system info?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by anOLDun, May 19, 2005.

  1. anOLDun

    anOLDun Guest

    Lo All

    This is kinda related to my previous post regarding "out of memory"

    O/s = WinME

    Haven't had the "out of memory" message other that one time yesterday.

    However..Just now i received another message...." system dangerously low in
    resource...."

    Checked my system info which is:-

    *Total physical memory = 95.44MB
    *Available physical memory = 236.00KB
    *Total Virtual memory = 2.00GB
    *Available Virtual memory = 1.81GB

    *Processor = AMD Duron(tm) Processor AuthenticAMD ~1312Mhz

    Could someone please explain what the above info is telling me and also if i
    have enough of whatever it is i am suppossed to have enough of to prevent
    the "system dangerously low in resource" message appearing again.

    Many thanks

    anOLDun, May 19, 2005

  2. anOLDun

    anOLDun Guest

    Just a thought.........

    Could i have a rogue programme running, hidden from view, that is using my
    system resource ???????????

    If that is possible..how do i track it down?

    Cheers

    anOLDun, May 19, 2005

  3. anOLDun

    °Mike° Guest

    In <>,
    anOLDun took 29 lines to utter:

    >Lo All
    >
    >This is kinda related to my previous post regarding "out of memory"
    >
    >O/s = WinME
    >
    >Haven't had the "out of memory" message other that one time yesterday.
    >
    >However..Just now i received another message...." system dangerously low in
    >resource...."

    <snip>

    >Could someone please explain what the above info is telling me and also if i
    >have enough of whatever it is i am suppossed to have enough of to prevent
    >the "system dangerously low in resource" message appearing again.
    >
    >Many thanks

    It would help others if you gave more information in your posts,
    like what software you have running when this error appears.

    You receive an "System is dangerously low on resources" error
    message in Word
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307814

    System Resources Explained
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca/tips.htm#resources

    System Resources FAQ
    http://aumha.org/win4/a/resource.htm

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, May 19, 2005
  4. anOLDun

    Mike Easter Guest

    anOLDun wrote:
    > O/s = WinME

    > However..Just now i received another message...." system dangerously
    > low in resource...."

    Win9x including ME only have 64k of resource memory. That's 64 *k* --
    not very much.

    > Checked my system info which is:-

    ram & virtual memory.

    > Could someone please explain what the above info is telling me and
    > also if i have enough of whatever it is i am suppossed to have enough
    > of to prevent the "system dangerously low in resource" message
    > appearing again.

    Something/s using up your resource memory.

    Here's an old discussion of the subject from Al Fasoldt
    http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/tec031200.html Why Windows
    misbehaves, Part 1: It runs out of one kind of memory at 64 kilobytes

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, May 19, 2005
  5. anOLDun

    anOLDun Guest

    LO Mike

    Thanks for reply........

    Trouble is i don't know what info is or isn't needed given a particular
    "problem".
    My first thought is always " now what the hell did i do/press"
    My second thought is "the "programme" i was just using went squiffy.

    From your comments..seems that ANY running programme - or combinations of
    programmes - may be thye cause.........aaaaagggggghhhhhhhhhh

    I think you'll ( as will everyone else here) be pleased to know i am going
    back to the "chalk and slate".....the worse that can happen is my stick of
    chalk gets to small to hold.

    Chow

    I try real hard to get along with technology but never seem to quite make it
    :-((((((((((9

    anOLDun, May 19, 2005
  6. anOLDun wrote:
    > Lo All

    > This is kinda related to my previous post regarding "out of memory"

    > O/s = WinME

    > Haven't had the "out of memory" message other that one time yesterday.

    > However..Just now i received another message...." system dangerously low in
    > resource...."

    System resources isn't a size-of-RAM issue.

    > Checked my system info which is:-

    > *Total physical memory = 95.44MB
    > *Available physical memory = 236.00KB
    > *Total Virtual memory = 2.00GB
    > *Available Virtual memory = 1.81GB

    See above.

    Win 9x sets aside 64K for...I dunno...keeping track of some kind of Win
    stuff. I don't know what. But that's not a RAM/virtualRAM issue, it's
    a resources issue, just like the error message says. I don't know of a
    way to free up Win resources other than the old Standard Lame Win Fix
    of rebooting. That's a design flaw.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, May 19, 2005
  7. anOLDun

    °Mike° Guest

    In <428cfe8d$>,
    anOLDun took 68 lines to utter:

    >LO Mike
    >
    >Thanks for reply........
    >
    >Trouble is i don't know what info is or isn't needed given a particular
    >"problem".

    Be precise (read the WHOLE page).
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#beprecise

    >My first thought is always " now what the hell did i do/press"

    That's natural.

    >My second thought is "the "programme" i was just using went squiffy.

    Precisely that...the programme (sic) went squiffy. YOU know what
    program, but nobody else does. Don't you think that's important?

    >From your comments..seems that ANY running programme - or combinations of
    >programmes - may be thye cause.........aaaaagggggghhhhhhhhhh

    Not necessarily, but if in doubt, name them all.

    >I think you'll ( as will everyone else here) be pleased to know i am going
    >back to the "chalk and slate".....the worse that can happen is my stick of
    >chalk gets to small to hold.
    >
    >Chow

    >I try real hard to get along with technology but never seem to quite make it
    >:-((((((((((9

    You give up too easily -- don't let it scare you.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, May 19, 2005
  8. anOLDun

    El Duderino Guest

    *Total physical memory = 95.44MB
    > *Available physical memory = 236.00KB
    > *Total Virtual memory = 2.00GB
    > *Available Virtual memory = 1.81GB

    You don't seem to have enough memory left to run the program. Try using
    ctr-alt-delete and shutting the running processes off one by one until you
    find out which one is using the memory. Then find out what it is ( try
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php ) and work out what you can
    safely stop running.
    NOTE: you must leave 'explorer' running.

    --
    'tis clean me thinks; Messr's Kaspersky & AVG sayeth such

    El Duderino, May 20, 2005
  9. El Duderino wrote:

    > *Total physical memory = 95.44MB
    >> *Available physical memory = 236.00KB
    >> *Total Virtual memory = 2.00GB
    >> *Available Virtual memory = 1.81GB

    > You don't seem to have enough memory left to run the program. Try using

    I have plenty of memory.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, May 20, 2005
  10. anOLDun

    Liz Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote
    > El Duderino wrote:
    >
    > > *Total physical memory = 95.44MB
    > >> *Available physical memory = 236.00KB
    > >> *Total Virtual memory = 2.00GB
    > >> *Available Virtual memory = 1.81GB

    > > You don't seem to have enough memory left to run the program. Try using

    > I have plenty of memory.

    Today will be a memory, too.

    Liz, May 20, 2005