System freeze with DVD burning

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by beenthere, May 30, 2006.

  1. beenthere

    beenthere Guest

    "dcs" <> wrote in message
    >I have a Windows XP,wuth up to date patches, etc. It works well
    > except when I burn DVDs.I have two hard drives. My main drive is
    > pretty full, about 4 gigs free out of 20; my slave drive is 200 gigs
    > and has about 90 free.
    >
    > Lately, the system finishes burning the dvd and then, about 80% of
    > the time, freezes up. It doesn't matter what burning software I use
    > (nero, Roxio, convert to dvd, etc.) this same thing happens when
    > burning dvds.
    >
    > I have two questions about this. One, can anyone suggest how to stop
    > the system from freezing up? Or why it does? This doesn't happen
    > with other applications. I installed a new DVD burner but it still
    > happens.
    >
    > Second question, when it freezes up, ctrl-alt-del does not good
    > because the whole system is frozen. All I know to do is to restart the
    > system. What damage is this doing to my computer and how can such
    > damage be repaired? I use Norton System Works to chaeck what it checks
    > but it doesn't find anything wrong with the drive or with Windows.
    >
    > My thanks in advance for any suggestions.

    Hi David.
    Check your Event Viewer for errors\warnings.
    you might get some clues, if it`s Apps or System.

    dcs, May 30, 2006

  3. beenthere

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 30 May 2006 07:38:19 -0700, dcs wrote:

    > I have a Windows XP,wuth up to date patches, etc. It works well except
    > when I burn DVDs.I have two hard drives. My main drive is pretty full,
    > about 4 gigs free out of 20; my slave drive is 200 gigs and has about 90
    > free.
    >
    > Lately, the system finishes burning the dvd and then, about 80% of
    > the time, freezes up. It doesn't matter what burning software I use (nero,
    > Roxio, convert to dvd, etc.) this same thing happens when burning dvds.
    >
    > I have two questions about this. One, can anyone suggest how to stop the
    > system from freezing up? Or why it does? This doesn't happen with other
    > applications. I installed a new DVD burner but it still happens.
    >
    > Second question, when it freezes up, ctrl-alt-del does not good because
    > the whole system is frozen. All I know to do is to restart the system.
    > What damage is this doing to my computer and how can such damage be
    > repaired? I use Norton System Works to chaeck what it checks but it
    > doesn't find anything wrong with the drive or with Windows.
    >
    > My thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    >
    > David

    Might look in your system and application events to see if any errors are
    listed.

    Meat Plow, May 30, 2006
  4. dcs wrote:

    <snipped symptoms>

    If you've got that damned Sonic DLA driver (and I say this because you
    mentioned Roxio) on your computer, go to the DVD properties, select the
    DLA tab and uncheck "Enable DLA on all your drives."

    It may having nothing to do with it, but that friggin' "feature" seems
    to cause all kinds of problems for everyone afflicted with it. They were
    supposed to have updated it, but I don't notice any change.

    The driver in question is tfsnifs.sys.

    --
    Rhonda Lea Kirk

    Insisting on perfect safety is for people
    without the balls to live in the real world.
    Mary Shafer Iliff

    Rhonda Lea Kirk, May 30, 2006
  5. beenthere

    dcs Guest

    Re: System freeze with DVD burning thanks for replies

    Thank you for your suggestions. I can't find any applicable error
    messages. Still trying to track down Sonic DLA drive in my system, to
    see if it might be the culprit.

    a question. My computer is several years old. Could my problem be that
    my CPU is running down, so to speak? If so, is it cost effective to
    replace it rather than buy a new computer, since I like my present
    softeware apps and configuration? And, if I replace the CPU, can I do
    it myself or do I need to take it to a professional?

    dcs, May 31, 2006