    virus present.
    She is unable to remove or quarantine the syntap so what advise can I pass
    on.

    Rock, Feb 1, 2005

  2. Rock

    Guest

    On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 18:21:07 GMT, "Rock" <> wrote:

    |> My daughters friend is unable to log on to AOL.
    |> She has run an old version of Norton Anti Virus which is showing the syntap
    |> virus present.
    |> She is unable to remove or quarantine the syntap so what advise can I pass
    |> on.

    I remember that, not syntax huh :)

    Download and run Process Explorer
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

    Double click on the process and read it's image. This will tell you what
    and how it's being started. Stop the process and delete or rename the
    file and or it's parent file, s' how I'd start.

    It has to be said tho, being unable to connect to AOL isn't really a bad
    thing :)

    --
    http://www.mmegi.bw/2005/January/Monday31/8289540111175.html

    , Feb 1, 2005

  3. Rock

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Feb 1, 2005
  4. Rock

    Rock Guest

    These are all online anti virus programmes the problem is she is unable to
    get online

    Rock, Feb 1, 2005
  5. Rock

    °Mike° Guest

    That is not what you said. You said that she was unable
    to log on to AOHell. You also said that she was using
    an old version of Norton AV, which is why I included
    two links to AV software -- she should upgrade her out
    of date AV protection.

    On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 19:26:06 GMT, in
    <iJQLd.258$>
    Rock scrawled:

    >These are all online anti virus programmes the problem is she is unable to
    >get online
    >

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Free Online Antivirus scanners:
    >> ==================

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Feb 1, 2005
  6. Rock

    Rock Guest

    How can she upgrade if she cant get on line.
    Am I able to download an anti virus programme on a floppy which will get rid
    of her virus and give it to her, what is the santap virus

    Rock, Feb 1, 2005
  7. Rock

    °Mike° Guest

    On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 21:10:34 GMT, in
    <efSLd.726$>
    Rock scrawled:

    >How can she upgrade if she cant get on line.

    You don't necessarily need to be online to upgrade.
    You can contact Kaspersky UK directly for your
    daughter's friend. They will be able to advise you.

    Kaspersky Lab UK
    Culham Innovation Centre,
    D5 Culham Science Centre,
    Abingdon
    OX14 3DB

    Email:
    Sales Information:

    Phone numbers:
    General Information: 870 011 3461
    Fax: 870 011 3465
    Technical Support Service: 870 011 3464

    >Am I able to download an anti virus programme on a
    >floppy which will get rid of her virus and give it to her,

    You would need to put it on a CD, not a floppy.

    >what is the santap virus

    Never heard of it. What is the EXACT message that
    the old version of Norton gives? And please be
    precise in any spellings.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Feb 1, 2005
  8. Rock

    Rock Guest

    Are you saying she will have to buy a new anti virus programme

    Rock, Feb 1, 2005
  9. Rock

    °Mike° Guest

    It was you that said she has "an old version of Norton Antivirus".
    Using an old version is rather silly, and is asking for problems
    just like this. Antivirus software should be kept up to date, and
    the virus databases should also be updated AT LEAST once per
    day.

    On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 22:25:58 GMT, in
    <WlTLd.461$>
    Rock scrawled:

    °Mike°, Feb 1, 2005
  10. Rock

    Rock Guest

    Yes I know all that but this is a young girl of 16 from a broken home who is
    not computer savvy.
    Even if she is using an old version of Norton which is picking up the santap
    should at least it not quarantine the virus if it is identifying it.

    Can anyone tell me what the syntap virus does.

    Rock, Feb 2, 2005
  11. Rock

    Guest

    On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 07:10:47 GMT, "Rock" <> wrote:

    |> Even if she is using an old version of Norton which is picking up the santap
    |> should at least it not quarantine the virus if it is identifying it.
    |>
    |> Can anyone tell me what the syntap virus does.

    Would you happen to have a log of the virus scan that found the virus,
    you could post?

    --

    , Feb 2, 2005
  12. Rock

    G. Morgan Guest

    Subject: Re: Syntap
    Newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    => Rock <= wrote:

    >Yes I know all that but this is a young girl of 16 from a broken home who is
    >not computer savvy.
    >Even if she is using an old version of Norton which is picking up the santap
    >should at least it not quarantine the virus if it is identifying it.
    >
    >Can anyone tell me what the syntap virus does.

