System hangs a bit before Windows XP load screen appears

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Ernest, Dec 24, 2005.

  1. Ernest

    Ernest Guest

    Hi, I have this problem occure right after a new system build and a
    reinstall of Windows XP pro. My system specs are:
    Abit NF8-V Pro w/
    1 GB DDR 400
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+
    ATI 9600 XT 256 mb DDR
    an old 60 GB HDD

    I've already built the system, and continued to install XP. I already
    partitioned the drives previously into 3 drives: a boot partition and
    two extra partitions (for backup purposes). I reinstalled XP on the
    boot partition, and installs successfully (I think). After the
    installing NForce drivers (The first thing I did), it required a
    restart. After POST, the system hangs, just a black screen. Then, after
    a brief moment, the XP loading screen appears, and continues on with
    the start up. I'm very much stuck on this, and would like to solve this
    hanging problem without reinstalling XP. One step I've taken is convert
    the disk to a dynamic disk, because the boot partition, with a basic
    disk, is an extended partition of one of the extra partitions (not
    really a fan of extended drives). What do I need to do?

    Thanks.
    Ernest
    Ernest, Dec 24, 2005

  2. Ernest

    nos1eep Guest

    On 24 Dec 2005 05:51:57 -0800, "Ernest" <> spewed
    the following drivel:

    <
[...]

    I would say that the system is stuttering on the drivers.
    Check to make sure you did not force feed the system 64 bit drivers,
    unless, of course, you are running WindowsXP 64.
    Check Device manager to make sure all is installed properly and there
    are no yellow !
    The dynamic disk is a mistake. If you reinstall or reformat your OS
    partition, you will not be able to access the rest of the disk.
    If this computer came into my shop, I would start over and just
    partition it to logical drives, eventually the dynamic disk will make
    your life complicated.
    --

    -nos1eep

    Q. What's the difference between a brown-noser and a shit-head?
    A. Depth perception.

    -Scaling up the heights of folly.
    -non est ponenda pluritas sine necessitate
    nos1eep, Dec 24, 2005

  3. Ernest

    Ernest Guest

    Hey, thanks for the reply.

    Yea your right about the dynamic drives, found it the hard way... But
    now, I've isolated the problem as the Nvidia chipset drivers. Without
    it, my system runs perfectly. Specifically, just the IDE controller and
    GART drivers. Wonder why

    Thanks alot
    Ernest, Dec 26, 2005
  4. Ernest

    nos1eep Guest

    It is further alleged that on or about 26 Dec 2005 14:28:41 -0800, in
    alt.computer, the queezy keyboard of "Ernest" <>
    spewed the following:

    |Hey, thanks for the reply.
    |
    |Yea your right about the dynamic drives, found it the hard way... But
    |now, I've isolated the problem as the Nvidia chipset drivers. Without
    |it, my system runs perfectly. Specifically, just the IDE controller and
    |GART drivers. Wonder why
    |
    |Thanks alot

    Did you install XP pro or XP pro x64? Did you install 32bit or 64 bit
    drivers?
    --

    -nos1eep

    nos1eep, Dec 26, 2005
  5. Ernest

    Ernest Guest

    Forgot to say... sorry
    I use XP pro, and I did not install the AMD drivers.
    Ernest, Dec 27, 2005
  6. Ernest

    nos1eep Guest

    It is further alleged that on or about 27 Dec 2005 15:11:55 -0800, in
    alt.computer, the queezy keyboard of "Ernest" <>
    spewed the following:

    |Forgot to say... sorry
    |I use XP pro, and I did not install the AMD drivers.

    Well, then do it, install the drivers that came with the board. You
    won't get very far without the drivers, that is why they include them.
    --

    -nos1eep

    nos1eep, Dec 28, 2005
  7. Ernest

    Ernest Guest

    Ive read many entries that the IDE drivers make the system slower,
    actually. So I'll stick w/o the nVidia drivers. I also don't think i
    need the AMD drivers... I don't need to use its extra feature
    Ernest, Dec 28, 2005
  8. Ernest

    nos1eep Guest

    It is further alleged that on or about 28 Dec 2005 12:04:54 -0800, in
    alt.computer, the queezy keyboard of "Ernest" <>
    spewed the following:

    |Ive read many entries that the IDE drivers make the system slower,
    |actually. So I'll stick w/o the nVidia drivers. I also don't think i
    |need the AMD drivers... I don't need to use its extra feature

    Whatever, I'll put you on the fuckwit list.
    --

    -nos1eep

    nos1eep, Dec 28, 2005