    CP usage @ 4%

    I am running win XP Pro

    any suggestions to correct this delay would be most helpful
    belto, Dec 2, 2008

  2. belto

    PCLicious

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2008
    Messages:
    5
    A freeware program called "Killprocess" by "Orange lamp software"can show you which programs are taking up the most memory and be terminated, also you can set it to auto kill certain programs that are loaded in the background that you will not use. Good luck.
    PCLicious, Dec 2, 2008

  3. belto

    Buffalo Guest

    belto wrote:
    > I am having problems when changing applications / windows.
    > My system just sticks for ages
    > In Task Manager it shows a system idle process of 98%
    > CP usage @ 4%
    >
    > I am running win XP Pro
    >
    > any suggestions to correct this delay would be most helpful

    Try shutting down completely for several minutes and reboot.
    Buffalo, Dec 2, 2008
  4. belto wrote:

    > I am having problems when changing applications / windows.
    > My system just sticks for ages
    > In Task Manager it shows a system idle process of 98%
    > CP usage @ 4%
    >
    > I am running win XP Pro
    >
    > any suggestions to correct this delay would be most helpful

    "sticks" ... does that mean it appears to do nothing, but the mouse still
    moveable, or is the mousepointer dead as well?
    In the first case, the system may be waiting for timeouts.
    Reason can be a program/extension called upon one of your actions (maybe
    viewing files in explorer or even refreshing the desktop) which doesn't
    react (maybe improperly uninstalled), a network drive in your path which
    isn't available, or huge files on your desktop with a on-access
    virusscanner struggling to scan them every so often when they are
    accessed/refreshed/icon gets extracted.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Dec 2, 2008
  5. belto

    Cork Soaker Guest

    wisdomkiller & pain wrote:
    > belto wrote:
    >
    >> I am having problems when changing applications / windows.
    >> My system just sticks for ages
    >> In Task Manager it shows a system idle process of 98%
    >> CP usage @ 4%
    >>
    >> I am running win XP Pro
    >>
    >> any suggestions to correct this delay would be most helpful

    > "sticks" ... does that mean it appears to do nothing, but the mouse still
    > moveable, or is the mousepointer dead as well?
    > In the first case, the system may be waiting for timeouts.
    > Reason can be a program/extension called upon one of your actions (maybe
    > viewing files in explorer or even refreshing the desktop) which doesn't
    > react (maybe improperly uninstalled), a network drive in your path which
    > isn't available, or huge files on your desktop with a on-access
    > virusscanner struggling to scan them every so often when they are
    > accessed/refreshed/icon gets extracted.

    That's one of the craziest things I've ever read.
    Cork Soaker, Dec 2, 2008
  6. belto

    Another Guest

    Buffalo wrote:
    > belto wrote:
    >> I am having problems when changing applications / windows.
    >> My system just sticks for ages
    >> In Task Manager it shows a system idle process of 98%
    >> CP usage @ 4%
    >>
    >> I am running win XP Pro
    >>
    >> any suggestions to correct this delay would be most helpful

    > Was this slowdown sudden? If so, it's possible that your cpu is overheating
    > and therefore running very slow to preserve itself.
    > This can be caused by a clogged cpu heatsink and / or cpu fan (or cpu fan
    > died:easy to replace,normally).
    > You should visually inspect the above items. If you can't then:
    > A free program called MotherBoardMonitor can give you the cpu temp (other
    > free programs may do it also) .
    >
    > Other things to try are:
    > Run your disk cleanup program.
    > Download,install and run the free program called CCleaner (crapcleaner) if
    > you wish. (Removes a lot of junk and temp files).
    > I would NOT recommend you to run its registry Cleaner program, unless you
    > are really knowledgeable about the Registry.
    > Dl, install, update and run the free program called MBAM (MalwareBytes
    > Anti-Malware).
    > Buffalo

    Where is K-Man when you need him to give a thoughtful reply to this post.
    Another, Dec 3, 2008
  7. belto

    Buffalo Guest

    Another wrote:
    > Where is K-Man when you need him to give a thoughtful reply to this
    > post.

    You are probably the coward K-man your self.
    Buffalo, Dec 4, 2008
  8. belto

    Another Guest

    Buffalo wrote:
    > Another wrote:
    >> Where is K-Man when you need him to give a thoughtful reply to this
    >> post.

    > You are probably the coward K-man your self.

    Wrong again. Check the headers.
    Another, Dec 4, 2008
  9. belto

    Buffalo Guest

    Another wrote:
    > Buffalo wrote:
    >> Another wrote:
    >>> Where is K-Man when you need him to give a thoughtful reply to this
    >>> post.

    >> You are probably the coward K-man your self.
    >>

    > Wrong again. Check the headers.

    Header? What's a header? Is that like getting head or foot or ?
    Buffalo, Dec 4, 2008
  10. belto

    Another Guest

    Buffalo wrote:
    > Another wrote:
    >> Buffalo wrote:
    >>> You are probably the coward K-man your self.
    >>>

    >> Wrong again. Check the headers.

    > Header? What's a header? Is that like getting head or foot or ?

    Are you serious? You are handing out advice on usenet, and you don't
    know how to look at a post's header.
    Another, Dec 4, 2008
  11. belto

    Buffalo Guest

    Another wrote:
    > Buffalo wrote:
    >> Another wrote:
    >>>>

    >>> Wrong again. Check the headers.

    >> Header? What's a header? Is that like getting head or foot or ?
    >>

    > Are you serious? You are handing out advice on usenet, and you don't
    > know how to look at a post's header.

    Headers don't always tell the truth about shit!
    Besides, even you are allowed to hand out advice on the usenet. :)
    Buffalo, Dec 4, 2008