    one?
    cheers
    dan
    Dan Welch, Feb 15, 2004

  2. Dan Welch

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 16:48:09 -0000, Dan Welch wrote:

    >Good afternoon,
    >I have been having some problems with my computer recently - basically it's
    >been running very slowly. Windows XP Home, 256meg RAM, 1.7MHz processor,
    >55Gig HD about 40% free. No programmes recently installed or uninstalled.
    >I ran the windows task manager and found 'system idle process' using most of
    >the CPU - almost always over about 80% and frequently over 95%.

    System is idle 80-95% of the time.

    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=idle&db=*
    i·dle ( P )
    adj. i·dler, i·dlest
    1. Not employed or busy: idle carpenters. See Synonyms at
    inactive.
    2. Avoiding work or employment; lazy: shiftless, idle youth.
    See Synonyms at lazy.
    3. Not in use or operation: idle hands.

    www.google.com
    Searched the web for
    "system idle process"

    >At this time OE was taking minutes to load rather than it's usual... well,
    >smaller number of minutes.
    >What is 'system idle process' please, is it likely to slow the computer down
    >and if not, any ideas what could be slowing it down?

    <snip>

    c/o Mike sigs.
    Basic computer maintenance

    Me
    why?, Feb 15, 2004

  3. Dan Welch

    HamMan Guest

    "Dan Welch" <> wrote in message
    > Good afternoon,
    > I have been having some problems with my computer recently - basically

    it's
    > been running very slowly. Windows XP Home, 256meg RAM, 1.7MHz processor,
    > 55Gig HD about 40% free. No programmes recently installed or uninstalled.
    > I ran the windows task manager and found 'system idle process' using most

    of
    > the CPU - almost always over about 80% and frequently over 95%.
    > At this time OE was taking minutes to load rather than it's usual... well,
    > smaller number of minutes.
    > What is 'system idle process' please, is it likely to slow the computer

    down
    > and if not, any ideas what could be slowing it down?
    > I don't normally run task manager so for all I know my computer's 'idle'
    > most of the time!
    > Also, is there no scandisk with XP? Anyone know where to download a good
    > one?
    > cheers
    > dan

    oh, for gods sake man, what does 'system idle process' sound like? its the
    free processor cycles that have to be accounted for to make the other
    reasons accurate.

    speeding up an XP system:

    1. Start > Run 'sfc /scannow'
    2. Defragment it
    3. Unisntall Norton, install AVG
    4. Run the various spyware removal tools
    5. Defragment the hard disk
    6. Intall at least another 512Mb of RAM

    hamman
    HamMan, Feb 15, 2004
  4. Dan Welch

    °Mike° Guest

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/
    SpyBot S&D guide

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Spyware Blaster

    CWShredder

    Control your startups:
    ----------------------
    StartupList
    http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/

    Startup Monitor
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml

    Startup Control Panel
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

    WinPatrol
    http://www.winpatrol.com/

    Check what's necessary and what isn't
    http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php
    http://www.windowsstartup.com/wso/index.php

    Services Guide for Windows XP
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

    Windows XP Service Configurations
    http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

    Windows XP Strange Service Information
    http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/strangeservice.htm

    Windows 2000 Service Configurations
    http://www.blackviper.com/WIN2K/servicecfg.htm

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 16:48:09 -0000, in
    <>
    Dan Welch scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Feb 15, 2004
  5. Dan Welch

    Dan Welch Guest

    "HamMan" <matt**removeme**@hammedia.co.uk@deathtoallspammers> wrote in
    message news:c0o9n0$9cd$...

    > "Dan Welch" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > oh, for gods sake man, what does 'system idle process' sound like? its the
    > free processor cycles that have to be accounted for to make the other
    > reasons accurate.

    yeah, well, I thought it was probably what it says it was... but the system
    was very very slow and that was the only show in town! I wondered if it was
    a screen saver trying to activate or something.
    cheers
    dan

    Dan Welch, Feb 15, 2004
  6. Dan Welch

    Patrick Guest

    Dan Welch wrote:
    > Good afternoon,

    [main question snipped]

    > Also, is there no scandisk with XP? Anyone know where to download a
    > good one?
    > cheers
    > dan

    'Scandisk' has been dropped from XP, it has been replaced by 'chkdsk'
    The WinXP interface for 'chkdsk' is; Properties for drive (right-click,
    click 'Properties'), select 'Tools' menu, click 'Check Now' button.
    Command line interface for 'chkdsk' (help/parameters/switches) type at
    command-prompt; chkdsk /?
    Patrick, Feb 16, 2004