    Win XP Home
    P 4 256 RAM
    1.6 Ghz
    Gollum, Jun 1, 2004

  2. Gollum

    Trent SC Guest

    > I,ve been trying to run SFC by going to start/run and typing sfc. I get a
    > quick glimpse of a DOS window for a split second, and then, nothing!
    > My antivirus shows nothing, whats happened??
    >
    > Win XP Home
    > P 4 256 RAM
    > 1.6 Ghz

    Try "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes, obviously). There's an extract from
    a MSKB article about SFC below. HTH

    ---------------------------

    This article describes System File Checker (Sfc.exe), which is a
    command-line utility used with the Windows File Protection (WFP) feature.

    MORE INFORMATION
    System File Checker gives an administrator the ability to scan all protected
    files to verify their versions. If System File Checker discovers that a
    protected file has been overwritten, it retrieves the correct version of the
    file from the cache folder (%Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache) or the Windows
    installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file. System File
    Checker also checks and repopulates the cache folder. You must be logged on
    as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run System
    File Checker. If the cache folder becomes damaged or unusable, you can use
    the sfc /scannow, the sfc /scanonce, or the sfc /scanboot commands to repair
    its contents.

    System File Checker Tool Syntax
    Sfc [/Scannow] [/Scanonce] [/Scanboot] [/Revert] [/Purgecache]
    [/Cachesize=x]

    · /Scannow: Scans all protected system files immediately and
    replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions. This command
    may require access to the Windows installation source files.

    · /Scanonce: Scans all protected system files one time when you
    restart your computer. This command may require access to the Windows
    installation source files when you restart the computer. The SfcScan DWORD
    value is set to 2 in the following registry key when you run this command:

    · /Scanboot: Scans all protected system files every time you start
    your computer. This command may require access to the Windows installation
    source files every time you start your computer. The SfcScan DWORD value is
    set to 1 in the following registry key when you run this command:

    · /Revert: Returns scan to the default setting (do not scan
    protected files when you start the computer).The default cache size is not
    reset when you run this command. This command is equivalent to the /Enable
    switch in Windows 2000.

    · /Purgecache: Purges the file cache and scans all protected system
    files immediately. This command may require access to the Windows
    installation source files.

    · /Cachesize=x: Sets the file cache size to x megabytes (MB). The
    default size of the cache is 50 MB. This command requires you to restart the
    computer, and then run the /purgecache command to adjust the size of the
    on-disk cache. This command sets the SfcQuota DWORD value to x in the
    following registry key:

    Trent SC, Jun 1, 2004

  3. Gollum

    Isaac Guest

    "Gollum" <> wrote in news:40bc822c$1_1@mk-nntp-
    2.news.uk.tiscali.com:

    > I,ve been trying to run SFC by going to start/run and typing sfc. I get a
    > quick glimpse of a DOS window for a split second, and then, nothing!
    > My antivirus shows nothing, whats happened??
    >
    > Win XP Home
    > P 4 256 RAM
    > 1.6 Ghz

    Try typing cmd, and in the commandprompt which opens sfc.
    Isaac, Jun 1, 2004
  4. Gollum

    Trev Guest

    "Gollum" <> wrote in message
    > I,ve been trying to run SFC by going to start/run and typing sfc. I get a
    > quick glimpse of a DOS window for a split second, and then, nothing!
    > My antivirus shows nothing, whats happened??
    >
    > Win XP Home
    > P 4 256 RAM
    > 1.6 Ghz

    You need to open a cod window first but Sac runs in the background on XP
    checking and replacing damaged files all sac scannow does is re build the
    cache
    Trev, Jun 1, 2004
  5. Gollum

    °Mike° Guest

    Open a command prompt and type sfc /?

    On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 14:18:39 +0100, in
    <40bc822c$>
    Gollum scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jun 1, 2004
  6. Gollum

    ImhoTech Guest

    "Gollum" <> wrote in message
    > I,ve been trying to run SFC by going to start/run and typing sfc. I get a
    > quick glimpse of a DOS window for a split second, and then, nothing!
    > My antivirus shows nothing, whats happened??
    >
    > Win XP Home
    > P 4 256 RAM
    > 1.6 Ghz

    Nothing!