System hangs randomly during OS (XP x64) load

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by nickade@gmail.com, Nov 29, 2006.

  1. Guest

    My new system hangs during the Windows XP loading screen. When it does
    so, I do a hard restart. Then it will get past the Windows XP loading
    screen, but instead of getting the Welcome screen, it will restart on
    its own and then it will load the Welcome screen the third time.
    Additionally, I don't think that I can boot in to Safe Mode. This is
    the second computer I have built myself, and the first that I have used

    with a 64-bit operating system. I got XP with the upgrade coupon for
    Windows Vista Business, so I will completely reformat when I get the
    new OS. Maybe it will be more stable?

    Case: Lian Li PC-V1000APLUSII W Silver
    Power Supply: Silverstone ST50EF-Plus
    Motherboard: Asus P5B-E (the floppy controller does not work on this
    guy, but I bought a TEAC USB drive and that worked for my purposes)
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6700
    CPU Cooling: Cooler Master RR-LCH-P9E1
    Graphics Card: eVGA 256-P2-N624-AR GeForce 7900GS
    Memory: Corsair XMS2 Twin2X2048-6400
    Hard Drives: (2) Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS at RAID 0
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-S182D
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional x64

    I am running Avast, as Kaspersky did not work with XP x64.

    , Nov 29, 2006

  2. I doubt it. Reseat the video and memory cards. This is not likely to be a
    software issue.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 29, 2006

  3. Extremely unlikely. Also make sure that all hard disk cables are well
    seated - SATA cables are notoriously problematic.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 29, 2006
  4. In addition, you might want to turn off (disable) every option in your BIOS
    that you do not need - during trouble-shooting, turn off everything you
    don't need for booting the machine.

    Check if there's a later version of the BIOS and Flash!

    And, check your Event Viewer for Errors and Warnings!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 30, 2006
  5. Which reminds me, disconnect all external devices not needed to boot.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 30, 2006
  6. nandrosa Guest

    You were right. I'm not getting a hang anymore. Thanks for the quick
    response. Also, slightly new irregularity...I just updated my board's
    BIOS using its EZFlash Utility, and AiSuite is reporting significantly
    cooler CPU temperatures (22C), although the System temperature is not
    different (36C) from what it was before. The CPU is throttled back most
    of the time to 1.6 GHz instead of 2.6 GHz (it did this before too). The
    windows to my bedroom are open, and nws.noaa.gov says it's 40F outside.
    I don't feel chilly, but it could be 60F inside. I'm using a Cooler
    Master RR-LCH-P9E1 fan & heatsink combo. Strange?

    nandrosa, Nov 30, 2006
  7. Read up on the Core technology (Intel). I think that you are seeing pretty
    normal behavior. Intel has a lot of new ways to control temps. Glad the
    system is stable.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 30, 2006
  8. - ditto -

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 30, 2006
  9. nandrosa Guest

    Okay, so, I checked all the cables. I even re-installed Windows XP
    Professional x64 just in case Avast was causing the malfunction. There
    is something at the software or BIOS level that is causing XP to hang
    at the loading screen when I turn the power on. I then have to turn her
    off, and restart. Sometimes Windows loads the second time, and
    sometimes it loads, then restarts on its own, and loads successfully
    the third time. If I leave it on indefinitely, no problems though.

    nandrosa, Dec 9, 2006
  10. John Barnes Guest

    What do you mean by the loading screen? Have you tried F8 and selecting
    last known good? Go into system properties and in advances startup and
    recovery, turn off automatically restart and maybe you will receive an error
    code that may help.

    John Barnes, Dec 9, 2006
  11. This sounds like a situation where I would probably pull out the memory and
    re-seat it - perhaps even put it back by swapping one for the other, or just
    pulling one stick first and then the other if you have more than one. XP x64
    is said to excercise memory much harder when booting than 'Home Edition'
    does, so definitely worth a try. If that doesn't help I would try and borrow
    a set of good quality paired sticks.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 10, 2006
  12. And certainly I'd want to run a thorough memory diagnostic.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 10, 2006
  13. This is true - in all fairness, though, I've seen and heard of situations
    where the failing stick sits in bank One and continues to work pefectly when
    moved to bank Two - and this is not only a concern for our 64bit system. One
    specific bit pattern may be exciting one specific memory cell - if that cell
    is in bank One, the likelihood of having an error is large when booting
    because the same things are happening at the same memory locations all of
    the time (each time you boot!). Move it to the end of memory space and the
    error may never happen again.

    So, test the memory, but if you're on a budget and hate throwing things away
    you can try and swap between them first.

    If the machine is a workhorse, and these errors interfere with your daily
    business, test first - or buy a set of good quality paired sticks of memory
    right away.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 10, 2006
  14. I checked your spec's and I see you ARE having a pair of, what is known as
    excellent memory - since this is a new machine, I'd say YES do run a test!

    You are not overclocking, are you?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 10, 2006
  15. If one of them is bad, I want to know it, and I want it out of there.
    Period! I'm sorry, but even the thought of running with a known iffy memory
    DIMM gives me the willies! I'm still of the mindset that I want EEC memory.

    If I've got a bad DIMM, I'll go after the vendor for a replacement. And if
    my vendor is Crucial, I will not have a problem. Others? Well, I've seen
    mixed reports. But no way it stays in there.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 10, 2006
  16. This is the pragmatic approach, Charlie, but all your machines are
    workhorses to some degree (my guess). I have bought a couple of second
    hand's in my time and I can remember days when I would have welcomed this
    trick, at least for the time it takes to scoop up some overtime. If you're
    in that kind of situation - you usually worry more about the unexpected cost
    than you do about the prospect of having the memory problem pop up again.
    And if it does, the extra cost will not be quite as unexpected any longer.

    Today, I feel the same way you do. I usually build my own gear and I would
    not hesitate to throw anything of a flakey nature right back in the vendors
    face. ( In a friendly manner, of course.)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 11, 2006
  17. I've bought some old second hands in my day, it's true. Made sense in the
    2000 to XP time frame. Doesn't right now, and probably won't for a while.
    And virtualization has changed my outlook on second hand as well. I prefer
    to build my workhorse machines as VMs whenever possible.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 11, 2006