    Any help would be appreciated

    I am using The latest version of Windows XP

    Bob
    fiddaman64, Jul 24, 2004

  2. fiddaman64

    atec Guest

    fiddaman64 wrote:

    > When I reboot my system beeps and hangs until I press one of the 'F' buttons
    > (1 to 12)
    >
    > When it finally boots I am left with strange noises and any text box I try
    > to fill in, such as a search engine box, are filled with a series of 4's
    > (444444444444444)
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated
    >
    > I am using The latest version of Windows XP

    format and install someother virus ?

  3. fiddaman64

    fiddaman64 Guest

    "atec" <"atec77(notspam)"@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > format and install someother virus ?

    I am running the latest version of AVG Anti Virus and it picks nothing up?

    Bob
    fiddaman64, Jul 24, 2004
  4. fiddaman64

    SwissTony Guest

    "fiddaman64" <> wrote in message

    > When I reboot my system beeps and hangs until I press one of the 'F'
    > buttons
    > (1 to 12)
    >
    > When it finally boots I am left with strange noises and any text box I try
    > to fill in, such as a search engine box, are filled with a series of 4's
    > (444444444444444)
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated
    >

    > I am using The latest version of Windows XP
    >
    > Bob

    Are the beeps when u first turn the pc on or after the xp progress bar comes
    up?
    What is the sequence or the beeps? Long long short etc??
    SwissTony, Jul 24, 2004
  5. fiddaman64

    fiddaman64 Guest

    "SwissTony" <> wrote in message

    > Are the beeps when u first turn the pc on or after the xp progress bar

    comes
    > up?
    > What is the sequence or the beeps? Long long short etc??

    When the Windows XP screen appears

    Short beeps

    Bob
    fiddaman64, Jul 24, 2004
  6. fiddaman64

    jj Guest

    After serious thinking fiddaman64 wrote :

    > When I reboot my system beeps and hangs until I press one of the 'F' buttons
    > (1 to 12)
    >
    > When it finally boots I am left with strange noises and any text box I try
    > to fill in, such as a search engine box, are filled with a series of 4's
    > (444444444444444)
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated
    >

    > I am using The latest version of Windows XP
    >
    > Bob

    you got a virus nanananana

    --
    mbouhahaha
    jj, Jul 24, 2004
  7. fiddaman64

    atec Guest

    fiddaman64 wrote:

    > "atec" <"atec77(notspam)"@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >

    > > format and install someother virus ?

    > I am running the latest version of AVG Anti Virus and it picks nothing up?

    sorry that went over your head :_)

  8. fiddaman64

    JJO Guest

    > "atec" <"atec77(notspam)"@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >> format and install someother virus ?

    > I am running the latest version of AVG Anti Virus and it picks nothing up?

    Which actually is absolutely no guarantee that you do not have a virus. I
    had Norton 2003 and it missed Sasser completely on my system and my
    daughter-in-laws. Try one of the online scanners at the following links,
    assuming of course that the system is useable. Also try downloading and
    installing another AV program such as Avast. It may pick up what another has
    missed. If the system is not useable you may be better off with a format and
    clean install. A repair install would probably leave the virus intact and
    operational.

    http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp?cid=9914

    http://www.symantec.com/nav/nav_9xnt/

    Regards,
    John O.

    JJO, Jul 24, 2004
  9. fiddaman64

    Tim Guest

    On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 12:17:56 GMT, "fiddaman64"
    <> wrote:

    >When I reboot my system beeps and hangs until I press one of the 'F' buttons
    >(1 to 12)
    >
    >When it finally boots I am left with strange noises and any text box I try
    >to fill in, such as a search engine box, are filled with a series of 4's
    >(444444444444444)

    Sounds like a faulty keyboard, or a stuck key (4?)

    Most BIOSes will stop and wait for you to press F2 (or similar) when a
    keyboard fault is detected.

    Make sure the keyboard is firmly plugged in to the socket. If that
    doesn't work, try another keyboard.
    Tim, Jul 24, 2004
  10. fiddaman64

    fiddaman64 Guest

    "JJO" <> wrote in message

    > Which actually is absolutely no guarantee that you do not have a virus. I
    > had Norton 2003 and it missed Sasser completely on my system and my
    > daughter-in-laws. Try one of the online scanners at the following links,
    > assuming of course that the system is useable. Also try downloading and
    > installing another AV program such as Avast. It may pick up what another

    has
    > missed. If the system is not useable you may be better off with a format

    and
    > clean install. A repair install would probably leave the virus intact and
    > operational.
    >
    > http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm
    >
    > http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp?cid=9914
    >
    > http://www.symantec.com/nav/nav_9xnt/
    >
    > Regards,
    > John O.

    OK, Thanks.

