Syslog Server and port

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by ns, Jun 16, 2005.

  1. ns

    ns Guest

    Hi all,

    am using on my routers "logging <syslog_server>" command to send messages to
    the syslog server.
    The routers use default protocol/port, so UDP/514 to send message to the
    syslog.

    How can i specify another port ?

    I can change port and protocol on the pix firewall but don't know if it's
    possible to do it on the router.

    On the PIX, the command is :
    logging host <interface> <syslog_server> <protocol>/<port>

    ThankYou very much for your help

    Best Regards
    NS

    ns, Jun 16, 2005

  2. In article <d8s48g$im0$>, "ns" <> writes:
    >am using on my routers "logging <syslog_server>" command to send messages to
    >the syslog server.
    >The routers use default protocol/port, so UDP/514 to send message to the
    >syslog.
    >
    >How can i specify another port ?
    >
    >I can change port and protocol on the pix firewall but don't know if it's
    >possible to do it on the router.
    >
    >On the PIX, the command is :
    >logging host <interface> <syslog_server> <protocol>/<port>

    I think you can't do it. What you may do is to specify a facility code. This is
    what we do to have separate logs for pixen and routers.

    Regards,
    Christoph Gartmann

    Immunbiologie
    D-79011 Freiburg, Germany

    Christoph Gartmann, Jun 17, 2005

  3. ns

    Ivan Ostres Guest

    In article <d8tsk3$g23$>,
    says...
    > In article <d8s48g$im0$>, "ns" <> writes:
    > >am using on my routers "logging <syslog_server>" command to send messages to
    > >the syslog server.
    > >The routers use default protocol/port, so UDP/514 to send message to the
    > >syslog.
    > >
    > >How can i specify another port ?
    > >
    > >I can change port and protocol on the pix firewall but don't know if it's
    > >possible to do it on the router.
    > >
    > >On the PIX, the command is :
    > >logging host <interface> <syslog_server> <protocol>/<port>

    > I think you can't do it. What you may do is to specify a facility code. This is
    > what we do to have separate logs for pixen and routers.

    You could probably use PAT to change destination port if that is what
    are you asking about.

    --
    Ivan

    *** User rot13 to see my eMail address ***

    Ivan Ostres, Jun 17, 2005
  4. ns

    ns Guest

    hummm... ok.

    ns, Jun 17, 2005
  5. ns

    ns Guest

    ThankYou very much for your help.

    NS

    message de news:d8tsk3$g23$...

    ns, Jun 17, 2005
  6. ns

    Ivan Ostres Guest

    In article <d8tsht$3bv$>, says...

    > hummm... ok.
    >
    > ThankYou very much for your help.

    Well, I can see that I confused you a bit. Why not try something like
    this:

    (I assume that packets to syslog server go through Ethernet0)

    Interface Ethernet 0
    ip address a.a.a.a
    ip nat outside

    ip nat outside source static udp <serv.ip> <new port> <serv.ip> 514

    logging host <serv.ip>

    You can observe how it works using 'debug ip nat det'. If it does not
    work (or if it does) post your results ;-).

    HTH,

    Ivan Ostres, Jun 17, 2005
  7. ns

    ns Guest