    There is no reference to any virus called "syntap" in Symantec's database: (see
    for yourself)
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/auto/index/indexS.html

    So how could Norton possibly have picked it up? Check your spelling.

    Burn a some AV software (w/updates), to a CD for her. Recommend she uninstall
    Norton. Also re-installing AOL might help.

    --

    -Graham

    Remove the snails to email

    G. Morgan, Feb 2, 2005
  13. Rock, <>, wrote:

    > Yes I know all that but this is a young girl of 16 from a broken home
    > who is not computer savvy.
    > Even if she is using an old version of Norton which is picking up the
    > santap should at least it not quarantine the virus if it is
    > identifying it.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me what the syntap virus does.

    You complete fucking moron. People are telling you they haven't heard of a
    virus called 'syntap' and now, all of a fucking sudden, it's 'santap', then
    it's fucking 'syntap' again.

    Make your fucking small mind up and get it written down, you fucking useless
    piece of shit.

    Divyaprabhava Shashidhar, Feb 2, 2005
  14. Rock

    Aunt Agatha Guest

    It is also rather silly to assume that if she can't use an old anti-virus,
    she would have to spend big on a new one. There are free ones too, some very
    good (google for more Mike's posts!)
    And 16 year old girls today, are far more computer savvy than we were at
    that age. In fact, when I was 16, a computervirus was pure SF.
    Speaking about google: looking for the mysterious Syntap, I came by their
    site http://www.syntap.com/downloads.htm
    which offers free software. Maybe the girl you try to help has downloaded a
    screensaver or software to make flashcards, mistakenly seen as a virus by
    the AV you used?

    Aunt Agatha
    Feeling like miss Marple, since there is something we don't see, we're
    surely all overlooking the obvious.
    BTW you'd better talk about protection with 16 year-olds. You know, when you
    were young, you knew certain threaths were there, but you were also about
    certain they would not harm you. Could be a virus, could be something
    else........ beware

    Aunt Agatha, Feb 2, 2005
  15. Aunt Agatha, <>, wrote:

    > And 16 year old girls today, are far more computer savvy than we were
    > at that age.

    They also suck cock and swallow far more than you did at that age.

    Chandra Prabha-pratap Shriharsha, Feb 2, 2005
  16. Rock

    Liz Guest

    Liz, Feb 2, 2005
  17. Rock

    Guest

    On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 15:02:49 GMT, "Liz" <> wrote:

    |> "Aunt Agatha" wrote
    |> > when I was 16, a computervirus was pure SF.
    |>
    |> When I was 16, Atari introduces the arcade version
    |> of Pong, the first video game.
    |>
    |> http://computermuseum.50megs.com/pong.htm

    See that machine that lady's got her arm on? That's space race, the
    first coin operated video game.

    My brother and I were at a bowling alley and came across it. It had 4
    controls, he took left and right, I took thrust, and fire, we crashed it
    :) (at the time we didn't know that, we thought we had broken it).

    --

    , Feb 2, 2005
  18. On 02 Feb 2005, Aunt Agatha scribbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    snip

    > were at that age. In fact, when I was 16, a computervirus was pure
    > SF. Speaking about google: looking for the mysterious Syntap, I

    snip

    When I was 16, an abacus was considered high-tech.....

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    You know what I like best about the NCAA Basketball Tournament? Sixty-

    The Old Sourdough, Feb 2, 2005
  19. Rock

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 07:10:47 GMT, in
    <X1%Ld.165$>
    Rock scrawled:

    >Yes I know all that but this is a young girl of 16 from a broken home who is
    >not computer savvy.

    And that makes a difference, how?

    >Even if she is using an old version of Norton which is picking up the santap
    >should at least it not quarantine the virus if it is identifying it.

    It may not be picking up ANYTHING. It may be throwing
    out a false positive.

    >Can anyone tell me what the syntap virus does.

    Then how about answering questions put to you?
    I see you have been asking this for some time, and
    it doesn't appear that you reply to straight questions
    with straight answers. For example, two posts ago,

    <quote>
    Never heard of it. What is the EXACT message that
    the old version of Norton gives? And please be
    precise in any spellings.
    <unquote>

    Now how about answering that?

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Feb 2, 2005
  20. Rock

    Rock Guest

    Mike the mouth, no such word as spellings who's a clever boy now.

    Rock, Feb 2, 2005