    Ran one on Panda and it found

    CodeBase.A

    Surely this wouldn't cause my PC to beep and malfunction?

    I'll give the others a go to.

    Many Thanks

    Bob
    fiddaman64, Jul 24, 2004
  11. fiddaman64

    fiddaman64 Guest

    "Tim" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 12:17:56 GMT, "fiddaman64"

    > Sounds like a faulty keyboard, or a stuck key (4?)
    >
    > Most BIOSes will stop and wait for you to press F2 (or similar) when a
    > keyboard fault is detected.
    >
    > Make sure the keyboard is firmly plugged in to the socket. If that
    > doesn't work, try another keyboard.

    Keyboard is plugged in correctly. Wierd problem?

    Bob
    fiddaman64, Jul 24, 2004
  12. Try booting in safe mode and see if it still does it! sounds like a driven
    hardware problem eg modem' sound card usb controller, somthing that
    crashes when its driver loads!

    Adrian Banbury, Jul 24, 2004
  13. fiddaman64

    ICee Guest

    fiddaman64 wrote:
    > When I reboot my system beeps and hangs until I press one of the 'F'
    > buttons (1 to 12)
    >
    > When it finally boots I am left with strange noises and any text box
    > I try to fill in, such as a search engine box, are filled with a
    > series of 4's (444444444444444)
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated
    >

    > I am using The latest version of Windows XP
    >
    > Bob

    It could be a BIOS beep code error. Determine the make of the BIOS and
    check against this list of error codes:
    http://www.amptron.com/html/bios.beepcodes.html
    ICee, Jul 24, 2004
  14. fiddaman64

    fiddaman64 Guest

    "ICee" <> wrote in message

    > It could be a BIOS beep code error. Determine the make of the BIOS and
    > check against this list of error codes:
    > http://www.amptron.com/html/bios.beepcodes.html

    Thanks.

    How do I Determine the make of the BIOS?

    Bob
    fiddaman64, Jul 24, 2004
  15. fiddaman64

    ICee Guest

    fiddaman64 wrote:
    > "ICee" <> wrote in message
    >

    >> It could be a BIOS beep code error. Determine the make of the BIOS
    >> and check against this list of error codes:
    >> http://www.amptron.com/html/bios.beepcodes.html
    >>

    > Thanks.
    >
    > How do I Determine the make of the BIOS?
    >
    > Bob

    Depends on the computer. When booting, the first screen is usually info
    about the BIOS. Press the Pause/Break key when the first screen
    appears. This will pause it so you can read the BIOS type. Then press
    Pause/Break again to continue with boot.
    Some manufacturers cover this screen with a logo. If this is the case,
    the "beeps" are generally different enough that you can determine what
    make the BIOS is without doing the above. If there is any pattern of
    beeps very shortly after powering on, it will be a BIOS beep code.
    Compare it to the list at the link provided.
    ICee, Jul 24, 2004
  16. fiddaman64

    fiddaman64 Guest

    "ICee" <> wrote in message
    > fiddaman64 wrote:
    > > "ICee" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > >> It could be a BIOS beep code error. Determine the make of the BIOS
    > >> and check against this list of error codes:
    > >> http://www.amptron.com/html/bios.beepcodes.html

    It is called Phoenix

    Bob
    fiddaman64, Jul 24, 2004
  17. fiddaman64

    ICee Guest

    fiddaman64 wrote:
    > "ICee" <> wrote in message
    >> fiddaman64 wrote:
    >>> "ICee" <> wrote in message

    > It is called Phoenix
    >

    > Bob

    Ok, Phoenix BIOS beep codes are listed about in the middle of the page
    at the link provided.
    ICee, Jul 24, 2004
  18. fiddaman64

    fiddaman64 Guest

    "ICee" <> wrote in message
    > fiddaman64 wrote:
    > > "ICee" <> wrote in message

    OK - Printed off the code and rebooted - it took me three times to reboot as
    the screen was off centre!!!

    The beeps are short and fast and there is no pattern - they just continue
    until I hit a key on the keyboard?

    Bob
    fiddaman64, Jul 24, 2004
  19. fiddaman64

    ICee Guest

    fiddaman64 wrote:

    [snip]

    > The beeps are short and fast and there is no pattern - they just
    > continue until I hit a key on the keyboard?
    >

    > Bob

    Meaning, the beeps occur immediately upon power up until you hit a key,
    or they continue until after Windows comes up and you hit a key?
    ICee, Jul 24, 2004
  20. fiddaman64

    fiddaman64 Guest

    "ICee" <> wrote in message

    > Meaning, the beeps occur immediately upon power up until you hit a key,
    > or they continue until after Windows comes up and you hit a key?

    They occur immediately upon power up until you hit a key.

    There is no code for this with Phoenix????

    Bob
    fiddaman64, Jul 24, 2004