    --
    Techie
    MCNGP #21
    Techie, Jan 8, 2004

  2. Techie

    Netwerkz Guest

    "Techie" <> wrote in message
    news:DM1Lb.52507$...
    > I am wondering if anyone here can offer some advice on using Ghost to

    create
    > images of Windows XP laptops and desktops that have been prepped using
    > Sysprep. What I would like to do is create "recovery CD" type CDs to

    install
    > on new PCs and Laptops to prepare them for deployment as quickly as
    > possible.
    >
    > I am using Norton Ghost Enterprise Edition Version 7.0 and have no problem
    > preparing a boot disk to map a shared drive to store the images but they

    end
    > up being like 2 to 3 GBs in size. Any ideas?
    >
    > --
    > Techie
    > MCNGP #21

    PowerQuest's Drive Image / Deploy Center offers an options
    to span an image across multiple files (specify 650 - 700 MB for
    each file) which can be burned to multiple CDs.

    I'm sure Ghost 7 must have a similar option.

    I have thougt about putting the images on DVD
    but not all our PCs/laptops have DVD readers and
    I'm not even sure it would work as I don't know that
    DVD's follow the same El Torito bootup style as CDs.
    Worth a try if you have time (or if i do for that matter) :)
    Netwerkz, Jan 8, 2004

  3. Techie

    Techie Guest

    Thanks I will take a look at the product you mentioned as well as having
    another look at Ghost

    --
    Techie
    MCNGP #21

    Techie, Jan 8, 2004
  4. Techie

    Dave Guest

    Ghost 7.5 definitely does allow spanning of cd's. Not sure about 7 though.
    You could always keep the images on a network share.

    Dave, Jan 8, 2004
  5. Techie

    Richard Guest

    Ive done exactly what you want to do using 7.0 and it
    works fine.

    Richard, Jan 8, 2004
  6. Techie

    David Guest

    I use Ghost 7.5 at work and run the images off a network share. At home I
    use Ghost 2003 and store my images on DVD/CD. (You can split an image
    accross multiple disks - Ghost does this automatically for you.)
    Ghost does not support writing to DVD-RW disks for my CD writer though
    (Sony). +RW's work ok and -R disks work ok. No problems with CD-RW's or
    CD-R disks.
    I've not tested ghost 7 or 7.5 for creating images to CD.

    NB - You use ghost to create the image directly onto the CD using a special
    boot disk. You also have the option to copy the boot files to the CD/DVD
    when your finished.

    Hope this helps!

    ***Ghost is a REAL life saver!!***

    David, Jan 9, 2004
  7. Techie

    J.R. Guest

    FAT32 has a limitation of a 2 gigabyte partition therefore
    Ghost will split the image at 2 gig since Ghost is run in
    a Dos environment...
    I use DVD's making the DVD bootable. With a little
    manipulation of Ghost command line switches you can
    automate the process.

    J.R., Jan 9, 2004
  8. Techie

    Netwerkz Guest

    "J.R." <> wrote in message
    > FAT32 has a limitation of a 2 gigabyte partition therefore
    > Ghost will split the image at 2 gig since Ghost is run in
    > a Dos environment...
    > I use DVD's making the DVD bootable. With a little
    > manipulation of Ghost command line switches you can
    > automate the process.

    [snipped]

    FAT16 has a 2GB limit.

    You confirmed it - can make bootable DVDs - cool!

    Have you had any compatibility problems with the image
    on DVD when you use it across different DVD readers?
    Netwerkz, Jan 9, 2004