that are not assigned by the system
    design. Of these, one usually goes to the graphics card, one to the USB
    ports, and one to the modem. That leaves two (2) available IRQs for
    everything else. With care (and use of the proper cards), this is normally
    sufficient.

    First:
    Internal Modem (PCI)
    Second:
    Sound Card (PCI or ISA)
    Third:
    Network Card, a.k.a. NIC (PCI or ISA)
    Fourth:
    DVD Devices requiring Dxr3 Decoder Board (PCI)
    Note: Some video decoder boards require two (2) IRQs for complete
    functionality. Check with your video decoder card manufacturer for video
    decoder support and requirements.
    Fifth:
    SCSI Adapter (PCI) (This assumes that the system does not have a SCSI hard
    drive.)
    Sixth:
    Any others.

    Michael-NC, Jul 31, 2004
  12. Jerry G.

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Darryl Grandspear-Socklecheck wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Wirg the Giblet-impairer wrote:

    >>> You know, that lame was just so fucking lame and just so fucking
    >>> obvious I concluded that there would not be a fuckwit on the entire
    >>> planet who would go within a fucking mile of it, yet there you are.

    >> LOL. Shows just how right your conclusions can be.

    > It more reflects your lameness.

    Is that all you've got?

    I've had my fun with you, you can leave now. Don't dribble too much and
    don't let the door hit your well-used arse on the way out.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jul 31, 2004
  13. ~misfit~ wrote:
    | Darryl Grandspear-Socklecheck wrote:
    || ~misfit~ wrote:
    ||| LOL. Shows just how right your conclusions can be.
    || It more reflects your lameness.
    |
    | Is that all you've got?
    |
    | I've had my fun with you, you can leave now. Don't dribble too much
    | and don't let the door hit your well-used arse on the way out.

    Oh, I say!

    is but a dream within a dream.

    Manning Duckson-Sonderkere, Aug 1, 2004
  14. Howdy!

    "Xolak the gladiatorial" <>
    wrote in message
    > Linda wrote:
    > > 15 is the highest IRQ number.

    > BWAHAHAHAHAAH!!! You fuckwitted, top-posting slut. I have IRQ's up to 24.

    One abbreviation for you - APIC .

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Aug 1, 2004

    **** off, Walph.

    Ralph Wade Phillips, the fucktard, Aug 1, 2004
  16. ~misfit~ wrote:

    > I've had my fun with you

    Sub-text: "I won't reply anymore therefore I win."

    ~misfit~, the malicious, surnaming gonad, Aug 1, 2004
  17. Jerry G.

    relic Guest

    >> Linda wrote:
    >>> 15 is the highest IRQ number.

    >> BWAHAHAHAHAAH!!! You fuckwitted, top-posting slut. I have IRQ's up
    >> to 24.
    >>

    > One abbreviation for you - APIC .

    APIC? *APIC* ??

    Advanced Configuration and Power Interface
    <shakes head>
    --
    - relic -
    Don't take life too seriously, You won't get out alive.

    relic, Aug 1, 2004
  18. Howdy!

    > >> BWAHAHAHAHAAH!!! You fuckwitted, top-posting slut. I have IRQ's up
    > >> to 24.
    > >>

    > > One abbreviation for you - APIC .

    > APIC? *APIC* ??
    >
    > Advanced Configuration and Power Interface
    > <shakes head>

    Advanced Programmable Interface Controller. Yes, on P4/Athlon
    boards there are typically 24 hardware interrupts if you turn APIC on.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Aug 1, 2004
  19. Jerry G.

    relic Guest

    >>> One abbreviation for you - APIC .

    >> APIC? *APIC* ??
    >>
    >> Advanced Configuration and Power Interface
    >> <shakes head>

    > Advanced Programmable Interface Controller. Yes, on P4/Athlon
    > boards there are typically 24 hardware interrupts if you turn APIC on.
    >
    > RwP

    Go ogle. It's ACPI.

    relic, Aug 1, 2004
  20. Jerry G.

    JT Guest

    On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 03:30:46 GMT, "relic" <> wrote:

    >Ralph Wade Phillips wrote:
    >> Howdy!
    >>
    >> "Xolak the gladiatorial"
    >> <> wrote in message

    >>> BWAHAHAHAHAAH!!! You fuckwitted, top-posting slut. I have IRQ's up
    >>> to 24.
    >>>

    >> One abbreviation for you - APIC .

    >APIC? *APIC* ??
    >
    >Advanced Configuration and Power Interface
    ><shakes head>

    APIC is not the same as ACPI. Advanced Programmable Interupt Controller.
    Was added when PCI was added. Part of why PCI interupts can be shared.

    JT

    JT, Aug 1, 2004