    Thanks in advance

    Greg (typing this on a friend's system)

    , Sep 7, 2004

  2. °Mike° Guest

    Updating ESCD
    http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/booterrGBER23-c.html

    On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 04:58:12 +0000 (UTC), in
    <chjf54$36m$>
    scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Sep 7, 2004

  3. why? Guest

    On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 04:58:12 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

    >My P2-600 Win98SE system suddenly forgot it had a hard drive last night.
    >Going into the BIOS, I fixed the error and rebooted. Now the system
    >stalls on: Updating ESCD......
    >
    >What's happening and why isn't the boot progressing further? Could it be

    Usually that's after a hardware change. I have had that message a few
    times on a AMD K2-6/500 Award v4.51PG BIOS. (You didn't mention what
    version your BIOS is)

    I fixed this by going into the BIOS, selecting "Reset Configuration
    Data" as all my HD settings were AUTO and I knew I didn't need to write
    down any BIOS settings I didn't keep a note of them. The same may not be
    true for you.

    >a virus although I'm pretty careful of what I download and usually do a
    >virus check on everything. The battery still registers good on my
    >battery tester. I really can't afford to get another system at this time.

    Unless the tester puts a load on the battery near dead ones can measure
    as okay.

    Me

    why?, Sep 7, 2004