  1. Bob H

    Bob H Guest

    Where do I find XP System File Checker?
    Bob H, Dec 30, 2005

  2. Bob H

    Hans Guest

    Bob!

    I believe that the System File Checker does not exist in Windows XP.

    Hans

    Hans, Dec 30, 2005

  3. Bob H

    philo Guest

    philo, Dec 30, 2005
  4. Bob H

    Kenny Guest

    Wrong, in the Run box type "sfc /scannow" without the quotes. Have the XP
    CD in the drive.

    --
    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Dec 30, 2005
  5. Bob H

    Dave Lear Guest

    "Bob H" wrote in message news:

    > Where do I find XP System File Checker?

    Normally people suggest using Google but the answer to this one is available
    from the Operating System's own help facility...

    Start

    Help

    Type in System File Checker and click the ->

    That will open
    file://ms-its:C:\WINDOWS\Help\ntcmds.chm::/system_file_checker.htm
    Dave Lear, Dec 30, 2005
  6. Bob H

    Bill P Guest

    "Bob H" <> wrote in message
    > Where do I find XP System File Checker?

    Run SFC /SCANNOW

    There is a space after SFC

    Regards
    Bill
    Bill P, Dec 30, 2005
  7. Bob H

    Bill P Guest

    "Bill P" <> wrote in message

    > "Bob H" <> wrote in message
    >> Where do I find XP System File Checker?

    > Run SFC /SCANNOW
    >
    > There is a space after SFC
    >
    > Regards
    > Bill

    or Run Chkdsk.exe
    Bill P, Dec 30, 2005
  8. Bob H

    FML Guest

    Bill P wrote:
    > "Bill P" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Bob H" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Where do I find XP System File Checker?

    >>Run SFC /SCANNOW
    >>
    >>There is a space after SFC
    >>
    >>Regards
    >>Bill
    >>

    > or Run Chkdsk.exe

    Not the same thing! OP wants to know how to run SFC.
    FML, Dec 30, 2005
  9. Bob H

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:dp3g8c$1im$ "Bill P"
    <> wrote:

    > "Bob H" <> wrote in message
    >> Where do I find XP System File Checker?

    > Run SFC /SCANNOW

    This raises an interesting question. If I run SFC and it wants to reload
    a DLL or OCX, it asks for my original Windows installation CD.

    My CD is for XP Pro SP1, but I'm running SP2 plus a boatload of patches.
    I don't have an SP2 installation CD.

    What happens if it loads an old version of some DLL off the installation
    CD? Would Windows Update catch it and re-apply some patch, or would the
    old one just lurk in there forever, or until it just happens to be
    replaced again by some later update?

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
    Bert Hyman, Dec 30, 2005
  10. Bob H

    Trax Guest

    Bert Hyman <> wrote:

    |>In news:dp3g8c$1im$ "Bill P"
    |><> wrote:
    |>

    |>> "Bob H" <> wrote in message
    |>>
    |>> Run SFC /SCANNOW
    |>
    |>This raises an interesting question. If I run SFC and it wants to reload
    |>a DLL or OCX, it asks for my original Windows installation CD.
    |>
    |>My CD is for XP Pro SP1, but I'm running SP2 plus a boatload of patches.
    |>I don't have an SP2 installation CD.
    |>
    |>What happens if it loads an old version of some DLL off the installation
    |>CD? Would Windows Update catch it and re-apply some patch, or would the
    |>old one just lurk in there forever, or until it just happens to be
    |>replaced again by some later update?

    SP2 breaks SFC, you will be asked to insert the XP CD or the SP2 CD of
    course it will reject whatever you insert.

    You need to slipstream XP and SP2 before SFC will work again
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
    short link http://tinyurl.com/4n7y5

    --
    http://games.briankass.com/
    Trax, Dec 30, 2005
  11. Bob H

    FML Guest

    Bert Hyman wrote:
    > In news:dp3g8c$1im$ "Bill P"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Bob H" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Where do I find XP System File Checker?

