    press the power off/on key to get it to shut down and then press again
    to get it to boot (and that is not always successful).

    Are these problems in any way related? Any advice?
    Alcazar, Dec 29, 2006

  2. Hi, Alcazar.

    My first thought is HEAT. The second is some other hardware problem: loose
    cables, bad RAM, etc.

    If heat buildup is not a problem, and if you've checked all your connections
    and reseated them and still have the problem, please post back. Include at
    least a brief description of your computer system: make and model of the
    computer (or of your motherboard/CPU/chipset/RAM, etc., if you built it
    yourself)' how many HDs and how are they partitioned and formatted; what
    other hardware are you using (CD/DVD? USB drives? keyboard and mouse? other
    stuff?); are you dual-booting and, if so, which OSes? How about your
    computer environment: Are you in the frozen north or in a desert? Is your
    computer area clear, or is airflow blocked? Other electronic devices
    nearby?

    The problem might be in drivers or other software, but your symptoms sound
    like hardware to me. You say it simply "freezes". For how long? Is the
    hard drive light on, off, or flickering? When you power off/on, it MIGHT
    reboot (maybe after it has had time to cool down a little), you say, which
    might confirm the heat theory.

    Remember: you can see your computer; we can't. All we know about it is
    what you tell us. So far, that isn't much. :>(

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    (Running Windows Mail 7.0 in Vista Ultimate x64)

    R. C. White, MVP, Dec 29, 2006

  3. Alcazar

    Alcazar Guest

    Ji there

    I don't think it is heat, as the box is standing in a well aired area
    with no obstruction and plenty of fans.

    My spec (which is only 2 months old) is:

    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Extreme X6800 Dual Core Processor(2.933GHz,4MB
    Cache,1066MHz)
    Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional x64 Edition
    Aluminium ATX Midi Tower + 550W PSU - Black
    ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe PCIe Mainboard - Pentium® D/Core™ 2 Duo -
    ATX
    2048MB DDR2 900MHz Memory -( 2x 1024MB Kit)
    1000GB (2x 500Gb) Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16MB Buffer
    LightScribe Super Format 16x Dual Layer DVD Writer +R/-R/RW/RAM
    Super Format SONY 18x Dual Layer DVD Writer +R/-R/RW/RAM
    1GB nVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2 - Dual GPU, HDTV, 2xDual Link DVI
    CreativeLabs Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS
    Creative Labs T6060 - 5.1 Speakers with Subwoofer
    Microsoft® Office® PRO 2003 oem
    Cyberlink Video Editing Suite - 7 titles (oem)
    6-Socket SurgeMaster® Superior Series with Telephone Protection
    6x USB 2.0 Ports (10x possible on motherboard)
    2x IEEE1394 Firewire (onboard)
    1x Gigabit LAN (onboard)

    The software that I have added since getting the PC is:

    i-tunes (but I uninstalled Quicktime, in case that was causing the
    problem but still have the freezing)
    Skype
    Mozilla Firefox 2.0 (but back-unistalled to Firefox 1.5 in case that
    was the problem - but still have the freezing)
    Winrar
    Emule
    Fritz 10 (chess playing software)
    Chessbase
    Audible Manager (for downloading audible books)
    that's about it.

    and I just downloaded and installed DirectX updates fom MS, in case
    that was the problem.

    I also have a Netgear wireless router (but no wireless devices
    connected yet)

    External hard drives and USB hub.

    The computer was working fine until I created an additional profile on
    my PC. Could this ve significant?
    Alcazar, Dec 29, 2006
  4. Heat has little to do with where the box is standing, and a whole lot to do
    with how well designed the box is, what kind of heat sink your CPU has, and
    what kind of thermal paste you're using. I dropped 12 degrees C. when I
    changed from a no-name box to a well designed Antec box.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    "Alcazar" <> wrote in message
    Ji there

    I don't think it is heat, as the box is standing in a well aired area
    with no obstruction and plenty of fans.

    My spec (which is only 2 months old) is:

    Intel® CoreT 2 Duo Extreme X6800 Dual Core Processor(2.933GHz,4MB
    Cache,1066MHz)
    Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional x64 Edition
    Aluminium ATX Midi Tower + 550W PSU - Black
    ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe PCIe Mainboard - Pentium® D/CoreT 2 Duo -

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 29, 2006
  5. Alcazar

    John Barnes Guest

    If heat is possible, removing covers doesn't necessarily make things cooler,
    unless you use an external fan to direct air against the heat producing
    parts. A well designed case with proper fans will provide better airflow
    than many cases with some covers removed.

    John Barnes, Dec 29, 2006
  6. Quicktime was (is?) x64 hostile. Amazingly if you installed it you
    would get pseudorandom outcomes from it simply not working to leaving
    rubbish all over the system. Any chance you can system restore to a
    pre-Quicktime install?

    I installed it and cannot uninstall it and in my case it does not seem
    to have broken anything. It does not work of course. Checking the
    apple site there is still no reference to x64.

    For the application service - search for quicktime alternative which
    plays quicktime and real files just fine on x64.

    Sadly if you install x84 drivers into an x64 system, you can really
    have a bad experience. Unless a driver specifically states it is x64
    compatible, make no assumptions and don''t do it without asking the
    vendor.

