System did not assign drive letter...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mara, Jun 17, 2005.

  1. Mara

    Mara Guest

    Hello, all -

    I've searched the archives and can't find the answer to my specific
    problem, so here goes.

    I'm running Windows 98 on a Gateway system with a 500Mhz PIII. I have
    PhoenixBIOS version 4.0, release 6.0. I just added a (non-bootable)
    slave hard drive to my system last night. Everything went without a
    hitch, everything's jumpered correctly, etc. However, I can't actually
    get to the hard drive; it won't show up in "My Computer".

    When I go to my device manager, it shows up there, and it says that the
    device is working properly. What I noticed, though, is that in the
    device manager, the slave hd has not been assigned a drive letter.
    Here's what the device manager tab looks like:

    Disconnect is checked.
    Sync data transfer is checked.
    Auto Insert Notification is unchecked and greyed out; I can't check it
    off.
    Int 13 Unit is checked and greyed out; doesn't seem to be a way to
    uncheck it.
    Current drive letter is blank.

    Removable was NOT checked. However, when I checked this box, suddenly
    I was able to manually assign a drive letter in the "Start Drive
    Letter" and "End Drive Letter" drop down boxes, AND it causes it to
    show up in "My Computer" as a removable device. However, when I click
    on it, it tells me the "Disk in drive Z: is not formatted" and asks me
    if I want to format it now. Unfortunately, I've got 70 gig of
    information on this hd and don't want to wipe it out, so I hit NO!
    Which takes me right back to square one.

    I'm assuming that because this device is showing up in properties, it
    would also show up in the BIOS. I'm not actually able to get to the
    BIOS, however; I can get into setup via F1, but it won't allow me
    scroll up to the BIOS settings. I've tried getting in with Enter,
    Shift, Alt, Tab, F10, F11, and F12, all to no avail.

    What am I doing wrong? What is my next step? Anybody? Help?!

    Much thanks,
    Mara

    dagny SIX EIGHT AT yahoo DOT com
    Mara, Jun 17, 2005

  2. Mara

    Ghostrider Guest

    Mara wrote:

    > Hello, all -
    >
    > I've searched the archives and can't find the answer to my specific
    > problem, so here goes.
    >
    > I'm running Windows 98 on a Gateway system with a 500Mhz PIII. I have
    > PhoenixBIOS version 4.0, release 6.0. I just added a (non-bootable)
    > slave hard drive to my system last night. Everything went without a
    > hitch, everything's jumpered correctly, etc. However, I can't actually
    > get to the hard drive; it won't show up in "My Computer".
    >
    > When I go to my device manager, it shows up there, and it says that the
    > device is working properly. What I noticed, though, is that in the
    > device manager, the slave hd has not been assigned a drive letter.
    > Here's what the device manager tab looks like:
    >
    > Disconnect is checked.
    > Sync data transfer is checked.
    > Auto Insert Notification is unchecked and greyed out; I can't check it
    > off.
    > Int 13 Unit is checked and greyed out; doesn't seem to be a way to
    > uncheck it.
    > Current drive letter is blank.
    >
    > Removable was NOT checked. However, when I checked this box, suddenly
    > I was able to manually assign a drive letter in the "Start Drive
    > Letter" and "End Drive Letter" drop down boxes, AND it causes it to
    > show up in "My Computer" as a removable device. However, when I click
    > on it, it tells me the "Disk in drive Z: is not formatted" and asks me
    > if I want to format it now. Unfortunately, I've got 70 gig of
    > information on this hd and don't want to wipe it out, so I hit NO!
    > Which takes me right back to square one.
    >
    > I'm assuming that because this device is showing up in properties, it
    > would also show up in the BIOS. I'm not actually able to get to the
    > BIOS, however; I can get into setup via F1, but it won't allow me
    > scroll up to the BIOS settings. I've tried getting in with Enter,
    > Shift, Alt, Tab, F10, F11, and F12, all to no avail.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong? What is my next step? Anybody? Help?!

    Let's start off by reviewing some information. First, what
    is the formatting of this hard drive - FAT32 or NTFS? Win98
    will not see a NTFS partition. (At 70 GB, probably NTFS.)

    Second, Win98 is a derivative of DOS and uses a config.sys
    file. Is there a "LastDrive" line in config.sys; if so, what
    does it say? That is, if Drives C, D and E already exist and
    there is no LastDrive line, Drive F and above will not be seen.

    Third, even if this hard drive is in FAT32, the {hoenix bios
    might be too obsolete to see beyond 32 GB.

    These may be some of the factors involved here.
    Ghostrider, Jun 17, 2005