System fails to start except in safe mode

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bev, Nov 25, 2004.

  1. Bev

    Bev Guest

    Hi

    I have a probem, but I'm sure the answer is going to be simple.

    I have just installed windows XP 2002 edition. Everything works fine until
    I install the driver for the graphics card (Sapphire Radeon 9200SE 128MB).

    Then system will not start, goes through the motions but stops and reboots
    jus before the blue welcome screen. I have download the very latest drivers
    for the card but the same thing happens.

    When I go into the system under safe mode, the system starts first time so I
    uninstall the driver for the card and restart and the system starts on first
    reboot. However, because the drivers are already on the system windows
    finds new hardware and installs them again for the graphics card.

    Do you think getting the latest updates and SP2 would solve this problem? Or
    do you think the card has had it?

    Bev
    Bev, Nov 25, 2004

  2. Bev

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Bev" <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I have a probem, but I'm sure the answer is going to be simple.
    >
    >I have just installed windows XP 2002 edition. Everything works fine until
    >I install the driver for the graphics card (Sapphire Radeon 9200SE 128MB).
    >
    >Then system will not start, goes through the motions but stops and reboots
    >jus before the blue welcome screen. I have download the very latest drivers
    >for the card but the same thing happens.
    >
    >When I go into the system under safe mode, the system starts first time so I
    >uninstall the driver for the card and restart and the system starts on first
    >reboot. However, because the drivers are already on the system windows
    >finds new hardware and installs them again for the graphics card.
    >
    >Do you think getting the latest updates and SP2 would solve this problem? Or
    >do you think the card has had it?
    >
    >Bev

    1. While you are in Safe Mode right-click on My Computer and select
    Manage. Expand the Event Viewer category to show the 3 subcategories
    and browse through each of these to locate any red-flagged error
    records whose date and time stamp matches yoru normal mode startup
    attempts. Double-click on an error record to see the details of that
    error.

    2. Open Control Panel - System - Advanced and click on the Settings
    button in the Startup and Recovery (bottom) section. In the Startup
    and Recovery window click on the checkbox for "automatically restart"
    to clear it. That will result in a "Blue Screen Of Death" STOP error
    message instead of a reboot, but the contents of the error message,
    including all of the parameters, will be a direct clue as to the
    underlying cause of the problem.

    Post the error message data from either the event log or the BSOD (or
    both) back here if you require further advice or assistance.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP