Sysfader Error

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rider, Mar 10, 2005.

  1. Rider

    Rider Guest

    Has anyone come across a "Sysfader: Explorer.exe - Application Error"
    warning message.

    This comes up when you try and go to Control Panel, My Computer, Windows
    Explorer .... basically anything that requires Explorer.exe to work.

    The complete error message also states that memory address ********* couldnt
    be written to. Then you get an option to click 'Ok' to get rid of the
    message or click 'Cancel' to debug. If you click 'Cancel' it doesnt debug
    .... it just locks up completely. If you click 'Ok' to get rid of the
    message, the desktop refreshes itself (the icons disappear and then
    reappear, I expect Explorer.exe is being restarted)

    I have scanned the hard drive externally for viruses and spyware ....
    nothing.
    I have searched Google and found a few sites regarding this error, most
    havent been able to fix it ... the few that had suggestions I have tried and
    it still hasnt fixed.

    I have tried sfc /scannow ... I have tried reinstalling IE6 as suggested by
    one website. I've now got to the point where a reload might be the only
    option, which for various reasons I'm not that keen on.

    Anyone have any idea's? Any help is appreciated.

    Rider

    PS: I can't even find a 'sysfader' file on the pc.

    Rider, Mar 10, 2005

  2. Rider

    akiwi Guest

    On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 10:51:24 +1300, "Rider"
    <> wrote:

    >Has anyone come across a "Sysfader: Explorer.exe - Application Error"
    >warning message.

    From this link
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=828133
    my guess this is a bug in windows that has random results, rather than
    a virus - plus the fact that various people report various apparent
    fixes.

    >This comes up when you try and go to Control Panel, My Computer, Windows
    >Explorer .... basically anything that requires Explorer.exe to work.
    >
    >The complete error message also states that memory address ********* couldnt
    >be written to. Then you get an option to click 'Ok' to get rid of the
    >message or click 'Cancel' to debug. If you click 'Cancel' it doesnt debug
    >... it just locks up completely. If you click 'Ok' to get rid of the
    >message, the desktop refreshes itself (the icons disappear and then
    >reappear, I expect Explorer.exe is being restarted)
    >
    >I have scanned the hard drive externally for viruses and spyware ....
    >nothing.
    >I have searched Google and found a few sites regarding this error, most
    >havent been able to fix it ... the few that had suggestions I have tried and
    >it still hasnt fixed.

    It probably won't help but did you see this suggestion to run xp disk
    check/repair. Looks like this problem was around in 2002
    http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/r1040846082

    >I have tried sfc /scannow ... I have tried reinstalling IE6 as suggested by
    >one website. I've now got to the point where a reload might be the only
    >option, which for various reasons I'm not that keen on.
    >
    >Anyone have any idea's? Any help is appreciated.
    >
    >Rider
    >
    >PS: I can't even find a 'sysfader' file on the pc.

    I saw it suggested sysfader is to do with xp menu fade.
    Did you see this link?
    http://blog.thedevins.com/archives/000838.php

    akiwi

    akiwi, Mar 10, 2005

  3. Rider

    akiwi Guest

  4. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "akiwi" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 10:51:24 +1300, "Rider"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Has anyone come across a "Sysfader: Explorer.exe - Application Error"
    >>warning message.

    > From this link
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=828133
    > my guess this is a bug in windows that has random results, rather than
    > a virus - plus the fact that various people report various apparent
    > fixes.
    >

    >>This comes up when you try and go to Control Panel, My Computer, Windows
    >>Explorer .... basically anything that requires Explorer.exe to work.
    >>
    >>The complete error message also states that memory address *********
    >>couldnt
    >>be written to. Then you get an option to click 'Ok' to get rid of the
    >>message or click 'Cancel' to debug. If you click 'Cancel' it doesnt debug
    >>... it just locks up completely. If you click 'Ok' to get rid of the
    >>message, the desktop refreshes itself (the icons disappear and then
    >>reappear, I expect Explorer.exe is being restarted)
    >>
    >>I have scanned the hard drive externally for viruses and spyware ....
    >>nothing.
    >>I have searched Google and found a few sites regarding this error, most
    >>havent been able to fix it ... the few that had suggestions I have tried
    >>and
    >>it still hasnt fixed.

    > It probably won't help but did you see this suggestion to run xp disk
    > check/repair. Looks like this problem was around in 2002
    > http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/r1040846082
    >

    >>I have tried sfc /scannow ... I have tried reinstalling IE6 as suggested
    >>by
    >>one website. I've now got to the point where a reload might be the only
    >>option, which for various reasons I'm not that keen on.
    >>
    >>Anyone have any idea's? Any help is appreciated.
    >>
    >>Rider
    >>
    >>PS: I can't even find a 'sysfader' file on the pc.
    >>

    > I saw it suggested sysfader is to do with xp menu fade.
    > Did you see this link?
    > http://blog.thedevins.com/archives/000838.php
    >
    > akiwi

    Cheers

    I had seen two of those, but not the last one. Thanks for the help.

