System Idle Process

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by HF, Aug 10, 2004.

  1. HF

    HF Guest

    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_20599371.html

    "John Rampling" <> wrote in message
    > Athlon +2600
    > Onboard sound & graphics
    > 512 Mb RAM
    > 80 Gb HDD
    > Win XP Pro
    > Network hub and Broadband
    >
    > Suddenly having immense problems with running games e.g. Quake II. My

    system
    > is stuttering on both graphics and sound, so much so that the game is
    > unplayable. Same on other games (all vintage stuff, no leading-edge

    games).
    > It was all right until recently. Similar problems with mouse response,
    > graphics tablet response etc - all stuttering.
    >
    > No spyware or viruses.
    >
    > Task Manager shows CPU usage is typically 90-100% even when I have no
    > applications running. Nothing appears untoward except that something

    called
    > System Idle Process is hogging all the CPU activity.
    >
    > What is this System Idle Process and is it responsible for my computer
    > slowing down? And if so what can I do about it?
    >
    > John

    ---

    HF, Aug 10, 2004

  2. HF

    derek / nul Guest

    On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 21:06:07 GMT, "John Rampling" <> wrote:

    >"HF" <21.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_20599371.html
    >>

    >Err.. can you point me to an answer that doesn't cost me money?

    The idle process is just that, when the cpu has no other work to do, it executes
    the idle process to let you know it is doing nothing.

    John Rampling, Aug 10, 2004
  4. John Rampling, Aug 10, 2004
  5. Thanks for your answers guys. It looks like System Idle Process is a red
    herring and nothing to do with my problems.

    Meanwhile the problems are still there. I should have a decently fast system
    now, much better than my old Pentium 350 and 128 mB RAM, whereas it is much
    worse. So WHY is everything grinding to a halt?

    John

    John Rampling, Aug 10, 2004
  6. HF

    Matt Guest

    experts-exchange got my attention

    I h-a-t-e this website . Anytime I search for
    a problem they claim to have the answer

    I know for a fact that they don't have all
    of the answers - but alot of poor folks
    might be conned into beleiving and
    forking over $$$ for @!#%^

    sorry just had to add my 2 bits here

    Matt, Aug 15, 2004
  7. HF

    Stuart Guest

    John Rampling wrote:
    > Thanks for your answers guys. It looks like System Idle Process is a red
    > herring and nothing to do with my problems.
    >
    > Meanwhile the problems are still there. I should have a decently fast system
    > now, much better than my old Pentium 350 and 128 mB RAM, whereas it is much
    > worse. So WHY is everything grinding to a halt?
    >
    > John

    Make sure all your drivers are up to date and not conflicting.

    Stuart

    Stuart, Aug 16, 2004