    restart it to keep it going (ctrl-alt-del does not work). Norton SystemWorks
    did not detect any error. The OS is Windows98. The system is a Pressario
    5838 with an Envision 710e monitor. Can someone help?
    Ajit Goswami, Nov 21, 2003

  2. Ajit Goswami

    James Haddow Guest

    Reformatting the computer would be my first reaction.

    james.

    "Ajit Goswami" <> wrote in message
    > The monitor-screen freezes unpredictably when the computer is in use. It
    > does not matter which program is running. I have to turn the power off and
    > restart it to keep it going (ctrl-alt-del does not work). Norton

    SystemWorks
    > did not detect any error. The OS is Windows98. The system is a Pressario
    > 5838 with an Envision 710e monitor. Can someone help?

    ---
    Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.
    James Haddow, Nov 21, 2003

  3. Ajit Goswami

    jah Guest

    it sound very much like a display adapter related problem. try unplugging
    your monitor, boot-up and then plug in your monitor.
    try updating device driver from manufacturers website. If you've done this
    recently (windows update?) try rolling back your driver from device manager.
    jah, Nov 21, 2003
  4. Ajit Goswami

    Ajit Goswami Guest

    Switched back to windows plug and play. Still happens.

    Ajit Goswami, Nov 21, 2003
  5. Ajit Goswami

    IC Guest

    Ajit Goswami wrote:
    > The monitor-screen freezes unpredictably when the computer is in use.
    > It does not matter which program is running. I have to turn the power
    > off and restart it to keep it going (ctrl-alt-del does not work).
    > Norton SystemWorks did not detect any error. The OS is Windows98. The
    > system is a Pressario 5838 with an Envision 710e monitor. Can someone
    > help?

    May be a heat related problem. Open up the case and see if all the fans are
    running, especially the one on the CPU heatsink. Also clean out any
    dust/dirt from the fans.
    Replace any bad/noisy fans.
    IC, Nov 21, 2003
  6. Ajit Goswami

    SgtMinor Guest

    Freezes are often caused by excess heat. Remove the case cover and,
    with a can of compressed air, blow everything clean. Look closely at
    the ventilation slots of your power supply. Run the system for a while
    without a cover.

    SgtMinor, Nov 21, 2003
  7. Ajit Goswami

    M Mullen Guest

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 14:13:14 GMT, "IC" <> wrote:

    |> Ajit Goswami wrote:
    |> > The monitor-screen freezes unpredictably when the computer is in use.

    |> May be a heat related problem. Open up the case and see if all the fans are
    |> running, especially the one on the CPU heatsink. Also clean out any
    |> dust/dirt from the fans.
    |> Replace any bad/noisy fans.

    Yep, in fact putting in another fan to blow on the cpu works wonders
    --
    ,,
    ( "> w
    M Mullen, Nov 22, 2003