    Rider

    Rider, Mar 10, 2005
  5. Rider

    Rider Guest

    Rider, Mar 11, 2005
  6. Rider

    akiwi Guest

    On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:00:58 +1300, "Rider"
    <> wrote:

    >"akiwi" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> You probably checked these already
    >> http://makeashorterlink.com/?T5BD345AA
    >>
    >> http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28260
    >>

    >I'd seen the first one but not the second. I think I try this solution from
    >one of the postersin the thread:
    >
    >"fixed it, after swearing very loudly and throwing some discs across the
    >room"
    >
    >I think thats my next best to try

    I don't get how running virus/ spyware checkers in safe mode could fix
    the problem - he didn't say that they actually found anything, and it
    didn't solve the problem for the other guy. I guess you've tried
    rebooting. Have you tried de-fragging? It might alter some timing.
    If you get the problem consistently on every reboot you could try
    disabling a few startup things and services, to see if anything makes
    the problem go away. Are you overclocking? You could try a RAM test
    but my experience with memtest86 was that it crashed if I moved the
    mouse - I think the BIOS was using some RAM that was being tested.

    akiwi

    akiwi, Mar 11, 2005
  7. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "akiwi" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:00:58 +1300, "Rider"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"akiwi" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> You probably checked these already
    >>> http://makeashorterlink.com/?T5BD345AA
    >>>
    >>> http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28260
    >>>

    >>I'd seen the first one but not the second. I think I try this solution
    >>from
    >>one of the postersin the thread:
    >>
    >>"fixed it, after swearing very loudly and throwing some discs across the
    >>room"
    >>
    >>I think thats my next best to try
    >>

    > I don't get how running virus/ spyware checkers in safe mode could fix
    > the problem - he didn't say that they actually found anything, and it
    > didn't solve the problem for the other guy.

    Yeah I agree - that seemed a bit odd.

    >I guess you've tried
    > rebooting. Have you tried de-fragging? It might alter some timing.
    > If you get the problem consistently on every reboot you could try
    > disabling a few startup things and services, to see if anything makes
    > the problem go away. Are you overclocking? You could try a RAM test
    > but my experience with memtest86 was that it crashed if I moved the
    > mouse - I think the BIOS was using some RAM that was being tested.
    >
    > akiwi

    Yup, I've defragged, disbaled items from everything to one program at a time
    (which took forever). Its not overclocked at all. I ran the system off the
    XP cd and ran chkdsk /r .... which says it found a few errors but once I
    rebooted it was still the same. Obviously not the errors I need fixed at
    this point.

    I've now ghosted the system to another hard drive so I can screw around with
    that until i find a fix (if I find a fix). A repair install might be
    necessary.

    Thanks for help and suggestions.

    Rider

    Rider, Mar 11, 2005
  8. Rider

    akiwi Guest

    On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:40:40 +1300, "Rider"
    <> wrote:

    >Yup, I've defragged, disbaled items from everything to one program at a time
    >(which took forever). Its not overclocked at all. I ran the system off the
    >XP cd and ran chkdsk /r .... which says it found a few errors but once I
    >rebooted it was still the same. Obviously not the errors I need fixed at
    >this point.
    >
    >I've now ghosted the system to another hard drive so I can screw around with
    >that until i find a fix (if I find a fix). A repair install might be
    >necessary.

    just in case you didn't see this one ... about turning off
    fade/transition effects, and mdm.exe - seems to be quite a few
    "solutions" for this problem

    akiwi, Mar 11, 2005
  9. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "akiwi" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:40:40 +1300, "Rider"
    > <> wrote:
    >>
    >>Yup, I've defragged, disbaled items from everything to one program at a
    >>time
    >>(which took forever). Its not overclocked at all. I ran the system off the
    >>XP cd and ran chkdsk /r .... which says it found a few errors but once I
    >>rebooted it was still the same. Obviously not the errors I need fixed at
    >>this point.
    >>
    >>I've now ghosted the system to another hard drive so I can screw around
    >>with
    >>that until i find a fix (if I find a fix). A repair install might be
    >>necessary.

    > just in case you didn't see this one ... about turning off
    > fade/transition effects, and mdm.exe - seems to be quite a few
    > "solutions" for this problem
    > http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=24363

    Well after I ghosted it to another hard drive and using that ... I was able
    to open Add/Remove Programs via the run command and running appwiz.cpl.

