System hanging

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Matt Miller, Jul 23, 2003.

  1. Matt Miller

    Matt Miller Guest

    Hi,

    I recently built a new PC with the following hardware:

    ABIT NF7, rev. 2
    AMD Athlon XP 2800
    2x256mb Crucial PC2700 ram
    MSI GeForce FX 5600, 128mb ram
    SBLive! soundcard
    on-board NIC
    WD "Special Edition" 80GB HDD
    SONY DVD drive
    AOPEN CD Burner
    350W PSU, brand name ="Max"

    Win98 SE
    Debian Linux

    In both Windows and Linux, the system constantly will lock up.
    When this happens, I can still see whatever was on the screen, but no input
    from the keyboard or mouse is accepted, and any sound playing loops over
    and over like a broken record. Only way I can reboot is by reset button.

    The problem doesn't seem isolated to games, as it seems to occur randomly.
    For example, I could be playing Ghost Recon for an hour just fine, but then
    when I exit out to do something else, and then restart the game, the system
    hangs. It has also crashed sometimes just on a fresh boot up.

    Does this sound like an issue of not having a big enough power supply? The
    dealer I got it from says it's reliable, but maybe it doesn't have enough
    wattage?

    I've checked the CPU temp immediately after one of these crashes in the
    BIOS, and it doesn't seem too high. Or maybe it spikes somehow?

    I have updated my BIOS, and have recent drivers loaded.

    Thanks for your help!

    Matt Miller, Jul 23, 2003