System File Checker and SP1 or SP2

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by PC, Jun 15, 2004.

  1. PC

    PC Guest

    Greetings all

    A situation that has puzzled me for quite a while has just got murkier:

    PC = Athlon/1GB/80GB\Asus MB/Nvidia etc. (fairly standard stuff)

    OS = Windows XP Pro. scource CD pre SP1

    In the course of normal maintenance I sometimes run "sfc /scannow" from a
    command window (sfc = System File Checker)

    For a while it trundled through doing it's job as expected each time it was
    run. As those that have run sfc will know it asks for the XP CD to refresh a
    cache of files for checking. No problems, put my pre SP1 CD in and away it
    goes.

    Months pass, Windows Update does it's thing, and all of a sudden "sfc
    /scannow" asks for the CD as usual then complains that it's not a"SP1" CD!

    Eh! I don't own a XP SP1 CD, ok I'll give it away, ignore it, don't worry
    about it, forget it.

    So tonight I have a PC on the bench with XP SP1 installed, hey lets try
    their SP1a CD on my PC. Guess what "sfc /scannow" wants the SP2 CD!
    SP2 hasn't been released yet!

    Googling has only found other people with the same problem.

    Does anybody (Nathan Mercer? hint, hint) know how to 'fix' this sfc SP1/2 CD
    problem on a machine that is kept up to date with Windows patches & updates.

    Cheers
    Paul

    PC, Jun 15, 2004

  2. PC

    frederick Guest

    "PC" <> wrote in message
    > Greetings all
    >
    > A situation that has puzzled me for quite a while has just got

    murkier:

    > PC = Athlon/1GB/80GB\Asus MB/Nvidia etc. (fairly standard stuff)
    >
    > OS = Windows XP Pro. scource CD pre SP1
    >
    > In the course of normal maintenance I sometimes run "sfc /scannow"

    from a
    > command window (sfc = System File Checker)
    >
    > For a while it trundled through doing it's job as expected each time

    it was
    > run. As those that have run sfc will know it asks for the XP CD to

    refresh a
    > cache of files for checking. No problems, put my pre SP1 CD in and

    away it
    > goes.
    >
    > Months pass, Windows Update does it's thing, and all of a sudden "sfc
    > /scannow" asks for the CD as usual then complains that it's not a"SP1"

    CD!

    > Eh! I don't own a XP SP1 CD, ok I'll give it away, ignore it, don't

    worry
    > about it, forget it.
    >
    > So tonight I have a PC on the bench with XP SP1 installed, hey lets

    try
    > their SP1a CD on my PC. Guess what "sfc /scannow" wants the SP2 CD!
    > SP2 hasn't been released yet!
    >
    > Googling has only found other people with the same problem.
    >
    > Does anybody (Nathan Mercer? hint, hint) know how to 'fix' this sfc

    SP1/2 CD
    > problem on a machine that is kept up to date with Windows patches &

    updates.

    > Cheers
    > Paul

    So sfc can't refresh a dll cache from a disk that contains the wrong
    dlls.
    Partial answer is copy your pre- sp1 cd to your hard drive, slipstream
    sp1 (the full 130mb) to it, burn it to cd and use that.
    Then unless there is a way to slipstream the SP2 patches applied to your
    system via windows update to your install disk copy, you have to sit
    there hitting the "skip" button for each Sp2 dll sfc can't find. So,
    when you get the full Sp2, slipsteam again to your install disk copy,
    and it should be ok for a time, but then you will get the same problem
    waiting for the full SP3 :)
    Is there a switch for SFC to automatically skip these files? I can't
    find one documented.

    frederick, Jun 15, 2004