    >>Run SFC /SCANNOW

    > This raises an interesting question. If I run SFC and it wants to reload
    > a DLL or OCX, it asks for my original Windows installation CD.
    >
    > My CD is for XP Pro SP1, but I'm running SP2 plus a boatload of patches.
    > I don't have an SP2 installation CD.
    >
    > What happens if it loads an old version of some DLL off the installation
    > CD? Would Windows Update catch it and re-apply some patch, or would the
    > old one just lurk in there forever, or until it just happens to be
    > replaced again by some later update?

    You could create a WinXP CD slipstreamed with SP2:

    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp#ez6
    FML, Dec 30, 2005
  12. Bob H

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news: Trax
    <> wrote:

    > You need to slipstream XP and SP2 before SFC will work again
    > http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
    > short link http://tinyurl.com/4n7y5

    Thanks for that; it should come in handy if I need to re-install XP.

    In the interim, I found something an MS KB article on a registry change
    to point SFC at <Windows>\ServicePackFiles instead of the CD, but that
    raises another problem: It then assumes that the files in that directory
    are all "pure" and can be used as a base for comparison.

    And yet again, if a file has been replaced by an update subsequent to
    SP2, will SFC consider it "bad" because it doesn't match the file on the
    CD or in the repository and try to revert it?

    All in all, it looks like a dicey process.

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
    Bert Hyman, Dec 30, 2005
  13. Bob H

    Trax Guest

    Bert Hyman <> wrote:

    |>In news: Trax
    |><> wrote:
    |>
    |>> You need to slipstream XP and SP2 before SFC will work again
    |>> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
    |>> short link http://tinyurl.com/4n7y5
    |>
    |>Thanks for that; it should come in handy if I need to re-install XP.
    |>
    |>In the interim, I found something an MS KB article on a registry change
    |>to point SFC at <Windows>\ServicePackFiles instead of the CD, but that
    |>raises another problem: It then assumes that the files in that directory
    |>are all "pure" and can be used as a base for comparison.

    Those files are used by SFC file protection, you can delete any file
    you want but SFC will replace it from the ServicePackFiles directory
    on the next reboot.

    SFC /scannow insures those files are the correct ones.

    |>And yet again, if a file has been replaced by an update subsequent to
    |>SP2, will SFC consider it "bad" because it doesn't match the file on the
    |>CD or in the repository and try to revert it?
    |>
    |>All in all, it looks like a dicey process.

    One of the best ways to insure you have the proper files needed for
    your OS.

    --
    http://games.briankass.com/
    Trax, Dec 30, 2005
  14. Bob H

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news: Trax
    <> wrote:

    > Bert Hyman <> wrote:

    >|>Thanks for that; it should come in handy if I need to re-install XP.
    >|>
    >|>In the interim, I found something an MS KB article on a registry
    >|>change to point SFC at <Windows>\ServicePackFiles instead of the CD,
    >|>but that raises another problem: It then assumes that the files in
    >|>that directory are all "pure" and can be used as a base for
    >|>comparison.
    >
    > Those files are used by SFC file protection, you can delete any file
    > you want but SFC will replace it from the ServicePackFiles directory
    > on the next reboot.

    As I said, it seems to assume that the files in that directory are
    "pure". Why?

    > SFC /scannow insures those files are the correct ones.

    How? Is there a checksum or something stored away somewhere?

    --
    Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
    Bert Hyman, Dec 30, 2005
  15. Bob H

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:Xns973CB0D3D9FADVeebleFetzer@216.250.184.7,
    Bert Hyman spewed forth:
    > In news: Trax
    > <> wrote:

    >> Those files are used by SFC file protection, you can delete any file
    >> you want but SFC will replace it from the ServicePackFiles directory
    >> on the next reboot.

    > As I said, it seems to assume that the files in that directory are
    > "pure". Why?
    >

    >> SFC /scannow insures those files are the correct ones.

    > How? Is there a checksum or something stored away somewhere?

    Here's your answer:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=222193

    Toolman Tim, Dec 30, 2005
  16. Bob H

    Bert Hyman Guest

    In news:lljtf.232$ "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:
    > In news:Xns973CB0D3D9FADVeebleFetzer@216.250.184.7,
    > Bert Hyman spewed forth:
    >> In news: Trax
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> SFC /scannow insures those files are the correct ones.

    >> How? Is there a checksum or something stored away somewhere?

    > Here's your answer:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=222193

    Well, OK then :)

    --