    Nothing significant in the list of software. So I decided to uninstall
    Service pack 2. I wasnt sure what this would do to the system though. After
    it went through the uninstall and rebooted ... HEY PRESTO ... its fixed
    LOL

    I'll now reinstall SP2 and see if the error re-occurs.

    I really appreciate the time and help you put in.

    Cheers
    Rider

    Rider, Mar 12, 2005
  10. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "Rider" <> wrote in message

    > "akiwi" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:40:40 +1300, "Rider"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Yup, I've defragged, disbaled items from everything to one program at a
    >>>time
    >>>(which took forever). Its not overclocked at all. I ran the system off
    >>>the
    >>>XP cd and ran chkdsk /r .... which says it found a few errors but once I
    >>>rebooted it was still the same. Obviously not the errors I need fixed at
    >>>this point.
    >>>
    >>>I've now ghosted the system to another hard drive so I can screw around
    >>>with
    >>>that until i find a fix (if I find a fix). A repair install might be
    >>>necessary.

    >> just in case you didn't see this one ... about turning off
    >> fade/transition effects, and mdm.exe - seems to be quite a few
    >> "solutions" for this problem
    >> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=24363
    >>

    > Well after I ghosted it to another hard drive and using that ... I was
    > able to open Add/Remove Programs via the run command and running
    > appwiz.cpl.
    >
    > Nothing significant in the list of software. So I decided to uninstall
    > Service pack 2. I wasnt sure what this would do to the system though.
    > After it went through the uninstall and rebooted ... HEY PRESTO ... its
    > fixed LOL
    >
    > I'll now reinstall SP2 and see if the error re-occurs.

    Reinstalled SP2 .... error has come back. I think a fresh reload is in
    order.

    Rider

    Rider, Mar 12, 2005
  11. Rider

    akiwi Guest

    On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 19:29:13 +1300, "Rider"
    <> wrote:

    >> Well after I ghosted it to another hard drive and using that ... I was
    >> able to open Add/Remove Programs via the run command and running
    >> appwiz.cpl.
    >>
    >> Nothing significant in the list of software. So I decided to uninstall
    >> Service pack 2. I wasnt sure what this would do to the system though.
    >> After it went through the uninstall and rebooted ... HEY PRESTO ... its
    >> fixed LOL
    >>
    >> I'll now reinstall SP2 and see if the error re-occurs.
    >>

    >Reinstalled SP2 .... error has come back. I think a fresh reload is in
    >order.

    That's a shame. Did you see this link and the comments at the end
    http://www.kbalertz.com/Feedback_839121.aspx

    I searched for
    "the memory could not be written" xp sp2

    The "memory could not be written" error message probably occurs a lot
    due to software bugs - I'm unsure how much write access an xp app
    has into the memory of a system app like explorer.exe - maybe only
    drivers like video drivers with extra privileges can corrupt the
    memory of another application. Did you install any new drivers
    recently - maybe windows update did.

    I'm gonna have to try and remember to create a restore point before
    installing anything from now on. I wonder if windows update creates a
    restore point before installing stuff.

    akiwi

    akiwi, Mar 12, 2005
  12. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "akiwi" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 19:29:13 +1300, "Rider"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>> Well after I ghosted it to another hard drive and using that ... I was
    >>> able to open Add/Remove Programs via the run command and running
    >>> appwiz.cpl.
    >>>
    >>> Nothing significant in the list of software. So I decided to uninstall
    >>> Service pack 2. I wasnt sure what this would do to the system though.
    >>> After it went through the uninstall and rebooted ... HEY PRESTO ... its
    >>> fixed LOL
    >>>
    >>> I'll now reinstall SP2 and see if the error re-occurs.
    >>>

    >>Reinstalled SP2 .... error has come back. I think a fresh reload is in
    >>order.
    >>

    > That's a shame. Did you see this link and the comments at the end
    > http://www.kbalertz.com/Feedback_839121.aspx
    >
    > I searched for
    > "the memory could not be written" xp sp2
    >
    > The "memory could not be written" error message probably occurs a lot
    > due to software bugs - I'm unsure how much write access an xp app
    > has into the memory of a system app like explorer.exe - maybe only
    > drivers like video drivers with extra privileges can corrupt the
    > memory of another application. Did you install any new drivers
    > recently - maybe windows update did.
    >
    > I'm gonna have to try and remember to create a restore point before
    > installing anything from now on. I wonder if windows update creates a
    > restore point before installing stuff.

    Its supposed to create a restore opint before updates are installed. However
    I have seen updates screw up a computer badly enough that you can't even get
    a restore to sart LoL

    Apparently they hadn't installed anything. I know them and trust that they
    indeed havent. I expect its an update.

    Thanks for your help.

    Rider

    Rider, Mar 12, 2005