    Computerflyer, Dec 30, 2006
  7. Quicktime was (is?) x64 hostile. Amazingly if you installed it you

    Computerflyer, Dec 30, 2006
  8. Alcazar

    Dshai Guest

    Flyer, I have both Quicktime and I-tunes installed on XP Pro x64 and
    function great, both are the latest version, the I-tunes having just updated
    before writing this, you may want to check your version and see if an update
    is needed.

    Dshai

    Dshai, Dec 30, 2006
  9. Having a Live Linux CD as a rescue reserve, is not a bad idea at all.

    Not so much a rescue, perhaps - unless you're dying for some feet stompin',
    thigh slappin' entertainment, it runs without installing anything:

    http://www.musix.org.ar/

    parts, at least, in English for the rest of some of us:

    https://www.musix.org.ar/wiki/index.php/Documentation

    Happy New Year, Carlos!

    (and all the rest of us, of course. . .)

    Tony. . .

    "Carlos" <> wrote in message
    > John:
    > I'd rather reduce the problem to half of the software/hardware universe.
    > Alcazar: Get, burn, borrow (or steal) a liveCD of, let's say, some linux
    > distro.
    > Boot from that CD and see if the problem persists.
    > If such is the case, then we have to solve a hardware problem.
    > If the problem fades away, then wave a software issue in our hands.
    > Carlos
    > "John Barnes" wrote:
    >
    > > If heat is possible, removing covers doesn't necessarily make things

    cooler,
    > > unless you use an external fan to direct air against the heat producing
    > > parts. A well designed case with proper fans will provide better

    airflow
    > > than many cases with some covers removed.
    > >
    > > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in

    message

    Tony Sperling, Dec 30, 2006
  10. A wholehearted happy new year to all the members of this international group!
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Dec 30, 2006
  11. Hey! That Linux distro was created in my country, Argentina!
    Thanks for the tip, Tony!
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Dec 30, 2006
  12. Alcazar

    Alcazar Guest

    Does this help? I have noticed that the freeze occurs when I visit
    certain sites like yahoo's flicr and I think one or two others with
    flash content? Any suggestion?
    Alcazar, Dec 30, 2006
  13. "Alcazar" <> wrote in message
    > Does this help?

    Sorry - no, not really. The Live CD can come in handy (even invaluable?)
    when an error locks you out of your natural environment. . .and, as Carlos
    suggested - if you want to check out if an error is Hardware related, or
    occurs across different OS's.

    I have noticed that the freeze occurs when I visit

    Right after installing, I'm having such issues too, after a while it goes
    away - probably the Java thing that has to co-exist with all other kinds of
    plug-in's and updates. It usually settles down as everything is being put
    into place.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 30, 2006
  14. Yes, I just couldn't help it. . .also there are a couple of Video's - one
    looks like a University Lecture on the development of the Distro. This is
    far to much for my language skills, but I thought you might be interested!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 30, 2006
  15. Alcazar

    Alcazar Guest

    I burnt Ubuntu 6.10 onto a cd (thank you bit torrent) and when the
    problem happened again... I stuck the cd in and - nothing! It looked
    like it was being read by the drive, but no action... ok experts, what
    do I do now?

    Cheers!

    Alcazar, Dec 31, 2006
  16. I don't remember if that is a Live Distro at all, the idea is that you boot
    from the CD and have a real 'live' system running with nothing to install -
    if it isn't a Live Distro, when you boot, you should at least have an normal
    installer (which will not help you). If nothing happens, then you have
    produced a coaster.

    There are other and more targeted Live Distros out there, Knoppix is well
    known for System Recovery and lots more. But it has a full functioning
    Graphical Desktop (like most other's) and just booting it and browsing the
    'net' should test your system enough to give you a hint, if you can tell us
    that it is running fine, then it will have cut down the options for
    guessing. Here's a link to a page of info that has links to download mirrors
    and reviews:

    http://www.distrowatch.cz/table.php?distribution=knoppix

    Don't forget to visit the Website and look at their Forum or Wiki - if the
    new environment seems strange, this is the place to find out.

    Tony. . .

    Carlos wrote:
    > John:
    > I'd rather reduce the problem to half of the software/hardware universe.
    > Alcazar: Get, burn, borrow (or steal) a liveCD of, let's say, some linux
    > distro.
    > Boot from that CD and see if the problem persists.
    > If such is the case, then we have to solve a hardware problem.
    > If the problem fades away, then wave a software issue in our hands.
    > Carlos
    > "John Barnes" wrote:
    >
    > > If heat is possible, removing covers doesn't necessarily make things

    cooler,
    > > unless you use an external fan to direct air against the heat producing
    > > parts. A well designed case with proper fans will provide better

    airflow
    > > than many cases with some covers removed.
    > >
    > > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in

    message

    Tony Sperling, Dec 31, 2006
  17. Alcazar

    Dshai Guest

    That is a Live Distro, you have to boot to the cd, you also have to have
    your system set to look at the cd for boot prior to looking at the hdd.

    Dshai

    Dshai, Dec 31, 2006
  18. All Knoppix distributions and derivatives are by definition live cd's and
    dvd's.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 1, 2007
  19. Dshai,

    Thanks for that. I found versions of both QT and Real player that work
    :) It took a few tries to get QT running though - probably leftover
    problems from the non-compatible version I tried last year that
    eventually got overwritten with working stuff after two
    install-uninstall sequences.

    Flyer
    Computerflyer, Jan 1, 2007
  20. Indeed! I even think it was Knopper who invented the concept? The 'Bona
    Fide' original, no less!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 1, 2007