    Thanx,
    Mark C
    Nashville,TN

    Mark C, Aug 7, 2003

  2. Mark C wrote:
    > Please correct me if I am wrong....but it is my understanding that the 550
    > speed light will syc with almost any shutter speed of the 10D as long as it
    > (the speed light) is operating in the high speed syc mode. In reading the
    > manual it is not clear if the camera will syc to a studio lighting set up at
    > a shutterspeed higher than the default flash shutter speed of 1/60th.
    >
    > One would think that a studio strobe system whose flash duration is 1/3200
    > of a second...would syc with any shutter speed as long as it was triggered
    > properly.
    >
    > Can anyone speak to this?

    It all has to do with the shutters. In an SLR type camera the shutter
    consists of two parts. When the shutter opens, the first curtain slides
    across the film opening, then the second curtain follows along behind,
    making a strip that crosses the film to allow the exposure. On longer
    exposures (like 1/60th) the second curtain does not go across until
    after the first has completed the trip. At this point the entire film
    plane (or sensor) is exposed and it's safe to trip a flash.

    On shorter expsures where the first curtain has not gotten all the way
    across before the second starts, the entire frame is not exposed and
    firing the flash would result in a strip of light somewhere in the frame
    with the top and bottom of the picture being unexposed.

    So it's not the speed of the flash, it's the timing to make sure the
    flash only goes off while the film or imaging devices is completely exposed.

    Andrew McDonald, Aug 7, 2003

  3. Mark C wrote:

    > Please correct me if I am wrong....but it is my understanding that the 550
    > speed light will syc with almost any shutter speed of the 10D as long as it
    > (the speed light) is operating in the high speed syc mode. In reading the
    > manual it is not clear if the camera will syc to a studio lighting set up at
    > a shutterspeed higher than the default flash shutter speed of 1/60th.
    >
    > One would think that a studio strobe system whose flash duration is 1/3200
    > of a second...would syc with any shutter speed as long as it was triggered
    > properly.
    >
    > Can anyone speak to this?

    Canon E-TTL speedlite can sync beyond 1/200 only because they "strobe"
    while the second shutter curtain "chases" the first curtain across the
    film plane (ie. a very *long* flash duration). A single 1/3200 second
    flash burst will expose only a portion of the film plane if the shutter
    speed is faster than 1/200.
    --
    Dave Herzstein

    http://www.kjsl.com/~dave