    2gb memory

    CPU Athlon 3000

    MSI NEO4-F
    Alexis, Nov 29, 2005

  2. The 'System Idle' process, shows that your machine is doing nothing. It is a
    sort of an 'endless loop' - only interrupted by an event. Typically, it will
    show 99%. If you move the mouse around a bit it will fall to something like
    85%, and other services take over the rest in order to move the mouse
    pointer on the screen. So, the system idle process checks if something needs
    to be done, if not, it checks if something needs to be done, and so on. . .

    Of course, this is quite normal. If your machine seems to run slowly it has
    to be something else - is the slowing-down accompanied by any noise from the
    HD? If so, it could be the pagefile that needs adjustment, but it could be
    your Anti Virus, working in the background, or updating checks issued by
    various app's - usually this would happen at start-up. I imagine it could be
    your network configuration, like i-net, or whatever.

    You could check the 'Event Log' to see if anything is amiss, otherwise,
    please report back if you notice anything that goes with this.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 29, 2005

  3. Alexis

    Alexis Guest

    Thanks Tony!
    I undestood the "System Idle" procces.
    I'm looking for the reason of slowing-down.
    My antivirus is Nod32, so this no the problem. nothing is working in the
    background.
    All night long the CPU usage never goes lower than 65%. When I start a
    program, like word, the CPU usage is up to 100%. Thanks anyway!

    Alexis

    Alexis, Nov 30, 2005
  4. O.K. - Did you have a look in 'Event Viewer'? You should check that for any
    warnings or errors and then check if any of those would relate to anything
    that looks suspicious in the 'processes tab' in Task Manager.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 30, 2005
  5. Alexis

    Alexis Guest

    I found what caused the high CPU usage.
    The card reader!!!
    When the reader was connected to the usb port, the cpu usage increased to
    65% and higher.
    Removing the reader, usage it normal (below 7%).
    A bug? or something else??

    Alexis, Dec 4, 2005
  6. Or. . .a driver/configuration problem? It should be sitting there monitoring
    for activities - not constantly reading from it, I would assume.

    Is that a USB2 device that you attached toa USB1 connector?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 4, 2005
  7. Alexis

    John Barnes Guest

    Unlikely 1.0 on this board unless using a really old add-on card. USB has
    caused numerous problems with x64, install problems, many not working and
    erratic operation. I am curious if the card actually read properly when
    connected or just caused problems.

    John Barnes, Dec 4, 2005
  8. Alexis

    Alexis Guest

    This is a new USB 2 device, "equip USB2.0 Card reader/writer 28 in1"
    (http://www.equip-info.net/english/index.php?main=10&gruppe=100&prod=1592)
    pluged in a USB2 connector.
    The driver was automatically installed without any configuration from me.
    It reads quickly and nice all the cards.
    When I plug the empty reader, the CPU usage grow to 65%. When I insert a
    card, no extra activity. When I unplug it, the cpu utilization fall to 5-7%.

    Alexis, Dec 4, 2005
  9. Alexis

    John Barnes Guest

    Thanks for the update. Have you tried the mfg site or chipset site to see
    if there may be a specific driver for it. The default driver may be just
    for the 5-6 most common cards and may have a problem with the reader BIOS
    for some others. Windows update would only offer a better one if it is
    approved and most readers aren't going to pay the fee for such a small
    installed base. Good luck.

    John Barnes, Dec 4, 2005